The Student Room Group

Economics vs Computer Science

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The_question
How would Uni's know my UMS?

they have the right to ask for them i think. most don't bother, but these are exceptional circumstances. if there is one more space and your competition has an A*, but your application generally looks better, they'll probably ask the boards for it or something. but don't quote me on that.
unikq
they have the right to ask for them i think. most don't bother, but these are exceptional circumstances. if there is one more space and your competition has an A*, but your application generally looks better, they'll probably ask the boards for it or something. but don't quote me on that.

But I was under the impression that Computer Science was not that competitive :/
Reply 22
JamesyB

Mutley92 is a penis.

:smile:
unikq
AAAbc

but you have to bear in mind that my competition didn't have any stars either. if you have good UMS, it'll be fine, but have in mind that other people are gonna start coming to london unis with strings of A*'s now

In reply to some of your comments on here:

- Having an A from a pre A* syllabus will not be a disadvantage. Admissions people are intelligent enough to know that if A* weren't awarded when you sat your A-levels you probably won't have any...

- I'd be extremely surprised if "most" CS grads go into finance (depending to some extent on what you define as finance). Most CS grads go into IT, quite a few go into finance. Even those in finance (banks) tend to do IT roles.

- Only Cambridge ask for your UMS.
Reply 24
The_question
Don't know were to else to put this.

Ok. So I have narrowed down my choices to Economics and Computer Science. My dilleme is that with Economics I can only get into places like Surrey, Queen Mary Royal Holloway ( I want to stay in London or near)

With Computer Science I may be able to get into ( UCL, Warwick, Kings and maybe Imperial) So My question is: I am interested in both, but which would give be better career prospects especially to get into banks.

Its either middle class for Economics or Top for Computer Science. If I went for Computer Science could I do a Masters in Finance.

Thanks in advance.

p.s A-level: Maths Biology Economics, Chemistry AS ( AAAa)
GCSE:A*A*A*AAAAAB

In terms of economics you would be safe for all unis outside the TAELT top 11.
including Birmingham and Southampton.
(are they almost as close as Warwick to London?)
Which masters in finance
As the op was in 2009, i think there is little point looking into it now
Reply 27
Edit: Posted then saw the comment above me :frown:
Original post by Kolasinac138
Which masters in finance

You resurrected a 4 year old thread, you know.
I have this same question. What are things looking like now?...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending