The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Beekeeper
I believe very strongly that population growth needs to be controlled, but I am not going to elaborate any further because I do not want to be seen to be agreeing with the moron who started this thread.

What a incredibly stupid way to start a discussion on such an important issue...

To be honest the birth rate in most of the world is dropping, in the big population centers especialy, in india the total fertility rate has actualy dropped 42% since the 1960s (its now 2.7) its just that there are lots of women at reproductive age, so the crude birth rate is high. Indias population will begin to stablise, and then possibly (if it follows the west) shrink.

Teveth

The answer lies in education, if you ask me. We must educate those less fortunate than ourselves that contraception is a valuable tool, and that having 5 or more children is probably not a good idea (like many in sub-Saharan Africa believe it to be).

you really need to read up about this before making sweeping statements like that

many studies suggest that children “pay for themselves” far before their parents’ retirement and even in comparatively developed countries are still an excellent investment. A report of the economic activities of children in a village in Bangladesh found that boys are economically active from age six, produce more than they consume by age twelve and by fifteen they have produced more than they have consumed over their lifetime so far

for example: (Cain, M. T. (1977). The Economic Activities of Children in a Village in Bangladesh . Population and Development Review , 201-227.)
Reply 42
Callipygian
you really need to read up about this before making sweeping statements like that

many studies suggest that children “pay for themselves” far before their parents’ retirement and even in comparatively developed countries are still an excellent investment. A report of the economic activities of children in a village in Bangladesh found that boys are economically active from age six, produce more than they consume by age twelve and by fifteen they have produced more than they have consumed over their lifetime so far

for example: (Cain, M. T. (1977). The Economic Activities of Children in a Village in Bangladesh . Population and Development Review , 201-227.)

There's no point, you're arguing with a moron here. I see no need to entertain his stupidity.
Bishamon
There's no point, you're arguing with a moron here. I see no need to entertain his stupidity.

:p:

but someone on the internet is wrong!!!

should probably go to sleep soon.. :smile:
Reply 44
It's over consumption by too few that's to blame.
Reply 45
Feed people to people.
Population goes down and resources don't run out.
Simple really, or am I missing something?
Reply 46
Teveth
Idiot, I think not.

I find your aggressive views towards the people of the West both threatening and offensive.

Threatening? Really? It is not like I'm planning to blow London up... in fact, I'm not planning to blow anything up, just saying that us (yes, us for I am a c*** of a Westerner myself) are causing the most damage to our world.

Offensive? Face it, the West is messed up - we throw away enough food to feed every starving child and we alone are responsible for this 'global warming' thing that is destroying our planet... and for that deforestation thing that is destroying out planet... and for that slave labour thing that destroys millions of lives...

Think about it.

Did you know that the US lent Ghana the money to build a dam in the 1960s in return for having using it to produce aluminium for the next 50 years? They did not even have the decency to buy the ore from Ghana... they got it from Jamaica for less money so now the Ghanaians have a polluting factory powered by a dam whose benefits they cannot reap because of Western F*****-up-ness.
Reply 47
kevtp
Feed people to people.
Population goes down and resources don't run out.
Simple really, or am I missing something?

It's been thought of: Johnathan Swift, A Modest Proposal

Well... if you look at the populations of western countries like France, for example, they have a declining birth rate which is leading to a smaller population, without the impact of immigration. Once contraception has been handed about and people realise they don't need 8 children to work the land and/or recieve extra benefits, the population will decline. Right now, people don't have any incentive to have less children. The restrictions in China was a good idea to stabilise the population in theory, but the brutality of the slaughter of girls in the pursuit of male children in practice was unprecidented.
Teveth
Why would I want to cull myself?

Because you are a useless consumer of food and water, and since its your plan......
Reply 49
Teveth

I have written to him for his views on which method of culling would be best, but I am still awaiting the reply. I will get back to you all when I receive it.

Which method do you think will be most effective?
Reply 50
Relax people, it's a discussion.....

The population of Africa is largely kept alive artificially, by huge amounts of aid from the OECD countries.

There is no "culling" needed. Simply pumping billions of dollars in as "aid" and they'll all perish from disease or hunger. It's unsustainable to have Africa as developed as the West, and most people here would not be willing to sacrifice their lifestyle and live as people in India do (which Attenbrough said is the only way for everyone to live sustainably.)

Problem temporarily solved.:smile:
Reply 51
rmorrison12
No no I totally agree, start with yourself and the world will follow.

:rofl:
Reply 52
Teveth
Having watched the latest episode of Horizon which examined the seriousness of the threat posed by growing overpopulation, I've been thinking. We need to take serious action. 6 billion people is already a too great a number to be sustained on this planet, never mind the 9 billion which is what the population is expected to be in 40 years time. Simply, food and water shortages are going to become increasingly common. Human suffering will reach unimaginable scales.

I propose that humane culling is the only solution. It makes me sick to think of these slut-women in the third world (and indeed here) giving birth to 6, 7 or 8 or more children without giving any thought for the planet. The Vatican is a big problem, people in sub-Saharan Africa and in South America have been brainwashed into believing condoms are not to be used due to the Vaticans lies, but I feel that it is too late. The only answer, I'm afraid, will be to cull. If they ('they' being third world overpopulated countries) don't want to take charge of the situation, then we must.

I don't know if chemical culling is the most humane option (chem trials in the sky maybe?), or whether a bombardment of atomic bombs is the answer. All I know is that something needs to be done.

Did you actually watch the program? It's conclusion was that, with current technology, the earth could sustain 15 billion people if we shared the resources equally. With a reduction in waste and a boost in technology over the next 20 years? Probably 20 billion.

The problem isn't overpopulation. The problem is the greed, exploitation, arrogance, ignorance, religion, bigotry and ludditism of the West.
Food production isn't the problem, food distribution is.
Sure there's a limited supply of available farm land but we're a technological society. That shouldn't be an issue. We could build towers where food is grown on multiple floors in artificial settings if the situation gets really bad. GM crops will also have to be accepted at some point. But as I say, distribution is the biggest problem.
Reply 54
py0alb
Did you actually watch the program? It's conclusion was that, with current technology, the earth could sustain 15 billion people if we shared the resources equally. With a reduction in waste and a boost in technology over the next 20 years? Probably 20 billion.

The problem isn't overpopulation. The problem is the greed, exploitation, arrogance, ignorance, religion, bigotry and ludditism of the West.

Yes, and it said something about everybody on the planet having to live like people in India have to live.
If we share the resources equally, our lifestyles in the West will have to suffer a huuuuge amount.

Are you willing right now to turn your computer off, and never turn it on again, to save electricity? Are you willing to never ever fly abroad for a foreign holiday again, or use your car for recreational purposes?
Are you?

I sure as hell ain't, however selfish that sounds, and most people in the West ultimately aren't either.
Reply 55
Unfortunately, families in the 3rd world will always be having insurance births because it is increases the chances of the family getting out of poverty. Only difference now is that less of those kids are dying and less will continue to die in future as medical care and diets improve in the 3rd world. The only 'solution' is to do what china did, one child for each family in africa, middle east, asia etc. Look at china now, a booming economy that CAN sustain itself and is set to overtake the US in 12 years

Any woman in the west, whatever colour, should be steralised if it is her perogative to have 10-13 kids for the sake of benefits. This will prevent the current 'dumbing down' of the human race aswell.
Reply 56
I'm sure when the population gets too big and there are water shortages as you say, people will die and the population will right itself.

Human Culling is not the answer you wierdo.
Reply 57
MaceyThe
Yes, and it said something about everybody on the planet having to live like people in India have to live.
If we share the resources equally, our lifestyles in the West will have to suffer a huuuuge amount.

Are you willing right now to turn your computer off, and never turn it on again, to save electricity? Are you willing to never ever fly abroad for a foreign holiday again, or use your car for recreational purposes?
Are you?

I sure as hell ain't, however selfish that sounds, and most people in the West ultimately aren't either.

Electricity isn't the problem. There is plenty of nuclear power to go round. From electricity we can power our electric cars, or refuel our hydrogen cells.

Our lifestyles really wouldn't have to suffer at all. You know there is enough food thrown away in the US and Europe each year to feed the entire of Africa? Ironically half of it is grown in Africa, shipped here, then left to rot. How funny and charming that must seem to starving Africans.

There would still be loads of food to go round if we actually managed the land properly, rather than DELIBERATELY reducing yields for the supposed improved flavour of organic produce (even though it fails every blind taste test). Buying organic food is possibly the least ethical thing you can do.

Water is the main issue - but that can be desalinated, it just takes a lot of electricity... but if we built some nuclear power plants that wouldn't be an issue either. D'oh.

The solutions are all there... but people are just too busy riding fashionable causes like "save the **** ing polar bears" to notice.
actually id personally agree with human culling.
and the poorest nations would be ontop of the list
Byllie
Unfortunately, families in the 3rd world will always be having insurance births because it is increases the chances of the family getting out of poverty. Only difference now is that less of those kids are dying and less will continue to die in future as medical care and diets improve in the 3rd world. The only 'solution' is to do what china did, one child for each family in africa, middle east, asia etc. Look at china now, a booming economy that CAN sustain itself and is set to overtake the US in 12 years

Any woman in the west, whatever colour, should be steralised if it is her perogative to have 10-13 kids for the sake of benefits. This will prevent the current 'dumbing down' of the human race aswell.

Its my understanding that a lot of these third world large families couldnt sustain themselves with only 1/2 kids. In what possible way is the human race being 'dumbed down'?

Latest

Trending

Trending