The Student Room Group

Can I get into actuarial profession with a Music degree...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jelkin
CT8 and ST4. I feel a bit sick about how little I know about CT8. How has it come to this??

My motivation has been exceedingly poor this sitting. I'm only really starting to feel ready to study now ...

ONE WEEK. Like that Barenaked Ladies song.

Same here with SA3, if it helps soothe the guilty feelings. Difference is, I honestly believe that no amount of revision can truly prepare you for the SA exam!
Original post by JohnnySPal
Same here with SA3, if it helps soothe the guilty feelings. Difference is, I honestly believe that no amount of revision can truly prepare you for the SA exam!

Sounds like it!

How do you integrate again?

Oh God.
Original post by Jelkin
Sounds like it!

How do you integrate again?

Oh God.

JohnnySPal's master guide to integration:

Select a random function

Add a constant c to it

Differentiate

If steps 1-3 give you the thing you're trying to integrate (with that funny "S" symbol and the "dx" bit removed) then the answer is the function you selected. Else go back to step 1.

Simples.

(Hey, I've seen worse explanations in some of the CT course notes.)
Reply 2103
OK CA1 let's do this.

By the way, does anybody know what this "risk" concept they keep banging on about is?
Original post by munn
OK CA1 let's do this.

By the way, does anybody know what this "risk" concept they keep banging on about is?

A Google image search or this funny word "risk" suggests this:

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/170311/file-409105875-jpg/images/risk_management.jpg

But I actually think this is what they mean when they refer to senior management as being "risk averse".
Reply 2105
Ah crap.

I spent at least 45 minutes talking about this

Original post by munn
Ah crap.

I spent at least 45 minutes talking about this

Greens to win.
Example of a risk mitigation strategy:

risks.jpg
Does anyone know what the passing criterion is for CA1? Do you have to pass both papers individually, or can you get less than the pass percentage one one, more than the pass percentage on the other and thus pass overall?

Can a surplus of marks in one paper cross-subsidise a deficit of marks in another? Are there any minimum-mark-requirements defined for each paper on an individual basis? :p:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
Does anyone know what the passing criterion is for CA1? Do you have to pass both papers individually, or can you get less than the pass percentage one one, more than the pass percentage on the other and thus pass overall?

Can a surplus of marks in one paper cross-subsidise a deficit of marks in another? Are there any minimum-mark-requirements defined for each paper on an individual basis? :p:

I was always under the impression that in order to pass you had to pass both exams independently. This was especially so in the past where the exams were split into a "Liabilities" and an "Assets" paper to prevent students only learning one part of the course really well and then winging the other part.

In my tutorial they said there may be a small margin of flexibility allowed between the two papers.. I certainly hope so as I completely cocked up my time managements on the first paper and thought that if I planned for an hour and quarter, then the two hours left would be more than enough to write up my answers...

It's not....

I managed to scramble something down for each questions but really didn't stretch myself.

But today I had 40 mins spare since I only planned for 20 mins and think I did a much better job - so I'm really hoping that if I can score somewhere between 45 and 50 in paper 1 and 65 to 70 in paper two, that might just scrape a pass!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TomLeigh

It's not....

I managed to scramble something down for each questions but really didn't stretch myself..

You might be advised not to post specifics about any questions especially given your easy to guess name...
Original post by Shillington
You might be advised not to post specifics about any questions especially given your easy to guess name...

Duly noted and removed - silly error!

Select a random function

Add a constant c to it

Differentiate

If steps 1-3 give you the thing you're trying to integrate (with that funny "S" symbol and the "dx" bit removed) then the answer is the function you selected. Else go back to step 1.

Simples.

Give me an example with an actual function, please. :smile:
Reply 2114
In my tutorial they said there may be a small margin of flexibility allowed between the two papers.. I certainly hope so as I completely cocked up my time managements on the first paper and thought that if I planned for an hour and quarter, then the two hours left would be more than enough to write up my answers...

It's not....

I managed to scramble something down for each questions but really didn't stretch myself.

But today I had 40 mins spare since I only planned for 20 mins and think I did a much better job - so I'm really hoping that if I can score somewhere between 45 and 50 in paper 1 and 65 to 70 in paper two, that might just scrape a pass!

That is the impression I was given from tutorials too - as the paper isn't really split and in theory any question can be asked on any day it makes sense too - if you absolutely nail 1 paper with 95 marks and got 50 in the other it'd be harsh to fail overall, no?

I'm hoping that's the case anyway as I'm in a similar predicament to you in that the first paper didn't go so well but the second paper did. Mostly from lack of knowledge rather than poor planning though!

IIRC it's the combined mark, but they could still in theory fail you if your individual scores are ridiculously unbalanced. I gather that it very, very rarely happens.

Would make sense since they can ask anything on either paper these days.

Original post by Juichiro
Give me an example with an actual function, please. :smile:

Find silly S thing sinx dx

1) Choose a function completely at random: f(x) = -cosx
2) Add a constant: -cosx + c
3) Differentiate
4) Oh look! No need to go back to (1)

Note: I may have an exceptionally intelligent random function generator module attached to my integrating model.

Original post by Shillington
I was always under the impression that in order to pass you had to pass both exams independently. This was especially so in the past where the exams were split into a "Liabilities" and an "Assets" paper to prevent students only learning one part of the course really well and then winging the other part.

It's your overall mark. I think they'd only look at the balance of marks if you were borderline. :bhangra:

It's not....

I recall you from days of old! What's up? What are you doing these days? I'm struggling to remember what you posted about but I think it may have been you deciding whether to take a job? Or was it something to do with taking the exams under your own steam?

Select a random function

Add a constant c to it

Differentiate

Simples.

THANK GOD I READ THIS IN TIME FOR CT8 TOMORROW. You lifesaver.

I'm still not motivated. I've got, like, 12 hours, and I can't be bothered. I don't know what the matter with me is.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jelkin
THANK GOD I READ THIS IN TIME FOR CT8 TOMORROW. You lifesaver.

I'm still not motivated. I've got, like, 12 hours, and I can't be bothered. I don't know what the matter with me is.

Please perform less reputation incest before rating this member again.

Have you had a go at CT8 already? I thought it was one of the nicer CTs myself and I found myself relatively motivated for that one, but I equally know people who strongly disagree with me.

... But I know how you feel. I'm really struggling to motivate myself for the SA, which you think wouldn't be a problem since it's the last one :sexface:

... But I know how you feel. I'm really struggling to motivate myself for the SA, which you think wouldn't be a problem since it's the last one :sexface:

Ditto that. Although at least I have the excuse that it's not the last one...
Original post by Jelkin
I recall you from days of old! What's up? What are you doing these days? I'm struggling to remember what you posted about but I think it may have been you deciding whether to take a job? Or was it something to do with taking the exams under your own steam?

You.... remember me?! Wahoooo!

Found a link to my original post:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1114685&page=12

See my essay there, and later how I describe how I ended up getting an offer from TW, where I still am. Loving Pensions consultancy, have now done 6 CTs (got CT5 and CT6 left) and just taken CA1 as you probably just read.

Really hoping I pass it... my manager actually clarified that they do indeed take the combined mark as an overall mark, as the questions are typically balanced across the papers so they don't discriminate between your individual performances.

Hope CT8 went well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending