Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Baker Tilly/RSM first-stage assessment, what to expect?

Announcements Posted on
  1. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have been invited to the first-stage assessment center at Baker Tilly/RSM.

Anyone that has already done this, what can I expect on the day? Also, what can I expect in the Numerical and Verbal Reasoning tests?

Any other pointers would be great, too.

Thanks
  2. Offline

ReputationRep:
    It's basically just written verbal & numerical tests. You'll be given a booklet compiled of articles and reports around a general company and topic. You will then use the information in these to complete both tests (one after another), marking your answers on a separate answer sheet. The numerical is harder than the verbal as you will need to flick between pages to find the data you need to use for each calculation. Whereas the verbal questions are pretty much in order of the articles.
  3. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I have this tomorrow and I'm so worried.
    Are there any certain topics I should revise for the numerical one?
  4. Offline

ReputationRep:
    It's nothing complex. Multiplication, division, averages, percentage change, etc. Just the normal topics that you'd expect
  5. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pav.hayer)
    I have this tomorrow and I'm so worried.
    Are there any certain topics I should revise for the numerical one?
    Hey, hope it went well. I have my next week, can you shed some lights on what I should revise? Was it harder than the online ones?
  6. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sfs1012)
    Hey, hope it went well. I have my next week, can you shed some lights on what I should revise? Was it harder than the online ones?
    Literally so easy. much easier than the online ones. If you're performing well online, you'll do very well in this one.

I don't think there is a high pass requirement. I know someone who didn't answer the last 6 questions on the maths one and got through.

Just revise basic maths really. Make sure you can do percentages/ratios/fractions etc, very basic stuff.
  7. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    Literally so easy. much easier than the online ones. If you're performing well online, you'll do very well in this one.

I don't think there is a high pass requirement. I know someone who didn't answer the last 6 questions on the maths one and got through.

Just revise basic maths really. Make sure you can do percentages/ratios/fractions etc, very basic stuff.
    Omg I found it the opposite, the online ones were so easy, I found it pretty hard tbh, the verbal one is fine, but numerical - I hated it!!
  8. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)

Cheers, I will work on those. How many questions are there and how much time do you have in total?
  9. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sfs1012)
    Cheers, I will work on those. How many questions are there and how much time do you have in total?
    Maths, it was 30 questions in 35 minutes. For the verbal, it was 40 questions in 20 minutes.

It is based off a case study they give you - nothing to be alarmed over, just a different way of asking the questions.
  10. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Hi, do they conduct any interviews or any other assessment activity during the first stage assessment centre? Or is it just the tests?

Thanks in advance
  11. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v4eva)
    Hi, do they conduct any interviews or any other assessment activity during the first stage assessment centre? Or is it just the tests?

Thanks in advance
    Just tests
  12. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    Maths, it was 30 questions in 35 minutes. For the verbal, it was 40 questions in 20 minutes.

It is based off a case study they give you - nothing to be alarmed over, just a different way of asking the questions.
    Fair enough, thanks. Best way to prepare you'd say? Is it really different that it was on a case study, doesn't it make it harder?

Also do you read the case study before you answer the questions or is that up to you? Like you can read q's before...
  13. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chelysc)
    Fair enough, thanks. Best way to prepare you'd say? Is it really different that it was on a case study, doesn't it make it harder?

Also do you read the case study before you answer the questions or is that up to you? Like you can read q's before...
    Just keep practicing the numerical and verbal reasoning tests online. Nah not one bit, the case study is just information, the questions will be like "In the section on Land Development, the graph showcases the funds needed to purchase different machinery. What % of the total funds was needed for Machine A" or something like that. The regular online numerical and verbal reasoning tests will put you in good stead.

Yes, I think you get some time to go through it before the test. Obviously refer back to it during the test, but you get a chance to read through it beforehand.
  14. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    Just keep practicing the numerical and verbal reasoning tests online. Nah not one bit, the case study is just information, the questions will be like "In the section on Land Development, the graph showcases the funds needed to purchase different machinery. What % of the total funds was needed for Machine A" or something like that. The regular online numerical and verbal reasoning tests will put you in good stead.

Yes, I think you get some time to go through it before the test. Obviously refer back to it during the test, but you get a chance to read through it beforehand.
    Thank you so much for that. For the verbal reasoning is it just true/false/cannot say?
  15. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for that. For the verbal reasoning is it just true/false/cannot say?
    I think so, yeah. I did this test a few months ago so I cannot remember exactly, but I'm 99% sure it was just true/false/cannot say. They're may have been a "more information needed" option or something additional, but I don't think there was.
  16. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
  17. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys know who the test supplier is for this exam? SHL or what? Because they give links but is there a specific supplier from?
  18. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys know who the test supplier is for this exam? SHL or what? Because they give links but is there a specific supplier from?
    Hey what offices did you apply for? I've been told I'm through to the test stage but no information yet.
  19. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone has received/accepted an offer for the London Farringdon office?!
  20. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I've also been invited to do verbal reasoning and numerical online tests, any tips?

What are the verbal reasoning tests like?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR

How to predict exam questions

No crystal ball required

Poll
How will you be voting in the EU referendum?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.