The Student Room Group

Can I get into actuarial profession with a Music degree...

Scroll to see replies

I have to go to a 'registration' to get all my paperwork checked for my internship - do I have to wear business dress for that, or should I just go one step smarter than usual?
Original post by RibenaRockstar
I have to go to a 'registration' to get all my paperwork checked for my internship - do I have to wear business dress for that, or should I just go one step smarter than usual?

I'd imagine you won't be there for too long, but if you're joining a relatively small company then you may be taken around and introduced to people. I'd probably just go one step smarter than usual.
Reply 1942
Original post by Jelkin

To other actuarial people: I'm considering retaking CT4 along with an ST this summer but I'm wondering if that would be too much work for the summer sitting? I'll be a bit rusty on CT4 but at least I won't be learning it from scratch ...

I think that's doable, albeit tough - I know quite few people passed CA1 first sitting having picked it up around this time last year, I'd say that's a bit of a tougher workload than an ST and retake. If it were me I'd probably just do the ST though and sit CT4 in April
Have you guys seen this new qualification? CAA? Seems like the institute are targeting school leavers and people who may not necessarily meet the requirements of the full exams. http://www.actuaries.org.uk/becoming-actuary/caa

3 years study for a level 4 qualification seems a bit ridiculous though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by munn
I think that's doable, albeit tough - I know quite few people passed CA1 first sitting having picked it up around this time last year, I'd say that's a bit of a tougher workload than an ST and retake. If it were me I'd probably just do the ST though and sit CT4 in April

Thanks! Hmmmm, need to decide. It is tempting. I'm considering ordering the material and having a look, then I can save it for another sitting. But they might update the syllabus quite a bit.

Original post by Tokyoround
Have you guys seen this new qualification? CAA? Seems like the institute are targeting school leavers and people who may not necessarily meet the requirements of the full exams. http://www.actuaries.org.uk/becoming-actuary/caa

3 years study for a level 4 qualification seems a bit ridiculous though.

I guess it's because you'd only be studying part-time?
Original post by Jelkin
x

I have a few questions:

- Does it matter if I get a high or low first? For instance, in my first year I think I've averaged around 80% (Bsc Mathematics UCL), while I knew a few people who were on around 90. Would they be more desirable for internships?

- I've just finished my first year, what can I do in the summer to make myself more competitive? I was thinking of picking up programming and travelling but these seem very generic, is there anything I can specifically do to help me get into the actuarial field?

If anyone can answer my questions! Thanks.
Any chance someone could help me with this CT2 MCQ question - I can't see why the answer would be A? Or any of them really!

Thanks! CT2 Q.png

Doesn't seem like my attachment wants to work!

Q Ltd has a stock turnover of 40 days, debtors turnover of 45 days and creditors turnover of 47 days. How long, on average, does each £1 invested in working capital stay tied up?

A 38 days
B 42 days
C 85 days
D 132 days
(edited 9 years ago)
Quick question, I'm doing a 4 year Actuarial degree and I averaged just under 60% in first year, but my average has fallen big time in year 2 and I'm going to have to resit a few modules in August to get myself back on track.

Should I even bother applying for internships next year?
Original post by orange crush
Quick question, I'm doing a 4 year Actuarial degree and I averaged just under 60% in first year, but my average has fallen big time in year 2 and I'm going to have to resit a few modules in August to get myself back on track.

Well what do you have to lose by applying... As long as you're truthful, they'll decide if it's good enough or not. Make your applications early before you start back at uni and it won't affect your studies.
Original post by orange crush

Might as well give it a go! Definitely apply early in the year so you aren't trying to apply and keep up, make sure you have a good CV, and nail any online tests. Good luck!

Really excited to start my actuarial industry placement in July - fingers crossed I can find somewhere to live. Don't suppose anyone knows of somewhere looking for a housemate near Redhill...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got all the details of my summer internship - it's with Lloyds Banking Group/ Scottish Widows in Edinburgh :smile:
I got all the details of my summer internship - it's with Lloyds Banking Group/ Scottish Widows in Edinburgh :smile:

Congratulations, hope you learn a lot.

Congratulations, hope you learn a lot.
Original post by ninegrandstudent
Any chance someone could help me with this CT2 MCQ question - I can't see why the answer would be A? Or any of them really!

Thanks! CT2 Q.png

Doesn't seem like my attachment wants to work!

Q Ltd has a stock turnover of 40 days, debtors turnover of 45 days and creditors turnover of 47 days. How long, on average, does each £1 invested in working capital stay tied up?

A 38 days
B 42 days
C 85 days
D 132 days

If you invest £1 of working capital, it gets tied up in stock for 40 days before being sold. Then after being sold, you won't actually get the money from your customer for another 45 days. Therefore 85 days beginning to end.

However, when you buy the stock you haven't yet actually spent your working capital, as you won't pay the supplier the cash for 47 days. Therefore 85 - 47 = 38 days for which the capital will be tied up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shillington
How about everyone else? I hear that ST7 on Friday was horrific.

Haaa! It was hilarious. Thanks, comments like that makes me feel a bit better about the looming results day :tongue:
Original post by JohnnySPal
Haaa! It was hilarious. Thanks, comments like that makes me feel a bit better about the looming results day :tongue:

Well done SPal.
So how're we all feeling now? Do OK?
Got CA2 fairly soon, and did fantastically poorly on the first mock, but can't bring myself to worry too much right now. Woop.
I am preparing to start my year actuarial placement - getting pretty nervous! Just wondering if there's anything I could be doing to both prepare and fill time before then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shillington
Well done SPal.

Ta, Thomas. 'bout time I broke my failing streak. Stupid non-CTs.

Original post by Jelkin
I'm a student actuary student short and stout, here is my handle here is my spout.

My colleagues think you're a good read in our profession's publication. Keep it up, squire :colone:
Original post by JohnnySPal
My colleagues think you're a good read in our profession's publication. Keep it up, squire :colone:

Thanks dude! I'm interested to hear what you think of the next one. It's my most controversial yet (not that that's saying much) :bhangra:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending