The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

vas876
We have already established your naivety. (well ish, you kinda agree it needs to be improved, yes seem to miss the point in it being a **** test.)
In which it is only useful as an easy way out by the medical schools.

Its not an *expletive* test.

The non, verbal reasoning is genius and has a good proven track record. The maths is good, it simply assesses how fast you are at reasonably simple arithmetic. The decision analysis is normally quite logical. Only the VR I thought is a tad iffy. Anyway, I do not see why we lambast medical schools for wanting to not have to look at every tom, dick and harry's ps. They avoid getting so many applicants by pushing for AAB or AAA, undoubtedly there are good candidates who get 3 B's.

vas876
Well what about the well scoring applicants like me who still will say that it is rubbish. And the only purpose it serves is to reduce the work the admissions tutors need to do, and the number of personal statements they need to read.

What do you mean by high scoring, I could not see your UKcat average. Even high scoring applicants often feel bad about their result, wishing they were higher up. Its a very natural feeling which can lead to questioning the validity of the test. I think 737.5 is top 10% of entrants, but I still want to be higher, even though it serves no purpose, I bet you wish you did to.
Single Malt
Its not an *expletive* test.

The non, verbal reasoning is genius and has a good proven track record. The maths is good, it simply assesses how fast you are at reasonably simple arithmetic. The decision analysis is normally quite logical. Only the VR I thought is a tad iffy. Anyway, I do not see why we lambast medical schools for wanting to not have to look at every tom, dick and harry's ps. They avoid getting so many applicants by pushing for AAB or AAA, undoubtedly there are good candidates who get 3 B's.

What do you mean by high scoring, I could not see your UKcat average. Even high scoring applicants often feel bad about their result, wishing they were higher up. Its a very natural feeling which can lead to questioning the validity of the test. I think 737.5 is top 10% of entrants, but I still want to be higher, even though it serves no purpose, I bet you wish you did to.

Well none of us are free from bias. I do wonder if you'd love the UKCAT so much if you'd got under 600. :p:
Jonty99
Well none of us are free from bias. I do wonder if you'd love the UKCAT so much if you'd got under 600. :p:

But thats an impossible situation:rolleyes:
Single Malt
But thats an impossible situation:rolleyes:

It is possible to get under 600.
Jonty99
It is possible to get under 600.

For other people, yes, yes it is.
Single Malt

I'm sure it could have happened to you aswell. Unlikely perhaps, but possible.
Reply 66
Single Malt

This is why you are an ass, biased, arrogant and generally stuck up.

I would not want you to be my doctor, Now. But i know that in the next year you will mature into a good person.

Until then, think a little more about other people, and think about things from perspectives other than your own. I know you find this difficult, but you will give it a go as you need to do this in order to get an offer from medical school. I can only hope you will learn to use reasoning and empathy in other aspects of your life.
Jonty99
I'm sure it could have happened to you aswell. Unlikely perhaps, but possible.

Firsty year I applied for medicine I did no practise work whatsoever before the ukcat test. I did not even look at the UKcat test page and do the program. I turned up and got 680. So no, speaking objectiely, it is virtually impossible for me to get below 600, especially now I know how to get the best out of myself in the exam.
Single Malt
Firsty year I applied for medicine I did no practise work whatsoever before the ukcat test. I did not even look at the UKcat test page and do the program. I turned up and got 680. So no, speaking objectiely, it is virtually impossible for me to get below 600, especially now I know how to get the best out of myself in the exam.

Virtually impossible = unlikely perhaps, but still possible
Jonty99
Virtually impossible = unlikely perhaps, but still possible

Just like it's possible the queen jacks in her career as a parasite and starts a a career as a bin-lady:rolleyes:
Reply 70
vas876
This is why you are an ass, biased, arrogant and generally stuck up.

I would not want you to be my doctor, Now. But i know that in the next year you will mature into a good person.

Until then, think a little more about other people, and think about things from perspectives other than your own. I know you find this difficult, but you will give it a go as you need to do this in order to get an offer from medical school. I can only hope you will learn to use reasoning and empathy in other aspects of your life.

i printscreened this post for funsies.

.... "But i know that in the next year you will mature into a good person."
Anyone got any useful ideas for alternatives to the exam?
Reply 72
najeezy
i printscreened this post for funsies.

.... "But i know that in the next year you will mature into a good person."

If you printscreen posts from TSR for fun i feel for you.

(did your print it and put it on your wall too?):p:
Reply 73
vas876
If you printscreen posts from TSR for fun i feel for you.

(did your print it and put it on your wall too?):p:

:tongue: no harm done mate, just some of the things make me lol.
Reply 74
najeezy
:tongue: no harm done mate, just some of the things make me lol.

Do you not think his last few posts reeked of arrogance and superiority of how he could not possibly get lower than 600?

It is always easy to state the inevitable with the benefit of hindsight.
Reply 75
fortysixandtwo
Anyone got any useful ideas for alternatives to the exam?

GAMSAT seems fairer.

Even a cross between an standardised IQ test and the UKCAT would be an improvement. Would it not?
Reply 76
vas876
Do you not think his last few posts reeked of arrogance and superiority of how he could not possibly get lower than 600?

It is always easy to state the inevitable with the benefit of hindsight.

its a forum, dont get caught up on peoples posts, for all you know it could be you're brother.
Reply 77
najeezy
its a forum, dont get caught up on peoples posts, for all you know it could be you're brother.

It would'nt surprise me if he was. :smile: :biggrin:
Reply 78
It's not fair to assume low-scoring applicants think the test is rubbish.

The fact of the matter is, it is a guessing game. It is difficult to tell whether an applicant is clever or just good at guessing - many have admitted that.

You see so many people with high UKCAT scores and low BMAT scores. The BMAT is a better way of testing people.
pgreg1
It's not fair to assume low-scoring applicants think the test is rubbish.

The fact of the matter is, it is a guessing game. It is difficult to tell whether an applicant is clever or just good at guessing - many have admitted that.

You see so many people with high UKCAT scores and low BMAT scores. The BMAT is a better way of testing people.

Yes, guessing will play a part, but you have to bear in mind that it is statistically very very unlikely you can guess your way to a great score. BMAT is also multiple choice though, so could be open to the same criticisms.

Latest

Trending

Trending