The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Dunno, my gran died yesterday. Takes some getting used to... :dontknow:
Reply 21
Does my own death, i.e. the act of ceasing to exist in a human state scare me - no, not at all. The pain and all the add ons scare me, and so does the death of family members/close friends, but I guess thats something that gonna happen someday so it's one of the few fears in my life that I'll definatally have to come to terms with.
patientology
Well, sir, some poeple -me included- do not like the thought of "no sensations". By the way: your tragic story does not really help this discussion along and I don't feel sorry for you- just in case you are interested in my opinion.

Hi.
Why such a confronting attitude? I was giving my contribution to the discussion, and I don't care whether you 'feel sorry' for me, it isn't why I said it :confused:
well take care anyway.
mathperson
Hi.
Why such a confronting attitude? I was giving my contribution to the discussion, and I don't care whether you 'feel sorry' for me, it isn't why I said it :confused:
well take care anyway.

I'm sorry. Sometimes I tend to be a bit confronting as you say. By the way I liked you second post a lot. Just a minute ago, I believed it was written by an other user- my mistace.
RahRahBadRomance
I'm absolutely terrified of dying, more so than anything else. The fact that life will go on without me is the biggest thing I need to accept and get over.

That is exactly the same for me. When I was younger (actually... not THAT much younger :p: ) I would stay awake nearly every night for hours just thinking about death and crying. I often had to sit up and read a book or go on the internet to try and stop myself from thinking about such things.
It has only got a slight bit better as I've got older; I don't stay awake crying but I think about death an awful lot and it frightens me more than anything in the world. I just can not come to terms with it. I know it will happen and have seen it happen to people close to me but I truly can not imagine it actually happening to me. I'm not sure whether I'm more scared of the fact that I will not be able to experience everyday life or the fact that there wont be a me anymore or that I wont be able to think, my soul will have gone? If that makes any sense at all!
But yeah, this is my worst fear and always has been from a very young age :frown:
Bubbles*de*Milo
Dunno, my gran died yesterday. Takes some getting used to... :dontknow:

I'm really sorry to hear this. Someone close to me died about 2 weeks ago. It is hard to get used to things, but we have to do it some time
My main view on death that is the easiest to communicate, is that I don't want the people I love to die :nope:
My view on Death is that he is male, reasonably tall very boney, missing a fair amount of his flesh. Is usually found wearing black robes and a hood carries a scythe.
Has little respect of age or lifestyle, might enjoy poetry, walks in the park or checking out the local grave yard.
I don't think he's too keen on music, not really the sporting type either. Although he was a champion at murderball back in his day.
I would assume he has a liberal political stance.
Reply 28
"To the well-organised mind, death is but the next great adventure."
Reply 29
Must admit I don't like the idea of death, simply because I don't know what will happen, its the natural fear of the unknown. I don't believe in any sort of afterlife but there's no way to be totally certain of this. I see no good reason to believe in 'eternal life' though and when you think about it, eternal life is actually an extremely disturbing idea (see this video if you're wondering what I'm on about). Nobody likes the idea of those close to them dying but we just have to come to terms with it as best we can. I do find the idea of my own non-existence hard to fathom. And it strikes me that the world just carries on largely unaffected when someone dies. It kinda reminds me of the cemetery scene in the Muppet Christmas Carol where Scrooge is looking at his own gravestone and nobody seems to be bothered about his death.

I believe in living as long as life continues to be worth it, I don't mean you should kill yourself because you're depressed etc I mean terminal illnesses. Some of these people go through hellish physical suffering, you wouldn't let any other animal suffer like that so why force a human to go through it? I definatley agree with the saying 'I'd rather die standing than live on my knees'. My personal standard is that life is worth living as long as I can still wipe my own arse lol.
Reply 30
i havent come to terms with it and im not sure i ever will. i really cant understand it when people say things like "im not afraid of death". how can you not be afraid of your conciousness ceasing to exist?
I've posted in this thread already with what I believe to be pretty decent posts.
But about my suicidal thoughts.
I wish I could lay down and go to sleep and never wake up. I have autism and the social difficulties are really getting to me now. I'm physically and mentally exausted, I feel like my actual 'soul' (not just my body) wants to just lay down and drift away. I lay at night thinking that if my suicide attempt 2 weeks ago worked I would be at peace now............one day...I will.
Reply 32
Y50727
As a child, I had an extreme fear of death. I used to always cry about it. I wasn't afraid of the actual process of dying, but the loss of consciousness and appreciation of what we enjoy today. Even today I often think that my parents - whom are in their 50s - will cease to exist, and that will be it. As I look around my room, one day, it will come to an end. In honesty, it fills up me with fear. I've still to accept it - but I hope, one day, I will.

What about you? Have you come to terms with it, or does it still make you shiver?

Death for me is a new beginning without knowing it. Without knowing it is the worrying about. e.g. I believe some people talking about reincarnation.

We don't know whats after death, we all assume, one there is life, there is death. No longer (will be existed). We just assume, i'm also assuming. I just don't believe things end just like that.

Theres lots of unexplained things at the moment, we all have theories on what we think of it. The secrets of the universe...eek
Dantoni
What evidence are you basing this on? The statement you made is not objectively true or subjectively possible.

Death is not a progression of Life, a progression of life is an expansion of life and implying a transformation from physical to superstitious fantasy.

My message:
Pursue life to the fullest you only get one life, make the most of it.

If my viewpoint is illogical, why should you concern yourself with what I believe. Having experienced many personal deaths among my immediate family and friends within a 6 year period, I am faithful to the belief that we will be joined again together in the afterlife. There are births and there are deaths, this world is a temporary home, a tent where we are in preparation for our eternal home. I hold true to this teaching and I will not depart. May you remain confident in your ideas about life and death. :smile:
I think dying scares me, the pain. But actual death, I look forward to it, to leaving this earth full of pain and sadness. I do hope I get to Heaven. Just my personal belief. As for my parents/loved ones dying, that scares me, I can't imagine what life would be like being without them. I'm just glad that I'm getting to know them as people as oppose to mum and dad. I love them to bits and am glad that I'm getting the opportunity to deepen our relationship, age is such a blessing in that sense.
Reply 35
Fatal_Microbes
My view on Death is that he is male, reasonably tall very boney, missing a fair amount of his flesh. Is usually found wearing black robes and a hood carries a scythe.
Has little respect of age or lifestyle, might enjoy poetry, walks in the park or checking out the local grave yard.
I don't think he's too keen on music, not really the sporting type either. Although he was a champion at murderball back in his day.
I would assume he has a liberal political stance.

:rolleyes:
Reply 36
I can't really sympathise or imagine what it must feel like to be thinking about eternal nothingness and be scared by it.
Perhaps it is only because I am religious, but I have thought about it and accept that there might only be nothingness after life - it still just doesn't scare me.

Perhaps it is just because I am an optimist and generally positive person. When my pets have been close to death (don't laugh, I develop very close bonds with them) I don't even accept it as a possibility until several weeks after they are already dead. That sounds very strange, but death isn't something I think will actually happen - even though it obviously will. It's sort of like being scared of earthquakes when you live in Surrey, they aren't going to happen so you aren't scared of them. Then when someone does die, it just seems like a freak unusual event that won't happen again.
I don't really fear death. I fear a painful death or the death of someone very close to me. But I think I have come to realise that death is inevitable and we need not fear it. Death is not an event in life; we do not live to experience death (Wittgenstein).

edit: I just realised that I have said practically nothing but maybe this is how I feel about death. I have nothing to say about it :s-smilie:
Reply 38
What I find shocking is the question was "How do You deal with death" and every time a person gives there own Religious method or insight on the matter, it get's pounced on and people attempt to discredit it or them.

It's petty and childish, just take the opinion..note or discard it.

and as for how I deal with it, for a long time I was scared to much like the OP the concept of Nothingness Terrified me when I was a child. However through my early teenage years I never really thought about it and by the time I did start to think about the concept again I was firmly religious. In some way this has proved a useful mental crutch for me as now I have an overwhelming confidence in Jesus Christ, so I find I don't fear the process or result now, only the effect it would have on those I know, and what I would miss out on.
Reply 39
Ribbits
I can't really sympathise or imagine what it must feel like to be thinking about eternal nothingness and be scared by it.
Perhaps it is only because I am religious, but I have thought about it and accept that there might only be nothingness after life - it still just doesn't scare me.

Perhaps it is just because I am an optimist and generally positive person. When my pets have been close to death (don't laugh, I develop very close bonds with them) I don't even accept it as a possibility until several weeks after they are already dead. That sounds very strange, but death isn't something I think will actually happen - even though it obviously will. It's sort of like being scared of earthquakes when you live in Surrey, they aren't going to happen so you aren't scared of them. Then when someone does die, it just seems like a freak unusual event that won't happen again.

Hmmm ... That's very strange to me! No offense at all, and if this reads as rude it was not intended that way .. I just think that your view of death is really weird I guess!
In a way I envy you, because the way I've felt before was very unpleasant and perhaps your view is more comforting. When my dog was really sick last year (I didn't laugh at you.. I am very close with my pet dogs as well and totally understand)...I was SO SO panicked that she was going to die. I had slept over at my boyfriends and the next day I got a phone call from my mom that my dog had to be taken to the emergency vet for a day-surgery because she wouldn't stop bleeding from a cut. I was told it was no big deal and that she would be home later that day, but I couldn't help being really worried. A few hours later, my mom called me again and said that my dog started bleeding out of her nose and eyes and having a fit while she was unconscious pre-surgery. Upon hearing this, I was hysterical. I was crying uncontrollably, freaking out, I was screaming at my bf to take me home immediately --Even though my dog was obv. still at the vet and I wouldn't be able to see her. It was the worst feeling, not having any control, not being able to help, or see my dog...The feeling in my stomach of pure panic was horrible and I can still remember it well. After this, I called my friend and told her through my sobs..I was shaking really badly. The whole time I felt intense fear that she was going to die and it scared the **** out of me, it really did. When she stopped bleeding and the vet released her to us so that we could take her right to our regular vet the next day; she still was not better and had not yet been diagnosed with any reasons for the bleeding. I went with my Dad to pick her up, and I was half afraid to touch her but I held her the whole way home. I hadn't stopped crying since that phone call and did not sleep that night at all. I was watching her 24/7 in case she started to bleed again, and I think I scared my parents a bit with my behaviour.
Now, I wonder how freaked out I would get if this happens to a close family member or friend...Although, I do have a really strong bond with my pets (dogs should be known as a woman's best friend, too!) so I imagine it would be a similar feeling. :cry:

When I was younger I was so afraid of losing my parents. Still to this day, at 22 yrs old, I worry about it -- My parents smoke and my mom has diabetes, so it's always in the back of my head. It's scary.
I worry more about those that I love dying than of myself dying, though.
My grandmother passed away 11 years ago, I remember that one well too even though it was so long ago. I remember the pain from it, feeling it in my stomach and having to curl up in a ball to stop the hurt. The worst feeling, and even today still, is when I think about the fact that I will never see her again, spend the day at her house, go for walks, hear her voice ... So I guess I don't fear death itself, I fear missing someone, losing them, and mostly the idea of me having to live my life without someone...As opposed to some of the other posters who said their fear came from life going on without them.

Ughh .. I hadn't thought about death in awhile actually, until now. It does really freak me out when I let the thoughts in!! If I think about it too much, I think it's unfair that they had/have to go....Unfair to ME. In my grandma's case, she suffered a lot of pain for two years before she passed, so I guess for her it was probably relief mixed with fear of the unknown. Before she died she wrote me a letter, asking if I would please always remember her...She must have been worried that people would forget her. Impossible. :sad:

sorry for the long and sad post ... just keep typing on this one

Latest

Trending

Trending