The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 1
Why don't you look it up?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
I have just read on their website that the course is new, so it must have no reputation yet. I would better look at how competitive are the other courses taught by their School of Economics & Finance, this should give some indication of what to expect.

In choosing a finance degree, I wouldn't look at how highly (or not) it is rated by the press. But I think the reputation of the university does matter and also the course content as well. You'd want to learn what is transferrable -- good maths, computing skills, doing independent research, etc. Finance is different from physics -- many universities teach total rubbish, and even good ones are often behind the industry. So, in my opinion, it is transferrable skills that matters. Therefore if you want to work in the field, any "heavy" quantitative degree from a respected university would do.

Of course, this is just a subjective opinion written by someone aspiring to be an arbitrageur after graduating.
Reply 3
PeterR
Why don't you look it up?

I thought would be obvious that I have looked it up, this is just another method I'm using to get information on it.

Yeah I guess so, all my other choices are Maths or Economics. I just really want to go to St Andrews. I understand that I'm going to be a low candiate applying at St Andrews so my main issue is whether it will be a wasted choice. Does anyone know if contacting admissions tutors this late would affect my chances?
Reply 4
What kind of course is Applied Quant Finance at St. Andrews?
Reply 5
yodude888
What kind of course is Applied Quant Finance at St. Andrews?

It starts off as Econ and then branches off by making some optional finance courses mandatory (I think EC2008 in second year and then some honours level ones).
Reply 6
predius
It starts off as Econ and then branches off by making some optional finance courses mandatory (I think EC2008 in second year and then some honours level ones).

Is it something I could transfer into from maths-econ joint honours?
Reply 7
You can transfer into anything other than Medicine once your actually here. (well, there, I'm not in town right now)

So yes, I'd presume so.

However, I just checked the website. Apparently it's an MSc, and you go in to second year. If you want to take it, your best bet would probably be to email admissions and see what you can do.

There's also the MA/BSc in Financial Economics, of course.

Latest

Trending

Trending