The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

2nd/3rd year Housing

So, me and two others want to live in a house next year, but I'm kind of confused about how it all works. I need to know what the norms are before I can compare different houses and housing companies.

When do tenancies usually start? I keep seeing them starting in July which seems very early.

How long do tenancies usually last?

Does anyone who lives in shared housing know of the best companies/houses?

I viewed some Charlestown Properties houses today, and they were really really nice but the tenancy is 51 weeks long which is waaaay too long for us.

I also had a look at Lighthouse Properties but I heard (only from one person) that they weren't very good. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Any other miscellaneous info would be much appreciated.
MikiPedia
So, me and two others want to live in a house next year, but I'm kind of confused about how it all works. I need to know what the norms are before I can compare different houses and housing companies.

When do tenancies usually start? I keep seeing them starting in July which seems very early.

Most start in July tho some are august, we are currently with lighthouse and ours started in may, which meant paying a £300 deposit in April then a months rent inadvance,which left me crippled for money over summer :frown:

11 Months I believe, though if you want to keep huse on you'll usually get the 12h month free so you dont have to move out etc.

We are with Light house, and the are shocking! We had 0 heating for the first month we lived there as they wouldn give u sa new boiler as it had packed in! Weve rang up about our hobs not working loads of times and still havent been fixed in 4 months! They are awful. Ive heard good things bout clubeasy recently though, However Ive found that living in a house is not for me so il be going back to pavilions in my 3rd year.

I viewed some Charlestown Properties houses today, and they were really really nice but the tenancy is 51 weeks long which is waaaay too long for us.

I also had a look at Lighthouse Properties but I heard (only from one person) that they weren't very good. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Yes, awful. Make sure you get a good company, possiby from word of mouth and dont rush like we did.

Make sureyou really like the house and are not rushed into signing a contract. I thought I liked this house initially but I really dont any more, just doesn't feel right andI think I prefer flats.

Make sure you save up your loan/wage to get you through the summer as you still have to pay the rent despite not being there. Also ask to see if TV lisense and contents insurance are included as ours werent and although we thught it was cheap, we still had to pay for these hings, plus virgin TV as freeiew didnt work and also for the internet!

Our contract also states we can only use £4 of water/gas/electricity a day which is £1 per head a day for us, which means extra bills. Also get a good area, places like Carholme road and West Parade are notorious for being broken into.
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
i know this sounds crazy but we've got a ten bed house and need to fill the rooms because somepeople have dropped out of uni so we need to fill their rooms. Its £69 pw, all inclusive, internet, TV liscence, gas, elecy, insurance, all bills are covered. personal message me if your intrested, its through club easy, so no dodgey landlords or anything, and will be with second years. x
MikiPedia

Hi Michael :h:

Erm I think you'll be lucky to find somewhere with the length of tenancy to suit you tbh. Ours starts in July giving us a whole month of overlap, but that's also a nice long month to get everything moved and nice.

We looked at a few places with a few companies, but we went with Lighthouse in the end - they're the same people that run Brayford Court (if that's what it's called?) so if you already live there you can transfer your deposit and such. I know a couple of people who're with them and apparently on the whole they're quite good. Clubeasy on the other hand I've heard are crap.

Did you go to the Housing Fair at all?

(tbh you asked in December so you might have sorted it by now lol)

Latest