The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

chebanana
You seem to have quite a few misconceptions, for one thing, 98% of the population wouldn't give a **** about a Scottish person in a patriotic t-shirt. Secondly, the same goes for the Scots with the English, and if you really feel that wearing an England shirt is "showing off", then you must have a serious inferiority complex towards England. On the whole, we don't think we're better than you, and as it's been said, the majority of the British population live in England, so the chances are that yes, it will be dominated by English interests, just as the Scottish media is interested in Scotland.

Uh I wasnt talking about me, you seem to be assuming things.

I go by experience, I remeber a Scottish guy being bricked and hugely scarred for life in Cumbria for wearing a Scotland shirt, my brother has worn a Scotland shirt before in Cumbria and had policemen come up to him and say he better put something over ti as the locals will want to start a fight and I have worn a Scotland shirt in Cheshire and been chased by a gang for being """""""" Scottish.

During the last world cup some people came up in England shirts to Scotland in my home town then started bitching about the Scottish being racist, the same Scottish people who kept coming up to them and offering to shake their hands and buy them drinks just because the Scottish people were cheering Englands rivals despite telling them it was in good faith.

I am half Scottish and half English having lived about 50/50 in both countries growing up and even my mum who is 55 and raised in England and only brough to Scotland around the age of 30 gets angry at the English biased media.

When I say "showing off" I mean its seen as a positive to be proud to be English and not thinking about Scotlish, Welsh, or Irish interests but its seen as racist for a Scottish person to wear a Scotland shirt in England.
Reply 181
G-TownDreamer
This is untrue. If a scot decides to go to an English university they still do not pay tuition fees whilst an Englishperson going to a Scottish university will have to pay £3000+ per year. Thus it IS racism, oddly enough these injustices only really came about when Labour took power in 1997, after just two successive Scottish PMs over 12/13 years the seeds of seperation have been sewn.

It's still based on where you live. University funding is based on your household, your primary residence other than university. That's how students loans are calculated, and it counts for this too. An English person could get a free tuition fees in Scotland if they live in Scotland for at least 3 years before starting their university education.
Probably because Englishmen can't spell Scotland.
Never heard of this Sotland.
Reply 184
Colonic Immigration
Probably because Englishmen can't spell Scotland.

The man in your signature photo is indeed not your president, unless you happen to be one of the members of the European Council, currently sitting in one of its meetings.

Latest

Trending

Trending