The Student Room Group

Some help and advice needed

Hey im new here so please be gentle haha

So I was just wondering if someone could give me some advice, when I first signed up to UCAS I put my self down as an "individual applicant" because to be quite honest I had no idea what I was doing. But im actually at college, into my 3rd year, and I was wondering would it be better to go to college and talk about it with them and change my aplication as through the college?? I don't know if it would be esier to get a refrence this way or not.

Also Im kind of stressing because I've felt I've left everything too late and I guess I'm stressing out because I hear there are people who are already getting acceptances and stuff. I still need to write my personal statement (which I've no idea how to write, I want to apply for two different subjects) but I think i saw a different section to help with that
Reply 1
You should not have applied as a Individual as your in college.
Reply 2
shezzy24
Hey im new here so please be gentle haha

So I was just wondering if someone could give me some advice, when I first signed up to UCAS I put my self down as an "individual applicant" because to be quite honest I had no idea what I was doing. But im actually at college, into my 3rd year, and I was wondering would it be better to go to college and talk about it with them and change my aplication as through the college?? I don't know if it would be esier to get a refrence this way or not.

Yep, you need to speak to them and get the buzzword, then go to the options screen in apply and click on 'link your application to a school/college' and enter the buzzword. The staff at college can then accept your application.

Do not fret about not having applied already - this forum can be a nightmare if you're comparing yourself to other people and reading scare stories about uni's running out of places (they won't). As long as you apply before Jan 15th you're fine. :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you for the help, I will get that all sorted out tomorrow.

And thanks for the reassurance, I just find it scary to think that people are already being accepted before the closing date, I guess I was just worried about them all being full up by the time mine was even sent away :o: lol silly really.

Well I'm hoping to get my application sent away before christmas so I don't have to worry about it during the holidays but I'm guessing that will all depend on how long it would take one of my tutors to fill in the reference section? Sorry these seem like silly questions but I'm completely new to the whole UCAS system.
Reply 4
shezzy24

And thanks for the reassurance, I just find it scary to think that people are already being accepted before the closing date, I guess I was just worried about them all being full up by the time mine was even sent away :o: lol silly really.

Well I'm hoping to get my application sent away before christmas so I don't have to worry about it during the holidays but I'm guessing that will all depend on how long it would take one of my tutors to fill in the reference section? Sorry these seem like silly questions but I'm completely new to the whole UCAS system.

I'm at college and they say to apply as an individual, I've to copy and paste my reference in after they email it to me and God knows when that will be, but at the least, I'd ask for a reference and you could do what I have to do :smile:
Reply 5
shezzy24

No worries about questions - it's quite scary when you do it the first (and hopefully last) time.
The time it takes to do a reference is completely dependent on your college and the number of them they have to write. I'm sure if you ask tomorrow they can give you some idea so you know when you need to be finished by to ensure you can get it in before xmas. :smile:
Reply 6
Well I went to my college today and I got an appointment tomorrow to talk to someone about it. but my head of year told me I'll prob have to put it through the system and send it into the college to get the reference.
So hopefully everything will seem a bit clearer tomorrow and I can get my personal statement done by the end of the week (fingers crossed) Plus I think I'm going to drop one of my subjects, because I dont think I have the right grades to get into it, so writing my statement has just became that little bit easier

Thanks for the help everyone :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending