The Student Room Group

M3: Equilibrium

A uniform thin hemispherical bowl rests in equilibrium with its axis of symmetry horizontal and its curved surface on a rough inclined plane. Show that the angle between the plane and the horizontal is 30o.

===============================

Okay so I modelled the bowl and a heimspherical shell, which makes the COM r2\frac{r}{2} from the centre, like so:

So I did my diagram, placing the centre of mass above the point of contact:

And that gives me tanθ=12tan \theta = \frac{1}{2} which is 27o.

I've obviously made a mistake and I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me where :smile: Thanks.
Not got an easy drawing package, so a description will have to do.

So your centre of mass is above the point of contact, OK.

BUT, the perpendicular from the point of contact will go through the centre of the sphere produced, not the centre of mass.

Now draw your horizontal line from the centre of the sphere produced to the centre of gravity, and then the vertical from the centre of gravity down to the point of contact.

The hypoterneuse of the triangle produced will be r, and the distance centre of mass to centre of sphere produced r/2 as you have now, and you'll end up with 30 degrees as your angle.
Reply 2
ghostwalker
OK.

BUT, the perpendicular from the point of cNoontact will go through the centre of the sphere produced, not the centre of mass.

sorry .would you mind expaining why this is the case? Although your approach gets the right answer ..I was told ( or read) that the point of contact goes through the line of action of the weight (COM)..
rbnphlp
I was told ( or read) that the point of contact goes through the line of action of the weight (COM)..

It does here; I haven't said anything to contradict that.

The line of action through the centre of gravity IS NOT the perpendicular to the plane through the point of contact.
Reply 4
ghostwalker
It does here; I haven't said anything to contradict that.

The line of action through the centre of gravity IS NOT the perpendicular to the plane through the point of contact.

Would be kind enough to draw a sketch for us:o: ..

Spoiler

rbnphlp

As GHOSH-5 has shown, somewhat more picturesque then what I was about to post. I did say I didn't have a decent drawing package.
Darn it! There goes my excuse. OK, I'll confess, I don't have the patience to draw it.
I see now. Thanks very much :smile:
Reply 8
thanks guys ..

Latest