The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Blondie22
The Norwich Law Schol (UEA) is great, i went there/am there now! i know people in my year who graduated last year with 2.1s who have pupillages!

I'm guessing they've done the BVC :wink:
Reply 21
It is certainly possible with a 2:1 provided that degree is from a highly regarded university.

However, the number of pupillages on offer has been dropping for the last couple of years - it fell by 20% last year to 572. At the same time, the number of applicants has been increasing. See: http://www.thelawyer.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=115414&d=122&h=24&f=46

Clearly that means that it is becoming increasingly difficult to secure such a pupillage and those with excellent academics are more likely to be successful. In my view, chambers are less interested in the "well-roundedness" of an applicant as are solicitors' firms. The nature of a barrister's work means that the good team skills etc etc that a potential trainee solicitor needs to demonstrate are not as necessary for a potential pupil (they are still valuable but just not as important). Conversely, academic excellence is more highly prized by the bar due to the nature of their day-to-day work.

To put it very basically, imagine there are two candidates. One, a student from a red-brick with a 2:1 and plenty of extra-curricular stuff on the CV. The other, a student from Oxbridge with a first but little else. The law firm would generally be interested in the first candidate but less so the second. A set of chambers would be more interested in the second candidate but less so the first. Please note that this is an extreme simplification of the position but you get my point!

Chalks.
Reply 22
Thank you every body for your contributions, they are all much appreciated!

I think the comment made by someone about a steely desire (and belief) to succeed and doing ones best is the best way to approach it - then we'll see how it all pans out.
Reply 23
chalks
It is certainly possible with a 2:1 provided that degree is from a highly regarded university.

However, the number of pupillages on offer has been dropping for the last couple of years - it fell by 20% last year to 572. At the same time, the number of applicants has been increasing. See: http://www.thelawyer.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=115414&d=122&h=24&f=46

Clearly that means that it is becoming increasingly difficult to secure such a pupillage and those with excellent academics are more likely to be successful. In my view, chambers are less interested in the "well-roundedness" of an applicant as are solicitors' firms. The nature of a barrister's work means that the good team skills etc etc that a potential trainee solicitor needs to demonstrate are not as necessary for a potential pupil (they are still valuable but just not as important). Conversely, academic excellence is more highly prized by the bar due to the nature of their day-to-day work.

To put it very basically, imagine there are two candidates. One, a student from a red-brick with a 2:1 and plenty of extra-curricular stuff on the CV. The other, a student from Oxbridge with a first but little else. The law firm would generally be interested in the first candidate but less so the second. A set of chambers would be more interested in the second candidate but less so the first. Please note that this is an extreme simplification of the position but you get my point!

Chalks.

Quite a few people in my Boyfriends call year didn't get pupillages (and that was a few years ago now!) - a lot went on to do the conversion course thingy to become solicitors or went into The City.

Even getting a v.comp and above is no guarentee...
Okay this is the ball game. First of all yes, it is possible to get a pupillage with a 2.1. Off hand I don't know about a 2.2 but it's fair to say the chances drop sharply.

Getting a pupillage involves two challenges. The first is getting through the door to an interview. This is the hardest because it is capricious. No one can really know how a Chambers knock 200 or so applications down to 10, or however many they have shortlisted for interview. So it's fair to say a 2.1 is a great start, as is a VC from the BVC, as is mooting experience and mini-pupillages.

After that, if you get an interview you have a chance to shine, and that's when it becomes a little easier. The interview may be hell but at leats there is a feeling that it is in your own hands.

Couple of extra points having read the posts- glad to see so many people talking about Norwich Law School- a temple of law!

Also to the chap who seems obsessed with talking about him/her self in the third person, it's 'Chambers' and not 'firms'.

Latest

Trending

Trending