The Student Room Group

What to study at uni?!

Hi, Im currently doing my AS levels. I work hard and would like to go university, but I dont really know what I ultimately want to do or what course I'd like to do. I was thinking maybe something along the lines of archaeology and anthropology, or maybe paleontology. Does anyone else here do these courses?! im doing chemistry, maths, biology and history AS levels by the way. i like science but dont really want to go into medicine, what courses would you recommend?!
Go talk to your careers advisor, might help :smile:
There are programmes and you fill out everything you like and at the end it chucks out career choice :P that could help too... i doubt it though.
There's soooooo many things you can do, ask your parents, friends etc..
Order some prospectuses and have a lookt through them.
Remember you don't actually have to go to uni straight after college, if you're not 100% sure I'd take a gap year and decide then :smile:
I've taken all the wrong A levels for what I want to do, but it's not the end of the world!
Reply 2
1. Do something you'd enjoy
2. Failing that, do something you're good at (hopefully one & the same).

I went for the "this course should be good for my career prospects" route, & tbh always regretted it.
Reply 3
Its just all my friends seem to know exactly what they want to do with their lives, but i havent got a clue, and im so scared that i'll make a bad decision and end up on some course i hate, and end up with a job i hate.
Reply 4
helenem
Its just all my friends seem to know exactly what they want to do with their lives, but i havent got a clue, and im so scared that i'll make a bad decision and end up on some course i hate, and end up with a job i hate.

1. Any job would be a fine thing atm!
2. I'd say the people who know what they want to do with their lives are very much in the minority - and that applies to just about any age..
I had no clue what I wanted to do until the beginning of year 13... I wouldn't worry about it. don't pressure yourself. you'll gradually realise what you want to do.
Reply 6
helenem

yeh, no-one knows what they want to do really
go to as many open days as possible and look at as many different courses as you want (in summer) and go for something you'll enjoy.
if you start uni and find this course isn't for you then you have the option of changing - nothing is set in stone, loads of people have a career change at different stages in there life too, on top of that, many people finish their degree and end up doing a job that has nothing to do with that degree

concentrate on your jan exams first though

Latest

Trending

Trending