The Student Room Group

You find out your partner has a mental disorder

...or is predisposed to a mental illness and there is a very good chance that mental illness will develop especially following a major life change. Oh and you love your partner and want to be with them forever but have just found out about this.
What would you do? I mean seriously think about it, would you stay with them and get through it? Leave them on account of you wouldn't be able to handle it? Bear in mind there is no cure for mental illness and the person would probably have to take meds all of their life and still this may not guarantee full treatment.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, do you mean like a degenerative mental illness or something like depression?
You should stick by her/him , make sure she's alright. (s)he's the love of your life so you should stay with her , otherwise you're shallow.

What would I do ? I'd finish with her.
What the hell? Of course I'd stay with them. Mental illnesses aren't the end of everything. I have a mental illness and I can function perfectly fine, most of the time.
I have always stuck by someone who has bad depression, wouldn't even dream of abandoning her.
I have a mental illness and am in a relationship which is pretty serious. My guy says he'll always stand by me and that he loves me regardless of me having to take meds for years and acting like god knows what quite a lot.

If he was to develop one of course I'd stay with him. What kind of **** wouldn't?
Depends what type of mental disorder and how servere it is.
If it was my boyfriend I'd stay with him :love:
What kind of mental illness do you mean? Do you mean something like schizophrenia, or a degenerative mental illness, or depression, or social anxiety...? I think you'd have to be more specific. I think in every case, I'd stick with my partner until it became too tough - of course, it may not do. I'd always give it a try, though. :h:
Reply 9
It would depend entirely on the person I was with. I wouldn't stay with someone forever out of a sense of obligation, put it that way. But I have mental issues myself, and if I loved them...no question. In sickness and in health.
well if im only finding our now after being together over 8 years i would end it for the fact he kept it from me so long

if it was a new relationship i would end it because i cant be doing with people with a mental disorder
Definitely would stay with them unless their illness was one that made them become violent towards me or otherwise make life unbearably miserable.
I would also worry a little bit about whether children would end up with the same disorder if it was genetic, or that they would be negatively affected by the person's temperament.. but mental disorders are so diverse and severity exists on such a wide spectrum that I'm sure I would put up with the majority!
I had been in a relationship for a year when I was put in this position. I tried desperately for 2-years to make it work but couldn't: I didn't know how to handle the suicide attempts, he would nit-pick over everything to the point where every conversation would end in an argument even if it was totally pointless because he couldn't let anything go and always had to win even when he was being ridiculous, however diplomatic I tried to be, I was constantly made to feel terrible about myself even though I done nothing wrong, I couldn't talk about my own problems, he would insult me, my family, my ideals without even realising how hurtful what he was saying was, he was frightening when he got angry - it was truly awful by the end and I was so sad to end it because I love him so much but I just couldn't do it any more because it was destroying me.

I still love the person I fell in love with so much that its months after we broke up and I still cry myself to sleep each night, but he isn't really that person any more and I don't know if he will be again and I can't stay with him forever hoping that he will be. It had got to the point where I had to get out or would probably end up marrying him.

It's very easy to say you'll stay, but trust me, I stayed for a long time and it was not easy, and breaking up is not easy either.

The sad thig is that I think if someone had offered me help when they offered him out, or if we hadn't been so far away then it might have worked out ok.
Reply 13
Depends on what disorder it is. I guess I would try and make things work.
My partner knows I have a mental problem, but my three types of tablets and three monthly injections stabalise me :h:
It's a difficult issue. I'm not sure if I could personally handle it :sad:
If I was with someone who suffers with mental illness, I'd have to think about it. But I'd only have to think about it because I suffer with mental illness myself. It could make the situation worse, I suppose.
I'd like to think I'd stay with them and try to help them though.
I dunno really. I'd try and make it work but if it was making me unhappy I wouldn't stay with them.
When I told my ex that I had depression and I was going to see a councellor for it after having suicidal thoughts, he said "Don't be silly, you're not really depressed!"... What a nice guy he was!
I'd be beside them. I nursed my friend when her disorder was at its worse. So no different for a partner. Plus it's not much different from a physical disease that can't be cured. I'd be there for them, nurse them if needed.
Reply 19
Depends on the illness, the severity, the odds, the guy, the relationship, the context... ultimately, my heart will tell me at the time and I'd go with it.

Latest

Trending

Trending