The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Argh, decisions!

Hey all,

I just got my 'Unconditional' offer for English. Could you help me choose the right accomodation? I am looking for beautiful architecture, a traditional atmosphere and comfortable rooms. Having peace and quiet to work is also very important. I would like some opinions on St Salvator's, University Hall and John Burnet Hall.

Also, St Andrews or Durham? Why? I'm not looking for objective answers, I am just interested in what you what to say.

Thank you all for your time.

Regards,

Andrew
Reply 1
Andrew_
Hey all,

I just got my 'Unconditional' offer for English. Could you help me choose the right accomodation? I am looking for beautiful architecture, a traditional atmosphere and comfortable rooms. Having peace and quiet to work is also very important. I would like some opinions on St. Salvator's, University Hall and John Burnet Hall.

Also, St. Andrews or Durham? Why?

Regards,

Andrew

St. Salvator's certainly satisfies your criteria; the other two halls you mention do not. I would also look in to St Regulus Hall.

StAs vs Durham won't get any neutral opinions either here or on the Durham boards. I'd recommend the former, but yeah.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
I'd say Sallies or Regs for a nice hall. John Burnet... is... Well it has its moments. Uni hall is apparently really nice too if you get the old building, not too far away from everything either.

Oh, and What Mex said - Obviously we'll tell you St Andrews here and on the other boards they'll tell you Durham :smile: I recommend you visit.
Reply 3
Andrew_
Hey all,

I just got my 'Unconditional' offer for English. Could you help me choose the right accomodation? I am looking for beautiful architecture, a traditional atmosphere and comfortable rooms. Having peace and quiet to work is also very important. I would like some opinions on St. Salvator's, University Hall and John Burnet Hall.

Also, St. Andrews or Durham? Why?

Regards,

Andrew

What GCSE/A-Level Grades did you get?
I just walked past St. Salvators accommodation yesterday. It was beautiful! I was actually shocked at some of the buildings I saw, couldn't believe that they were university buildings. Anyway, that was a bit random sorry! :P:
Durham FTW.
Reply 6
What GCSE/A-Level Grades did you get?

I got AAA at A-level and A*A*A*A*A*AAAAA at GCSE. I realise that I am fairly average applicant, were I to be honest with myself. Maybe my personal statement 'closed the deal', I certainly spent a long time including their suggested content.
Reply 7
* Apologies for my use of 'St.', I was typing without thinking.
Reply 8
Andrew_
Hey all,

I just got my 'Unconditional' offer for English. Could you help me choose the right accomodation? I am looking for beautiful architecture, a traditional atmosphere and comfortable rooms. Having peace and quiet to work is also very important. I would like some opinions on St Salvator's, University Hall and John Burnet Hall.

Also, St Andrews or Durham? Why? I'm not looking for objective answers, I am just interested in what you what to say.

Regards,

Andrew

You can't choose your hall I dont think - or you couldnt last year anyway - but write on the form ' I want sallies or mcintosh' and you'll be a happy camper.
Oh and St andrews any day!!! - just look at the league tables, RAE scores, environment, tradition etc etc..
Reply 9
Sallies = nice but not massivly sociable - the most traditional though
JB = don't really know - quite crazy I've heard
Uni = a party hall but very nice

consider Mcintosh and regs as well
Reply 10
Thanks very much. On another note..you study Sambo? PM?
McIntosh is the best hall :p:
Reply 12
University Hall is amazing! I was in the new part, and very very happy with it! Rooms were amazing with all the mod cons (ie sink in room), yet looks out on the beautiful old part of hall (which it is connected to). And uni hall has a great community atmosphere, and has a whole load of traditions as well including High Table (black tie meals where some students are invited to sit with the wardens, latin prayer etc said) for one example of many. The hall is also one of the oldest, and so as well as all the traditions that it has, it is also very beautiful, with old libraries, and reception rooms, and the old dining room which has a grand piano.

If you want to hear any more about, just ask, there is so much more I could say for this amazing hall! :smile:
Reply 13
Andrew_
* Apologies for my use of 'St.', I was typing without thinking.

You on druuugs?
Reply 14
Remember, you can't choose a hall specifically. You can write down your requirements on the form (such as en-suite / standard or single/shared) but they don't give you the option of picking the hall for yourself. That said, you can make it easier for yourself by picking things that a particular hall has. Indeed you can write the name of the hall on your form, but they're under no obligation to pay any notice.

Latest

Trending

Trending