The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Accommodation

Southampton is my insurance choice and so I may end up there in October but I haven't yet applied for accommodation and I'm unsure as to what to choose.

1. Wessex Lane halls or Glen Eyre Halls? I'm doing geography on the main campus and have only ever seen halls at Glen Eyre and thought they were a bit rough (sorry...but the one I went in smelt of dog - eww - and was so ugly from the outside :redface: ) but I have no idea what Wessex Lane halls are like in comparison.

2. Is is really worth it to go for enhanced over standard facilities? What are the benefits?
Reply 1
maybe the one that smelt of dog was a basic one? :eek:

maybe thats the difference?
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
-Sian-

2. Is is really worth it to go for enhanced over standard facilities? What are the benefits?

I Just did Enhanced it for the sink in my room. It should be a godsend when you need to get ready quickly in the morning.
Reply 3
It really depends on basic, standard, enhanced or ensuite....
Monte 1, for example (part of the Wessex Lane complex) also stank quite a bit with flaking walls and ants running around in the kitchen.
Monte 3 (ensuite) is state of the art, and as clean as it can get, same for Hartley Grove (often referred to as Hartley Hilton as its so nice, part of the Glen Eyre complex).
I really suggest you go for enhanced (at least), because having a sink will probably save your life, and because basic is very shabby, while the difference in price is remarkably small.
Reply 4
strange, ive never seen any really dirty/smelly/generally nasty halls, tho i did see a few which were really small and had really small/narrow corridors.
Reply 5
It was one of my friend's sisters that showed me round and we went to see her room in Glen Eyre self-catered. But they won't be taking students in 05-06? That's good :biggrin:

So where's best for self-catered - Glen Eyre or Wessex Lane? Do you get sink in standard rooms?
Reply 6
Apparently, standard rooms do have sinks, according to the website, and the only differences between standard and enhanced are that enhanced bedrooms are of higher quality and you share kitchen and bathroom facilities with fewer people. Think I'll just choose standard??
Reply 7
Oh how I would love to be able to afford ensuite! I'll go for self-catered, standard, Glen Eyre as first choice.

On the application form it says 'Would you like to be placed in a designated quiet area?' Exactly how quiet are these areas?!
Does anyone know how popular en suite is? I put it as my first choice but ive got no idea if im likely to get it or not... ?
kingmonkeywoman
Does anyone know how popular en suite is? I put it as my first choice but ive got no idea if im likely to get it or not... ?

Popular, my friend requested en suite a few years ago and did get it though. They have also built more en suite halls (Monte 4); so hopefully that will level the playing ground.
TBH its pretty much pot luck. I am not really too bothered as long as i get to live with nice people, thats the main thing.
Reply 10
Yeah thats true. I went for enhanced glen eyre for first choice, and standard for second. I applied back in april so hopefully it gives me a better chance of getting in. I jsut couldnt choose quiet for fear Id be too loud, If you get my drfit. Then be hated along the falts Heh. That and Im too loud as it is.. :smile:
I put Glen Eyre standard in the end, with enhanced as my second choice. I put Wessex Lane standard as third choice. I only applied the other day, and that, combined with the fact that Soton is only my insurance, probably means I'll get a well rubbish room if I go there. :p: I put 'no preference' re: quiet area in the end.
lo
Am a newbee here and I've been offered a place for a postgraduate course at soton, starting in october. :biggrin:
Has anyone already received any information from the accomodation office?
I mean, I have sent the form for accomodation and still no answer or proposal for accomodation.. :confused:
Am I alone in this situation?
Thanks
Reply 13
you dont get told which accommodation youre offered until september, or at the earliest after your results. (think of all the clearing ppl they may have to fit in, and those who put it down as their 2nd choice, it wouldnt make sense to allocate everything now)
Reply 14
If you are waiting on a conditional offer you'll hear a couple of weeks after results. If you aren't waiting on results, you'll probably hear end of July as long as you sent your form back on time and everything :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending