The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
yoyo462001
I would look at the courses and what modules youll be taking. From looking at other BSC courses my Ba course has more maths modules in it and at the end of it i could have done far more maths than alot of Bsc student. So try not to look at it from a Ba vs Bsc standpoint. Look at unis you like then at the course.

It's not just about how many modules, but also what said modules contain. Taking Exeter for example, sure half of your modules can be maths/statistics in the first year, but this is only possible if you don't have A-Level Maths, otherwise it's three eighths, and also your Introduction to Statistics is quite basic, more than likely because there will be plenty of people without A-Level Maths or any statistics background, and what's with all the formulae you get with the exam?! :eek:

But yeah... It's not just about how many modules you're doing. :p:
.ACS.
It's not just about how many modules, but also what said modules contain. Taking Exeter for example, sure half of your modules can be maths/statistics in the first year, but this is only possible if you don't have A-Level Maths, otherwise it's three eighths, and also your Introduction to Statistics is quite basic, more than likely because there will be plenty of people without A-Level Maths or any statistics background, and what's with all the formulae you get with the exam?! :eek:

But yeah... It's not just about how many modules you're doing. :p:

Yeah saying the amount of modules probably isnt the best way to look at it, ive also looked at the module breakdown and topics for some other unis doing Bsc and it doesnt seem like theres a big mathematical difference. And with the stats one, the content of the module isnt basic (well i dont think so) but they've dummed down the exam for some reason.

What wrong with the formula :s: not seen Southampton's one but would you mind showing me an example of your stats and micro/macro exams..
Reply 22
yoyo462001
Yeah saying the amount of modules probably isnt the best way to look at it, ive also looked at the module breakdown and topics for some other unis doing Bsc and it doesnt seem like theres a big mathematical difference. And with the stats one, the content of the module isnt basic (well i dont think so) but they've dummed down the exam for some reason.

What wrong with the formula :s: not seen Southampton's one but would you mind showing me an example of your stats and micro/macro exams..

You edited your post!! :bawling: I want to see the pre-edit version! :p:

To be honest, for most decent universities there isn't a major difference. It's only really Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick which have a much stronger pure maths element to their maths modules.
When I researched universities, the biggest difference I found was in the level of econometrics and also the difference between just techniques and actual mathematical theory.

Formulae are bad. :p:
Nah, in all seriousness, I'm just surprised at how much formulae you guys are given, and how basic some of the formulae are, but again, it's going to be because many on your course won't have A-Level Maths and so will never have encountered statistics before (as a lot of that stuff isn't even provided in A-Level!).

Here's an example of our Semester 2 statistics module exam from 06/07:
http://www.economics.soton.ac.uk/courses/ECON1011/econ101107e.pdf

Nothing much else is available online freely, but if you want I could always send you via email an example of our first semester stats and micro/macro.
.ACS.
You edited your post!! :bawling: I want to see the pre-edit version! :p:

To be honest, for most decent universities there isn't a major difference. It's only really Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick which have a much stronger pure maths element to their maths modules.
When I researched universities, the biggest difference I found was in the level of econometrics and also the difference between just techniques and actual mathematical theory.

Formulae are bad. :p:
Nah, in all seriousness, I'm just surprised at how much formulae you guys are given, and how basic some of the formulae are, but again, it's going to be because many on your course won't have A-Level Maths and so will never have encountered statistics before (as a lot of that stuff isn't even provided in A-Level!).

Here's an example of our Semester 2 statistics module exam from 06/07:
http://www.economics.soton.ac.uk/courses/ECON1011/econ101107e.pdf

Nothing much else is available online freely, but if you want I could always send you via email an example of our first semester stats and micro/macro.

Dont worry the unedited version was just without the last bit (from the smiley). To be honest i wouldnt expect Exeter to have the same level of Maths as any of the other top unis like southampton but when you go further down the maths seems diminish a far bit. e.g. i know a guy at Brunel doing economics and the extent of maths thats hes done is just differentiation hes also doing a Bsc, ive also seen unis ranked around 15-20 with econometric modules in second years that dont go past simple regression analysis, also a Bsc.

Yeah i did S1 and there was quite alot of formula (edexcel) in handbook so im not sure if its more or less. during the course weve learnt so many different hypothesis tests statistics (edging on 12-15 test stats) that it wouldnt probably be reasonable to learn them all, and thats just for h testing, so there are alot of formulas we need to know so i guess they thought it wasnt worth us learning each one.

Our proper stats one i guess is next term (introduction to econometrics) and ive heard its alot more intense than this course. But i think the underlying problem with my course is that no matter what modules i take people do just assume its got no maths, hopefully the doing Eco & Metrics will somewhat dispel this though.
Reply 24
I understand, especially further down the rankings you go, that the maths involved isn't too much different in a BA or BSc. However, that's not my problem, it's just getting on to a BSc course!

Also, how much of the maths involved is statistics? I'm assuming most of it. Is there any cases where the maths involved would be similar to that of core maths at A level?
fkit
I understand, especially further down the rankings you go, that the maths involved isn't too much different in a BA or BSc. However, that's not my problem, it's just getting on to a BSc course!

Also, how much of the maths involved is statistics? I'm assuming most of it. Is there any cases where the maths involved would be similar to that of core maths at A level?

Depends what modules you take, id say its not like core maths modules at all because its all applied obviously, then again id say the stats is very different from what you would do in A level, much more interesting... Why dont you look at the uni courses they usually offer a module description and show what topics they include.
If you're worried about getting onto a BSc course without Maths then I may be able to help:

Liverpool - BBB no maths.
Lboro - AAB no maths, just a C at GCSE.
Hull - 260 points, no maths.

All BSc.

I applied to all of those and got those offers without even AS maths, so you'll be fine.

Plus, saying a BA is less respected than a BSc would be a little silly. It depends what you want to do with it.

Latest

Trending

Trending