Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

What is the effect of alliteration?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I can spot alliteration easily :p: , but I'm unsure of the effect it creates, apart from linking the words and making it more memorable.

Thanks!
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Allows the reader to focus on those particular words.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Every sound has onomatopoeic connotations associated with it: 'k' is a harsh, sharp sound compared to 's', which is soft & gentle (though also potentially hissing in context) by comparison. Alliteration can be used to emphasise certain phonetics in a sentence, creating the appropriate atmosphere or tone. Perhaps this is more assonance than alliteration, though... :dontknow:

There are other uses for alliteration, like you mentioned: the repetition of a particular starting letter emphasises that letter & consequently those words. People generally like patterns and symmetry, and a reader will often subconsciously recall recent previous words starting with that same letter, highlighting them as being on the same topic; in effect, it's like they're re-reading the words each time they come across the repeated starting letter, hence the emphasis of whatever you're saying in that sentence. :yep: Or something like that, anyway.

It depends on the words used, but generally they create a sense of snappiness and forceful nature. You can link the alliteration to the theme of the text.
    Fixed. :p:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    hey ould give anyone tell me how to work out the effect of terminology say for example the use of colloquial and how to work out the effect of it. Because i know my terminiology but the only thing is when it comes to anotating i just don't know how to describe the effect of the terminology used.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2009
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.