The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

rajandkwameali
A "good human" is subjective.

Admit it, we are cruel, and rightfully so, especially to the uglies, chavs and other ne'er do wells in life.

If being a "good human" is subjective, then so is "rightfulness", and the nature of a "hard life".
It is not. morality may be subjective, but the idea some are beneath others is not.
Reply 22
rajandkwameali
It is not. morality may be subjective, but the idea some are beneath others is not.

Yes it is. The selection of criteria used to determine who is "below" who is completely arbitrary.
How so? good-looking is above ugly. rich above poor. normal person above chav.
Reply 24
rajandkwameali
How so? good-looking is above ugly. rich above poor. normal person above chav.

Who chooses those criteria? What if I think that it should be based on who can jump the highest and who has the best eyesight?
rajandkwameali
You get plenty of people these days saying "oh racism is evil!!!" or "sexism is wrong!!!" or "homophobes GTFO!!"

but be honest now, prejudice is the norm and is right, no?

As an example, you see a chav in the street, you immediately think "low class scum lol". or see an ugly person and have immediate scorn for them for being so aesthetically unappealing. admit, most people do. i reckon people who say no are liars, or aren't honest people in general.

i guess humans are complex and pretentious, but i think normal service will be resumed soon. in past ages, people rightfully saw that prejudice is the norm and the right path. i bet in 100 years time, we'd think the non-discriminatory attitude of the early 21st century was nonsense and silliness.

Some forms of prejudice are acceptable, for example classism with respect to the low class chavs. Other forms, such as racial, sexual or otherwise, are not.
Reply 26
Comp_Genius
Some forms of prejudice are acceptable, for example classism with respect to the low class chavs. Other forms, such as racial, sexual or otherwise, are not.

How the hell do you justify that?
Reply 27
rajandkwameali
it's perfectly right.

No.no it's not right.

Just because it's the norm doesn't mean it's right.

The Nazi's killed **** loads of jews, it was normal everyone was doing it, was it right? hell no.

There are so many other examples.

Albinos get killed in africa to be used in witch doctor remedies etc, it is normal over there, most people don't care but it aint right.

Right is not what the majority does it's what the moral do.
Reply 28
Libtolu
No.no it's not right.

The Nazi's killed **** loads of jews, it was normal everyone was doing it, was it right? hell no.

Albinos get killed in africa to be used in witch doctor remedies etc, it is normal over there, most people don't care but it aint right.

I think you've missed the point that morality is subjective.
Libtolu
No.no it's not right.

meh. right and wrong no real meaning. anything goes in life.
Comp_Genius

all are equally acceptable. against any group of persons.
Planto
How the hell do you justify that?

Chavs cause disruption and attempts to overthrow our way of life as civilised beings, whereas other categories (e.g. sex, race, etc.) do not disrupt society in general. The latter may have different values, but they let us get on with our lives.
Reply 32
Comp_Genius
Chavs cause disruption and attempts to overthrow our way of life as civilised beings, whereas other categories (e.g. sex, race, etc.) do not disrupt society in general. The latter may have different values, but they let us get on with our lives.

That's not the point. The distinction is in the implication that lower class people are chavs, which is just like, for example, calling black people thugs. Everyone knows that thugs are "disruptive", but that's hardly the point.
Planto
That's not the point. The distinction is in the implication that lower class people are chavs, which is just like, for example, calling black people thugs. Everyone knows that thugs are "disruptive", but that's hardly the point.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/low-class

I know there are two definitions as above - I wasn't using low in the sense of socio-economic status but to describe vulgar behaviour. I'm sure there are middle class chavs, I don't like them any more than chavs with a low socio-economic class, for that matter. Though 'rich' chavs are rarer and unlikely to cause problems.
Reply 34
Comp_Genius
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/low-class

I know there are two definitions as above - I wasn't using low in the sense of socio-economic status but to describe vulgar behaviour. I'm sure there are middle class chavs, I don't like them any more than chavs with a low socio-economic class, for that matter. Though 'rich' chavs are rarer and unlikely to cause problems.

Some forms of prejudice are acceptable, for example classism with respect to the low class chavs.

In that case, there is no "prejudice" to speak of. Unless you're "prejudging" the vulgar and crude to be vulgar and crude. Plus, if you weren't using "class" in the socio-economic sense, then the word "classism" doesn't apply at all. Somehow I doubt this is what you were really getting at.
They say any joke about race/sex/etc is funny until its about your own...and its probably natural to believe so. Everyone feels more affinity and trust instinctively for their own kind than any other, and as such may treat some people differently. Whether you can overcome this determines whether you become deemed a racist/sexist. Just nowadays, the level that you have to overcome this by is far higher because of a much more multicultural society
Reply 36
Planto
I think you've missed the point that morality is subjective.

I know morality is subjective but that is wrong to my morales.
Planto
Who chooses those criteria? What if I think that it should be based on who can jump the highest and who has the best eyesight?

they are the people near the bottom of consideration.

who doesn't think like hitting a chav when you see one? Or shouting "oi you ugly ****!!" at an ugly person?

We all know that morality is relative, so really anything goes.
Reply 38
rajandkwameali
they are the people near the bottom of consideration.

who doesn't think like hitting a chav when you see one? Or shouting "oi you ugly ****!!" at an ugly person?

We all know that morality is relative, so really anything goes.

Not only do you not understand my argument, but you don't understand your own fully enough to make any coherent sense. You're an idiot.
i'm simply stating fact.

the only thing stopping people from hitting each other in the street is the grace of God.

this is why you get so much knife crime now. it's human nature.

Latest

Trending

Trending