The Student Room Group

Can I get into actuarial profession with a Music degree...

Scroll to see replies

Also I've heard they're hard but how hard are they compared to say university examinations. I've looked at some examinations and they seem to be multiple choice?
Those are the "easier" ones. I was told the tougher employers may look down on you if you've opted to take CT7 CT2 CT3 first instead of doing the exams in order.
Original post by Tokyoround
Those are the "easier" ones. I was told the tougher employers may look down on you if you've opted to take CT7 CT2 CT3 first instead of doing the exams in order.

Opted? U can opt to do particular actuarial exemption related modules at university, what ever the uni teaches firstly and what the syllabus is, is what you'll do firstly
Original post by the greatest
Opted? U can opt to do particular actuarial exemption related modules at university, what ever the uni teaches firstly and what the syllabus is, is what you'll do firstly

I meant in regard to completing the exams on your own. With a degree I guess exemptions could arise in any given order. I originally studied actuarial science at Kent and they said you only got exemptions if you got 80+% in particular modules, with targets that high it's understandable if not everyone gets all the exemptions. Then again, I only did one year before leaving so things might have changed.
I meant in regard to completing the exams on your own. With a degree I guess exemptions could arise in any given order. I originally studied actuarial science at Kent and they said you only got exemptions if you got 80+% in particular modules, with targets that high it's understandable if not everyone gets all the exemptions. Then again, I only did one year before leaving so things might have changed.

I see what you mean. Yea i think actuarial companies begin the examination procedures in order, which does seem like some sense, as CT1 should be taught first and the dreadful looking paper of CT8. Where r u at now? or are you in work currently?
To those of you who have an actuarial job... how did you go about finding the right employer? How many companies did you apply for? If it wasn't a graduate scheme and you needed prior experience, how'd you get it?
Original post by the greatest
I see what you mean. Yea i think actuarial companies begin the examination procedures in order, which does seem like some sense, as CT1 should be taught first and the dreadful looking paper of CT8. Where r u at now? or are you in work currently?

Did a computer science degree instead, now work for an energy company in baker street doing some analysis and a few other IT related things while studying for the coming September exams. Hoping to move departments or find another job once I pass a few exams. A friend of mine just graduated from kent, aced it walked out with all 8 exemptions and landed a great job. Depressing :dry:
Original post by wanderlust.xx
To those of you who have an actuarial job... how did you go about finding the right employer? How many companies did you apply for? If it wasn't a graduate scheme and you needed prior experience, how'd you get it?

It's all earlier in this thread.

Also, to the other guy above, are they chuff multiple choice papers. About quarter of two CTs are multiple choice.
Did a computer science degree instead, now work for an energy company in baker street doing some analysis and a few other IT related things while studying for the coming September exams. Hoping to move departments or find another job once I pass a few exams. A friend of mine just graduated from kent, aced it walked out with all 8 exemptions and landed a great job. Depressing :dry:

Oh wow, that's impressive! I've done quite a bit of research into actuary now, and generally it appeals to me greatly simply because you're quite literally paid to study... best profession ever. Also genuinely interested in anything related to business (working with M&A sounds fun) or economics. My only concern now is whether I'd be capable of a good career in actuary. I'm not incredibly fond of A level stats, even though I managed 91 with my uni probability module... urgh, hard decision. Either I say actuary would be too academically challenging and give up and go for audit/ACA instead, or I truck along and find out if I'm capable the hard way.

Original post by JohnnySPal
It's all earlier in this thread.

Also, to the other guy above, are they chuff multiple choice papers. About quarter of two CTs are multiple choice.

I've just read the entire thread. Pretty concise on info for graduates, actually. Very helpful, even if some of it was just you and Jelkins talking about Prison Break and pasta for lunch. :awesome:
Original post by Chewwy
sigh.

Please rate some other members before rating this member again.

I really wish that people would learn to use the word actuary properly in a sentence, especially those who claim to have done quite a bit of research. It must be excruciatingly painful for interviewers. Sigh.

I hated stats at uni. I kinda like it now. Nuff said.
Are actuarial examinations more or less difficult than mathematics / stats examinations at university?

I've taken a look at the exams and syllabus; is the difficulty in the actual content, the examinations or simply the time you have to study for them?
Reply 451
Original post by IceWater
Are actuarial examinations more or less difficult than mathematics / stats examinations at university?

I've taken a look at the exams and syllabus; is the difficulty in the actual content, the examinations or simply the time you have to study for them?

if you've studied maths at university, then they're easier (the maths-centric exams at least, which are in the a minority in the grand scheme of things)

if you've studied something else... i imagine they're satisfactorily challenging.
Original post by Chewwy
if you've studied maths at university, then they're easier (the maths-centric exams at least, which are in the a minority in the grand scheme of things)

if you've studied something else... i imagine they're satisfactorily challenging.

Ah okay. Yeah I think I assumed that maths was a major component of hte examinations but from looking at the exams and looking at the previous pages on this thread, there seem to be a lot of multiple choice stuff, written stuff etc. It actually sounds extremely interesting and a career I'm considering, the only thing I worry about is if there's variety / challenge in the actual work after a while. But I guess I'll find that out later :smile:
Variety? Challenging??? Lol.

Thoughts on Prince2? Relevant/worth acquiring a certificate?
Reply 454

Thoughts on Prince2? Relevant/worth acquiring a certificate?

if you work on big programmes (or want to) then yes...
Reply 455
Where the *******s is Jelkinson these days?

My bad, I've been in Asia for the last three and a half months. But I got back yesterday and now have just under four weeks to reinstate my nerdiness/find somewhere to live in London before I start my job :awesome: The first three days are team-building stuff in Glasgow, which should hopefully be fun. Congrats on your passes by the way!

The counter-example on TSR will forever more be Jelkin - I have no doubt she's one spectacularly clever lady, but she has an English degree so was in theory at a massive disadvantage compared to most.

Sure was, although I do think that on the other hand I will have stood out from the huge pile of decent maths grads that the firms must have to sift through. Then again, let's not forget I also failed CT1! Hah. I haven't told my fellow newbies that yet because I think they're already wondering, "How did she get this job?"

I met a guy while travelling who had trained as an actuary for five years before giving up because the exams were too hard ... and he'd done a maths degree at Warwick :erm: I am getting a little nervous about the exams, actually. Mainly because I want to prove that I am good enough despite all evidence to the contrary. Then again, I'm feeling good about taking CT1 again, and I'm glad that I will already have read and made notes on the material. The thing to do will be to practise practise practise, which is where I went wrong last time.

wanderlust.xx
I've just read the entire thread. Pretty concise on info for graduates, actually. Very helpful, even if some of it was just you and Jelkins talking about Prison Break and pasta for lunch. :awesome:

Damn straight. I never actually finished Prison Break - Season 4 was really a challenge to get through. But I still plan to. Perseverance is the key.

I think today I will have a grilled cheese and tomato toastie for lunch. :u:
Original post by Jelkin
I met a guy while travelling who had trained as an actuary for five years before giving up because the exams were too hard ... and he'd done a maths degree at Warwick :erm: I am getting a little nervous about the exams, actually. Mainly because I want to prove that I am good enough despite all evidence to the contrary. Then again, I'm feeling good about taking CT1 again, and I'm glad that I will already have read and made notes on the material. The thing to do will be to practise practise practise, which is where I went wrong last time.

God how dare you gain life experience abroad, when you COULD HAVE BEEN ON TSR :judge:

Did you receive a fail grade through the post? That should tell you how much work you need to do (FA = Not very much, FD = Oh ****). You'll be fine I'm sure, but like the rest of us you're in for a hard life. SIGH.

Meat for me for tea. Mmm.
Can somebody tell me weather an Actuarial science degree would be a good route to take if I want to become an Actuary (fairly sure, although not 100% certain). Also, preferably at CASS or LSE

Do actuarial firms like/dislike this route, and for what reasons?

will it make me less employable in the future?
Original post by milanmylove
Can somebody tell me weather an Actuarial science degree would be a good route to take if I want to become an Actuary (fairly sure, although not 100% certain). Also, preferably at CASS or LSE

Do actuarial firms like/dislike this route, and for what reasons?

will it make me less employable in the future?

A degree will normally net you exemptions from CT1 to CT8 exams which will give you a massive headstart. A good Actuarial science degree combined with some basic computing/programming certificates will have employers falling over themselves for you.

Only do the degree if you are 100% sure you want to be an Actuary or something along the lines, most Actuarial science courses are quite tough and you will usually need to score a fairly high percentage to be granted the exemptions.
Reply 459
God how dare you gain life experience abroad, when you COULD HAVE BEEN ON TSR :judge:

Did you receive a fail grade through the post? That should tell you how much work you need to do (FA = Not very much, FD = Oh ****). You'll be fine I'm sure, but like the rest of us you're in for a hard life. SIGH.

Meat for me for tea. Mmm.

"Tea", so Northern. I was imagining some sort of hot, meat-flavoured beverage.

Yeah, I did in the end. I got, er, an FC. Not ideal really. But I didn't expect to do well when I took the exam, and I definitely think I could have done a LOT better. I understood the basic material, I just needed to practise way more than I did. Which is what I will spend my time doing next time around! Then again, I am also bloody anxious about it all, so this is merely desperate self-justification really :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending