The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh and the other thing putting me off is the possibility I end up with an obviously fake looking nose.

That's all.
Reply 2
Well, personally - though I am not a girl - I would feel strange to be around people after having any cosmetic surgery - because it would be obvious I had done so - and I just wouldn't feel good that I had to do it.

Besides, with all the cost/risks ontop - it is just a no no.

I would only consider surgery if there was an abnormality/deformation that exists due to some reason - not because I feel my nose isn't perfect etc.
Reply 3
Do it, if your nose really makes you feel bad. I would if I were in your situation, without a doubt. Why do you think it is bad from a moral point of view? Plastic surgery should be avoided as much as possible, but if your nose is that bad, you are better off with rhinoplasty. You would be improving your confidence about your appearance, and thus contributing to your happiness in general. I can't think of any downsides. You deserve to feel good about the way you look.

Good luck whatever you decide!

About costs - Rhinoplasty is nowhere near as expensive abroad, and the surgery itself doesn't last long. You get to go home on the very same day! So those factors you shouldn't worry about.
Reply 4
No. Unless you literally can't leave the house because of the shame of your face then I don't think the hassle of recovery would be worth it. Having grown myself from being very insecure a few years ago to being very confident now, with no change in my appearance .... I would never consider something so hasty and drastic.

You can't just ignore the risks of surgery when making a decision like this :confused:
Reply 5
ooze
No. Unless you literally can't leave the house because of the shame of your face then I don't think the hassle of recovery would be worth it. Having grown myself from being very insecure a few years ago to being very confident now, with no change in my appearance .... I would never consider something so hasty and drastic.

You can't just ignore the risks of surgery when making a decision like this :confused:

Absolutely, and its not something I would ignore, if it came to the actual point of surgery.

But that's nothing TSR people (or even I) can control, so for this thread I just want opinions on the moral implications and appearance side of things.
Reply 6
it's a big step and people's opinion will change (mostly not in a nice way) about you if you do it...
Reply 7
Ines24
Do it, if your nose really makes you feel bad. I would if I were in your situation, without a doubt. Why do you think it is bad from a moral point of view? Plastic surgery should be avoided as much as possible, but if your nose is that bad, you are better off with rhinoplasty. You would be improving your confidence about your appearance, and thus contributing to your happiness in general. I can't think of any downsides. You deserve to feel good about the way you look.

Good luck whatever you decide!

About costs - Rhinoplasty is nowhere near as expensive abroad, and the surgery itself doesn't last long. You get to go home on the very same day! So those factors you shouldn't worry about.

I guess my moral issues are that I feel like my new nose isn't really mine, I've cheated somehow, to gain beauty, when others have it naturally.
I'd feel like it would indicate that I'm a shallow, vain person, or that others would perceive me that way.
I could have spent the money in a less selfish way.
God created us and I should be thankful for what he's given me, and that I'm not missing a leg or something.
Errr, if I ever have kids and give them my ugly nose, they'll wonder where the hell it came from, and my partner might resent me and feel bad for his kids. That's scraping the barrel a bit, I realise.
No, I wouldn't, personally. I think there's something quite unattractive about people getting plastic surgery (whether it makes them 'prettier' or not).
Reply 9
Anonymous
I guess my moral issues are that I feel like my new nose isn't really mine, I've cheated somehow, to gain beauty, when others have it naturally.
I'd feel like it would indicate that I'm a shallow, vain person, or that others would perceive me that way.
I could have spent the money in a less selfish way.
God created us and I should be thankful for what he's given me, and that I'm not missing a leg or something.
Errr, if I ever have kids and give them my ugly nose, they'll wonder where the hell it came from, and my partner might resent me and feel bad for his kids. That's scraping the barrel a bit, I realise.

Aww don't worry so much. To me, someone opting for rhinoplasty doesn't do it out of vanity as such, they do it because they want to be at peace with their appearance (or so it should be!). You'd be doing it for your well-being, your confidence. You only have one life and you shouldn't spend it feeling miserable about your nose. So I'd say, get it done, and move on with your life.

Don't worry about what people might think. Some might not even notice. If they do react badly, their opinion is not worth caring about. You sound very grounded and grateful. Plastic surgery, in my opinion, doesn't mean that you are not grateful. It means that it can improve about the way you feel about yourself. You deserve that.

And about your children.. you can't know what they will look like. Their noses might be nothing like yours. For example, my mother has quite a large nose, so does my father, but my nose is rather small.
Reply 10
BrightGirl
No, I wouldn't, personally. I think there's something quite unattractive about people getting plastic surgery (whether it makes them 'prettier' or not).

What if you didnt know they'd had it done?
I would. I've never liked my nose, and having that done would stop me from worrying about it all the time in photos, people seeing me from the side etc, and I'd be able to wear normal glasses (can't wear the plastic formed ones, only those that have the adjustable nose pads).

I don't really see cosmetic surgery as bad unless the individual was actually okay to begin with. But the thing is that it's all relative. What may be 'fine' to one person may be horrible to another.
Reply 12
What's the purpose of a plastic surgery - to make you feel good in your own body charging you a huge amount of money :biggrin:
Besides I don't see the moral issue, it's like
"Oh I have broken my leg!... and I needs an operation!
But... I won't go to see my GP,because my moral says "NO!"
I'd definitely get it done.
Reply 15
Do plastic surgery - it will make us happy!
Reply 16
brokenalien
I would. I've never liked my nose, and having that done would stop me from worrying about it all the time in photos, people seeing me from the side etc, and I'd be able to wear normal glasses (can't wear the plastic formed ones, only those that have the adjustable nose pads).

I don't really see cosmetic surgery as bad unless the individual was actually okay to begin with. But the thing is that it's all relative. What may be 'fine' to one person may be horrible to another.

OMG exactly, it's the first and only thing I look at in photos of me (seems to enlarge in photos too for some reason). And its like an automatic reflex thing for me to avoid people seeing me from the side.

But your point about it being relative is very true.
Some say they've never noticed anything wrong with my nose.
Some say it suits my face (whatever:rolleyes: )
Some have actually suggested I get it done, (it wasn't even in a bitchy way, it was my mothers friend)
Some have made remarks (usually kids who are very blunt and truthful) of it resembling a 'witch' nose :rofl:

So I dunno.
i always have hated my nose too. i hate people looking at me from the side, i hate photographs of myself, and now i start to wonder if it was my nose that slowly brought along my eating disorder :frown:
i think if you want rhinoplasty, you should get it. i wish i could get it done but i don't have the money sadly :tongue:
Reply 18
If I had a particularly horrible nose... Say it was the shape of a foot and was getting in the way of my life, then yes.

Though I hate my actual nose, I don't think I'd do it. It would be weird around people you'd known for ages and, despite thinking around it, I am scared of the procedure!
Reply 19
this is a stupid question, because there ARE risks of it going wrong, you getting an infection, something terrible happening, so why are you asking us to ignore that?

Latest