The Student Room Group

Applying for 2010? **Deadline Extended to 22 Jan**

****For Late Applications check out this thread as well.*****

Deadlines
15 October: Oxbridge/Medicine/Dentistry/Veterinary Medicine
15 January: everything else, for guaranteed equal consideration EXTENDED to 22 JANUARY 2010
30 June: for immediate consideration by unis where there are vacancies

More information on Late applications is available in the Wiki.

International Applicants:
should note that these deadlines are broadly the same for you; once the 15 January deadline has passed there are no guarantees that a uni will consider your application. If you are planning to apply later than 15 January, check uni websites and with the Admissions Departments concerned to make sure that this is OK.

Applying early: the pros and cons
Some advisers will tell you that applying early gives you an advantage. It doesn’t, and is even less likely to do so this year. There are hints that after the problems in the 2008-09 round, when some unis found that they had made too many offers, that they will be slower to respond to applications and more likely to hold over everything until the 15 January deadline. This was already true of competitive courses such as History, English, Law, Economics, where unis like LSE, Warwick, Bristol, Durham, and Edinburgh have kept applicants waiting until March or even April for a decision. This can happen even with less competitive courses and unis - some unis have a policy not to look at anything until all applications are in. Others will do a preliminary screening which will weed out the obvious no-hopers and hold over the rest until January.

Applying early is not a recipe for rejection on the basis that you *might* be applying to Oxbridge. Unis do not see where else you have applied until all your decisions have been made. All those myths about how Durham will reject you automatically because they *think* you have applied to Oxbridge are just that: myths. It is possible for someone to be accepted by a top ten uni and rejected by others - the reason for this is that unis look for different things in their applicants. No uni is going to turn away a good applicant just because they might have applied to a competitor university!

Choosing unis and courses
By and large, forget ‘career prospects’ and go for what really interests you and you are good at. Avoid applying for a course just because you think it will guarantee you a high earning power in due course. If you fail it or end up dropping out because you hate it, all you will have is dented confidence and debt issues. Equally, don’t dismiss a minority interest course at a lower profile uni out of hand – if this is what you really want to do, go for it. Remember that grade entry requirements are often an indicator of popularity/fashion rather than quality, so don’t assume that it’s a rubbish course because the entry requirements are ‘only’ BBC.

A major advantage of not rushing to get your application in early is that this gives you time to consider your choices carefully. The number of threads posted on TSR from June onwards from people wanting to change their minds both about courses and unis demonstrates just how much things can change for you, even in a couple of months. So don’t rush it, even if your school is pressurising you to get it done early. There’s a long time between mid October and mid December. You will be two months further in to your A2 courses by then, and will have a much better sense of how the work is going and whether that A2 in Economics is quite as interesting as you thought it was going to be.

Remember that you do not have to enter all your choices at once. It is possible (and can be a good move) to add choices in later, and provided you have met the 15 January deadline you are still guaranteed equal consideration. Bear in mind though that your personal statement can’t be changed (although unis will sometimes accept an updated PS separately) so it makes sense to ensure that this is as good and as relevant to your course choices as it can be.

The uni and course codes are clearly shown on the relevant UCAS pages: check that you have entered these correctly. Course codes especially can be very similar to one another.

Once my application has gone in, how long does it take for my Welcome letter to arrive?
Usually within a few days if you are UK based. Once your application has been fully processed, you can usually get in to Track without having your letter to hand, using your UCAS ID number without spaces/hyphens and hitting the 'lost password' button.

Will I get Offers and When?
No-one can say. Sometimes people who on paper should get an offer don’t, and vice versa. However, you can reduce substantially the risk of ending up with more rejections than offers: How to Avoid Getting 5 Rejections

On its arrival, an application generally falls into three categories: Yes, No, and Maybe.

The ‘yes’ category will include people who very clearly and significantly exceed the standard required. These people are likely to get early offers from unis unless there are further selection procedures eg aptitude tests and/or interviews required.

The ‘no’ category will be people who simply do not meet the course entry requirements and/or their application is not strong enough compared with the expected standard; these people are likely to get a quick rejection.

The people who may be waiting a long time are in the ‘maybe’ group: those whose applications meet the essential requirements and the minimum standards expected, but where there are far more applicants than offers to be made. These go through a process of assessment which may include structured scoring systems for the paper application, aptitude tests, and ‘informal’ interviews. Which of these will apply depends on the course and uni.

Note that high entry requirements or so-called ‘prestige’ are no guide to how long it might take for a decision to come through. It can and does happen that Kent will take longer to send a decision than Durham. Some people get offers within days, others will wait months for a rejection. A browse around the forums would show up that Manchester, for example, has tended to be quick off the mark, whereas Edinburgh is much slower. As noted above, things may be different this year for all unis.

Conditional offers may be based on grades or UCAS scores and sometimes a mixture of both (or an offer may be expressed in both grades or UCAS points, in which case you must achieve one or the other). You may be required to achieve a particular grade in a specified subject. Certain subjects may be 'excluded' from an offer - eg General Studies, Critical Thinking, a mother tongue language. If you don't understand your offer email the uni admissions department and ask for clarification. Email is better because then you have a written record of their response should there be any query later.

Unconditional offers mean that the uni has accepted whatever qualifications you have achieved already as sufficient to meet their entry criteria. It is clear then that someone who is still doing their A2s or equivalent is unlikely to get an unconditional offer unless they already have achieved A2s in some subjects, or they are resitting but the grades they already have are sufficient for that uni.

Note that an unconditional offer is NOT the same as a 'matriculation' offer - EE - which is made occasionally by Cambridge and one or two other unis. It's called a matriculation offer because the national minimum entry (ie matriculation) requirement for all unis is two A2s, or equivalent (for mature students/those taking IB/students offering other qualifications similar in standard to A2s).

How will I know when a uni has made a decision?
Some unis acknowledge applications, others don't. Sometimes even between uni departments different acknowledgement arrangements apply. A lot of acknowledgements come by email, so check those spam folders regularly.

When your Track changes you will get an email from UCAS. These are sent out twice a day, but Track itself is updated pretty much constantly as decisions come in from the unis. This can include weekends too. It may be that you check Track and find a decision, when you haven't had an email to alert you to it. Also - not all emails saying that your Track has updated mean that there is a decision, though most do. If there isn't a new decision, something else has changed - the terms of an existing offer, a course code, whatever. Look around and if you can't work out what the change is contact UCAS to find out.

Rejections will show up on Track as 'unsuccessful' against the uni choice; you generally won't get a letter from the uni itself (unless it's Oxbridge, in which case you'll normally get the letter first).

Offers will also show up on Track, but most unis will write or email you to say that they are making you an offer. It's a race to see which you get first :smile:. If the offer is on Track, you can find out what its conditions are by clicking on the course code. Quite often unis won't tell you in the letter or email what the conditions of the offer are, and when this information gets to UCAS depends on the Admissions Office staff sending it through. This can sometimes take a few days.

Technical Stuff
Entering grades
You must make sure that you entered your grades for all your certificated qualifications correctly. If it comes to light that you have entered incorrect grades (and it’s interesting how often it happens in such cases that the actual grades are lower than what was submitted by the applicant) you must tell UCAS and the unis concerned immediately. Any offer that has been made to you could be withdrawn if it was made on the basis of wrong information, so it is very much worth your while to get this right at the outset. The UCAS page does explain it pretty clearly, but if you still can’t make sense of it contact UCAS directly for clarification. Note that you cannot enter UMS marks, only grades, against the module details, and that it is optional to do so at all. A U grade in anything - GCSE, AS, A2, AEA - does not have to be entered as you do not hold the qualification.

Grade Predictions
I’ve seen a few examples on here of teachers making unfairly low predictions, but generally the “But I know I’ll be able to improve from a C at AS to an A at A2” approach doesn’t cut any ice, for good reason. If a school gets a reputation for inaccurate predictions, this doesn’t help anyone. It also doesn’t help you if you are predicted unrealistically high grades which then become the offer you are working to.

Insist on knowing what your predictions are, however, as this is an important part of making sure your applications are pitched sensibly. Your referee is responsible for entering them on your application.

Personal Statement
Check out the Personal Statements FAQ and make use of the PS Help forum. Whatever you do, do not post your PS, or bits from it, in open forum as the UCAS plagiarism detector will find it. PS Help is safe from UCAS and other prying eyes because access to it is restricted by TSR.

Remember that UCAS removes all formatting and simply cuts off the end of the PS if you have exceeded the line/character limits. Unfortunately the Word line/character count doesn't work for UCAS, so whatever you do check using the preview function in the UCAS form that the PS has been entered properly, and also that you haven't left behind parts of previous drafts - it happens!

Reference

If you have pending AS grades and therefore can't enter the module grades, your referee should be asked to mention the stellar grades in your reference. It generally doesn't come across that well if you include this information in your PS.

If you are applying through a school/college centre, you ‘send’ your application to your referee, who will then add your reference and submit your application directly to UCAS. You may have seen your reference before it is submitted, but your school does not have to show it to you. If you want to see it, you can pay UCAS £10 and make an application under the Data Protection Act to do so (once your application has been submitted, of course).

If you are applying independently, your referee will have to send you your reference for you to upload into the form. Do not be tempted to make any amendments as unis do check with the referee that what they’ve received is what the referee actually wrote :smile:

Mistakes on the Form

Exam grades/plans: if you have made any errors (wrong grades, wrong exam board etc) notify UCAS and the unis immediately. You agreed to do this when you submitted your form. Unis can withdraw or change an offer if it turns out that the information you gave was wrong.

uni and/or course choices: you have 14 days in which to correct any errors/change your mind; after that you are stuck with it. So make sure you check your ‘welcome’ letter from UCAS carefully and contact them at once if there is a problem. Remember that you can only change a choice if a decision has not been made, so don't delay. Some unis reply very quickly!

Fee Status: notify UCAS and the unis if this has changed immediately

Remember that you signed an undertaking that the information you provided on the form was complete and accurate. Do not be tempted to tell lies. You will be found out – eventually – having wasted a lot of people’s time, including your own.

Other Issues
Fee Status
If you are not sure what yours is, check with Student Finance before you submit your application. Offers will be dependent on your status and a change could mean that your offer is withdrawn, so avoid that disappointment and get it right before you start.

Changes in Circumstances
If anything changes (eg you move, you decide to drop a subject or pick one up) make sure you tell UCAS and the unis straight away.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As the title asks really, where do our teachers (or centre officially) put our A-level predictions in the UCAS form?

Is it in some separate section where they select the grades with drop-down boxes, like we enter AS module grades and GCSEs, or are they just casually mentioned in their reference?

My friend told me the latter but it seems strange that such an important thing would be assigned to be mentioned just somewhere in the reference. :s-smilie:

Thanks.
Reply 2
I'm very very stuck :frown:

I want to study pharmacy, but want to stay at home in (North) London for many reasons. Luckily, LSOP and KCL are within an hour of my home, So I'm only applying for these two. My personal statement is all ready and geared towards my first choices.

My problem is, what to have as my back up plans?

I cant see nobody else in my situation as such, so i was wondering what kind of courses should i aply for that will still give me a chance of an offer? I'm predicted ABB, so I'm thinking pharmacology would be the best bet, as far as i know its the closest linked degree. However, if i don't get into pharmacy, I would be much happier taking biomedical sciences than pharmacology. Is biomedical sciences closely enough related for universitys to still offer me a place?
Reply 3
rachelso
I'm very very stuck :frown:

I want to study pharmacy, but want to stay at home in (North) London for many reasons. Luckily, LSOP and KCL are within an hour of my home, So I'm only applying for these two. My personal statement is all ready and geared towards my first choices.

My problem is, what to have as my back up plans?

I cant see nobody else in my situation as such, so i was wondering what kind of courses should i aply for that will still give me a chance of an offer? I'm predicted ABB, so I'm thinking pharmacology would be the best bet, as far as i know its the closest linked degree. However, if i don't get into pharmacy, I would be much happier taking biomedical sciences than pharmacology. Is biomedical sciences closely enough related for universitys to still offer me a place?
Why not leave the other choices unfilled for the moment until you see what happens? You don't have to choose everything now.
hi
in the page 'how to avoid getting 5 rejections' it says
"do not, absolutely not, apply for a course with a stated requirement (eg: Maths GCSE at A*; A2 French at A) that you don’t meet; those requirements are stated for a reason and all you will do is make the admissions tutor’s job very easy "
does this mean that if i apply for a ABB university, and my predicted grades are BBB, i wont get in?
thanks
Reply 5
angrydanmarin
hi
in the page 'how to avoid getting 5 rejections' it says
"do not, absolutely not, apply for a course with a stated requirement (eg: Maths GCSE at A*; A2 French at A) that you don’t meet; those requirements are stated for a reason and all you will do is make the admissions tutor’s job very easy "
does this mean that if i apply for a ABB university, and my predicted grades are BBB, i wont get in?
thanks
Your chances of an offer in that case are small, and if the A grade is required in a specified subject, it's almost certain that you'd get a very quick rejection. The only thing that might give you a chance - and it is only 'might' - is if you have mitigating circumstances to explain the lower grade/s.

Think of it this way: the uni sets a requirement of ABB. It does so because it reckons that it will get enough applicants to choose from, who are offering those grades. The only reason they'd look at someone with lower grades than that is if there is something very special about their application, that sets it apart from others and justifies lowering the entry requirements. It's also likely that if you did manage to get an offer, it would still be ABB. Assuming your predictions are fair, that would be a challenge to meet.
Reply 6
Secondary education is a formal qualification, right?

Do I need to just enter my grades or send translated copy of my sertificate(student from the EU)? If so, copies can be attached to the application in ucas or I have to send them separatly in each uni I apply?
P.S. I already finished school, and applying for the next(2010) year.

Also I'm studying at uni here for a year(in case if I won't get in uni in Scotland I can finish studies here and not loose one year), but subjects I have may improve the exam scores I had at school. I've emailed unis to ask if it actually can help me to make up them and the answer was positive, but how can I provide grades to uni? Scan as well translated student's-book and send it the end of year with all tests I passed at uni?

:smile: that must be the stupidest questions ever asked, I'm just confused :smile:)
Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 7
Help! My college is refusing to predict A2 grades any higher than those achieved at AS. I did pretty badly and got CCDE, but I am retaking most of the modules.

Is there any point applying this year if I am predicted CDE on my reference? Does it make any difference if I put them as pending on my ucas form? I want to apply for Biology at uni's asking for BBB/300 points

I am wondering now whether it is worth applying late when i have the results of the january resits, or to just take a gap year and apply for 2011?

Thanks
Reply 8
When do you receive letters from UCAS? :s-smilie: I haven't got any through...mind you I'm still filling out my application.

I'm slightly worried about maths. I didn't do credit (GCSE) maths, I did general which is a level bellow. But, I'm doing Higher (A-Level) Maths despite this. The requirement is credit maths at the minimum...do you think that they won't reject me since I'm doing Higher Maths to make up for the lack of a credit grade? :sad:
Reply 9
DJkG.1
As the title asks really, where do our teachers (or centre officially) put our A-level predictions in the UCAS form?

Is it in some separate section where they select the grades with drop-down boxes, like we enter AS module grades and GCSEs, or are they just casually mentioned in their reference?

My friend told me the latter but it seems strange that such an important thing would be assigned to be mentioned just somewhere in the reference. :s-smilie:

Thanks.

Bump...

My thread got moved into this one and I hope it doesn't get hidden!

Thanks.
Hi, I'm hoping to go to Keele to study Law but I don't know whether I should apply for foundation year or LLB. I got BCD at AS (re-sitting the D) and Keele require 340-360 points including AB. My other option is joint honours Law for which I need 320 points including BB.
I haven't managed to get a work placement for Law and I don't know what my references will be like because my attendance was bad for AS although I do have a reason for it.
Reply 11
Surely in this thread there should be something about the change regards to route B, as the deadline for some courses is still 24th March.
Reply 12
If you have pending AS grades and therefore can't enter the module grades, your referee should be asked to mention the stellar grades in your reference. It generally doesn't come across that well if you include this information in your PS.

Is this also for Medicine, I'm retaking a module each for chem and bio, should my first module grades be mentioned?
I'm applying to Oxford and UCL for History, but my other 3 applications are for slightly different joint honours courses involving History (History and International Relations at LSE for example).

I know that I have to apply to Oxford by October 15th, and I will apply to UCL at the same time as I'm going for a Single Honours History degree at both. Would it be possible/advisable to put in a different application for the other courses?

If I can apply to the other three unis for the January 15th deadline then would I be able to apply with a different personal statement?

Thanks
Reply 14
stephenayres
I'm applying to Oxford and UCL for History, but my other 3 applications are for slightly different joint honours courses involving History (History and International Relations at LSE for example).

I know that I have to apply to Oxford by October 15th, and I will apply to UCL at the same time as I'm going for a Single Honours History degree at both. Would it be possible/advisable to put in a different application for the other courses?

If I can apply to the other three unis for the January 15th deadline then would I be able to apply with a different personal statement?

Thanks

You can only do one application, period.
Reply 15
In the UCAS form, where you put the module's you've taken, do you have to put the name of the module or the code?

Also, my AS levels have been cashed in, so I've had to put the AS levels as a separate grade. When I put in the A2 levels, do I leave the first three modules blank, and put the last three modules as the A2 ones? Or do I just put the A2 modules in the first boxes?

My college isn't very helpful :p:
Reply 16
anyone??
Reply 17
DJkG.1

Thanks.

Need to know this aswell, thanks.
I already finished my IB in May 2009 but I'm retaking a few subjects in May 2010.
How am i supposed to enter grades for this??
Reply 19
stardust123
I already finished my IB in May 2009 but I'm retaking a few subjects in May 2010.
How am i supposed to enter grades for this??

Stick all your certificated IB subjects in with grades achieved. Put in the subjects you're retaking, with the grade as pending (so you will have the subject twice, one with the grade you got, another set as grade pending). I'm assuming this is right because that is how you do it for A-level.

Latest

Trending

Trending