The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Once the references are done and sent, they can't change it.
Reply 2
Bearing in mind you can't even send off your form until September 1st I'd be surprised if your school is organised enough to have finished writing your references already!! References can be changed right up to the day you send off your form (assuming they're written online) They usually contain your predicted grades so it'd be alittle foolish to do them BEFORE your AS results
Reply 3
My teacher wrote mine at the end of the holiday after he had my AS results
I doubt teachers will start writing them until the start of September for medicine/Oxbridge applicants and probably later than that for everyone else.
Reply 5
kellywood_5
I doubt teachers will start writing them until the start of September for medicine/Oxbridge applicants and probably later than that for everyone else.

I'm applying for medicine, my tutor's writing references over the Summer hols, mine first. :smile:
Reply 6
They dont get sent til sept at earliest (as someone said above) and i think at college they said once that the predicted grades are updated closer to a2 exam time.
Reply 7
For us, the references are written when the student finishes the application form. If they don't finish it, they won't start writing the reference.
Saffie
I'm applying for medicine, my tutor's writing references over the Summer hols, mine first. :smile:

Wow, your school must be very organised!
refernces take long enough to write in the first place, so i wouldn't have thought so
Reply 10
They might've started gathering ideas now, but the reference won't be finished until it's ready to be sent. AS Grades will probably be included, along with explanations of any particularly bad/good marks. It does depend on how your school works though; those with more medics/oxbridge applicants will probably start earlier due to the earlier deadline.
Reply 11
kellywood_5
Wow, your school must be very organised!

Nah it really isn't. No-one told us about all the open days we just missed. :rolleyes:
omg you're 3 days older than me, I knew we were similar :cool:
Reply 12
Most schools do a UCAS set of references now - which normally include a predicted A2 grade. HOWEVER, when the student actually starts the process properly in September (for Oxbridge, medics etc) or later, then their initial reference is circulated and the grades and subject comments are amended in the light of both AS results and any work done at the start of Year 13 (or indeed at this time in year 12 in preparation for A2). the final reference is usually re-circulated to all the staff who teach that student to check that it is accurate and fair. Most schools tend to operate along these lines... a few tend to do the main ref now and just amend grades in Sept.
Saffie
Nah it really isn't. No-one told us about all the open days we just missed. :rolleyes:
omg you're 3 days older than me, I knew we were similar :cool:

Lol sounds like my school. Wow, I'm older than you- authority! Respect your elders! :p:
Reply 14
kellywood_5
Lol sounds like my school. Wow, I'm older than you- authority! Respect your elders! :p:

omg i choked on my drink and spat it out when i read that!! Nope i was due to be born on the 23th :biggrin:

references probably won't change after you get your results unless you did appalingly, then they might make up excuses for you. Though predicted grades they include may be changed.
Reply 15
No one in our school have their predicted grade changed. Most students have their A2 grade the same or below the AS grade or below. Only a small amount of students were predicted higher than than the AS grade (e.g. from B to A at A2).
Saffie
Nope i was due to be born on the 23th :biggrin:

Yeah, but you weren't :p: lol.
Reply 17
My references were all written prior to results coming out but did get minor alterations once results were known (i.e. Maths said I was poor in exams but soon changed that :wink:)
Reply 18
I don't believe your school was nasty about you in your reference! For the less able pupils the refrences were less enthusiastic, but nothing at all negative like that would be said. xx

Latest

Trending

Trending