The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
United: Probably the most successful British club in the last 20 years, and has won numerous titles. This success, combined with the global outreach of the Premier League, means a lot of people from China, India and to an extent Africa claim to "support" the club, but in reality would jump on any bandwagon(though of them are genuine supporters). This success also has lead to the birth of many myths, such as "United are just successful due to money" and "All United fans are from London or outside the UK", and these are mostly perpetuated by fans of other teams who have not enjoyed as much success as United.
City: They have not won much, and certainly have not had the kind of success United have had. However, a recent takeover by some gentlemen from Abu Dhabi has made them the richest club in the world, and last summer they bought many "top 4" players, who would earlier have been out of their reach. Thus, many people believe that with this new found money and the talent that has come with it they should be able to become a bigger force in the league and perhaps indeed even rival their more illustrious neighbours.
One has money, and the other has money and trophies.
Reply 42
TheMeister
:biggrin:

The club hasn't won anything since 1976. :p:

Haha then it's a duster the fans are more likely to need! Aww. :smile:
Reply 43
ish90an
However, a recent takeover by some gentlemen from Abu Dhabi has made them the richest club in the world, and last summer they bought many "top 4" players, who would earlier have been out of their reach. Thus, many people believe that with this new found money and the talent that has come with it they should be able to become a bigger force in the league and perhaps indeed even rival their more illustrious neighbours.
I can defo see where you're coming from, but from my knowledge of sports, I always find that it's champion team that beats a team of champions - all the time :wink:

It's about the synergy imo, but if that's great then yep maybe they are fated to succeed, who knows.
man city are the city club.
united are the borough club
danni_bella
Hey,

I'm just wondering what the difference is? I have a friend here who's originally from the UK and he's mad about Manchester City, but I don't know what the difference is between City and United?

Please... do your part to help prevent DB from looking like a social klutz at this BBQ we are all (friends) attending tomorrow :biggrin:

xox

nothing, both teams play the same **** sport
Reply 46
If you can't tell difference between United and City - you shouldn't be supporting/going for either :rofl:

:wink:
Reply 47
danni_bella
I'm not thick, and google doesn't talk about the social repuation these teams have, just the facts.

I wanna find out what people REALLY think about them :wink: Whether City or United is more popular, although tbh I think United is globally.

In many British cities, rather than just having one club, there existed a "catholic club" and a "protestant club". In Glasgow, this distinction still remains, but elsewhere the religious aspect has been forgotten long ago. Liverpool/Everton and United/City are examples of this: United were catholic and City were protestant.

Nowadays the fans are split on a geographical basis, with south and west Manchester tending to support Utd, and north and east Manchester tending to support City - but mainly people support the team their dad supported etc.

United are undisputably the bigger and more successful club, and, as such, have inevitably attracted fans from outside of Manchester, who are attracted by their history, success, and tradition of exciting, attacking football.

In response, City and their fans claim to the the "real" Manchester football team - although there are actually 50% MORE United Fans living in the Manchester postcode than City fans.

The two sets of fans don't get on at all, increasingly fuelled by City fan's jealousy of United's remarkable success, both on and off the pitch, over the past 15 years.
united are red and city are blue :smile:
danni_bella
Really? LOL my cousins go for them!

They're not mad about them, but defo have the posters, hats etc in their room :biggrin:

Also that's probably true about half of China, haha. There are quite a few international students at my uni from there, and yeah a lot of them walk around with Man U merchandise, i.e. t-shirts, hats, bags even.

Hehe refrain from supporting them :lol: I joined their fan page on Facebook but that's about it, in sport I'm more of an AFL baracker :wink:

dont say go, say 'My cousins support them' or 'My cousins are united fans' - you will likely to get bludgeoned otherwise :yep:

and like everyone else has been saying, man utd are far better supported everywhere in the world except probs in manchester where there it is mostly of city fans
py0alb
In many British cities, rather than just having one club, there existed a "catholic club" and a "protestant club". In Glasgow, this distinction still remains, but elsewhere the religious aspect has been forgotten long ago. Liverpool/Everton and United/City are examples of this: United were catholic and City were protestant.

Nowadays the fans are split on a geographical basis, with south and west Manchester tending to support Utd, and north and east Manchester tending to support City - but mainly people support the team their dad supported etc.

United are undisputably the bigger and more successful club, and, as such, have inevitably attracted fans from outside of Manchester, who are attracted by their history, success, and tradition of exciting, attacking football.

In response, City and their fans claim to the the "real" Manchester football team - although there are actually 50% MORE United Fans living in the Manchester postcode than City fans.

The two sets of fans don't get on at all, increasingly fuelled by City fan's jealousy of United's remarkable success, both on and off the pitch, over the past 15 years.

Zzzzzz....
Reply 51
py0alb

Thankyou! :hugs:

The guy I know who likes City isn't a bitter person though, he's really nice (probably misguided then, haha).
Reply 52
areyoucool/symmetrical?
dont say go, say 'My cousins support them' or 'My cousins are united fans' - you will likely to get bludgeoned otherwise :yep:

and like everyone else has been saying, man utd are far better supported everywhere in the world except probs in manchester where there it is mostly of city fans

Lol I'm not that stupid! I won't mention it, but they don't go for them anyway. We live in Australia, hate to say it but we don't really care tbh but 'sort of' go for them if you know what I mean.
Reply 53
If you really don't understand the difference just say you don't support anyone and don't follow football. Although how you cannot know even the slightest difference between them I will never know.

One wins things and has a massive fan base and the other doesn't and has a relatively small fan base.

Might I just throw this out there for the 'glory hunter' abuse that people are giving. Back when Liverpool were succesful a lot of Norweigan 'glory hunters' started supporting us because of our 'star players' and they are still supporters now. Just because someone jumps on a bandwagon at first does not mean they do not truly support the team over time.
Reply 54
Man Utd are England's second most successful team, with glory hunting, prawn sandwich munching fans.

Man City are an average club with a local fanbase and a crap manager.

And you are a troll.
Well Manchester City and Manchester United are both football teams from the city of Manchester.

As a City fan I may sound a little biased in my description of the two but I will try not to be.

It's no secret that United have won more trophys and through this they have fans from Manchester and fans from all over the world. This leads to us joking them about not really being a Manchester team and accusing some of their fans of being gloryhounds and jumping on the bandwagon. In reality I have met and spoke to people who tell me they support United but when I try to have a discussion with them they don't really know what a real fan would know. To be fair though I would say they are the bandwagon jumpers who aren't fans at all but just say they are and they usually aren't from Manchester.

I wouldn't say fans don't get on at all, I have a lot of mates who are United fans and a lot of mates who are City fans, my family is also split to the point of my brother being a red and me being a blue. We obviously have the odd disagreements and little jabs at each other but nothing over the top.

I also wouldn't say City fans are jealous of United fans, I have heard the phrase bitter City but recently Alex Ferguson has sounded very bitter in interviews when asked about City or our manager, Mark Hughes. United fans also seem a little bitter that Tevez left them to come to us among other things.

At the end of the day I am a massive City fan and have been since I was born and had a City babygrow but I think to let football fuel real arguments and violence is stupid, a bit of banter is great but when it goes too far it's time to stop.

I'm not too sure about the South and West of Manchester supporting United and North and East of Manchester supporting City though. I am from South Manchester and am a City fan and I know a lot of others who are City fans from South Manchester, there's even a City pub and a bus from another pub that goes to the home matches that are in South Manchester. Two of the most famous City fans also come from South Manchester, Liam and Noel Gallagher.
Reply 56
Singh_2
Man Utd are England's second most successful team, with glory hunting, prawn sandwich munching fans.

Man City are an average club with a local fanbase and a crap manager.

And you are a troll.
I hear they may have a non-efficient manager at the momento, and no I am not a troll?
Reply 57
People who live in Manchester support City.
People who live outside of Manchester support United.

That's how it normally goes.
Reply 58
Kash:)
People who live in Manchester support City.
People who live outside of Manchester support United.

That's how it normally goes.

Funny how that's not actually true though isn't it?
Reply 59
Different clubs, so different history, players, staff, trophy room etc.

If you start giving guess-opinions on the two clubs or anything to do with them, you'll probably sound like an idiot.

If you must, keep it to:

"Rooney is very good"

"Tevez shows industry but is he really a prolific striker?"

And if you want to get a bit more sophisticated:

"I have no idea why Mark Hughes sold Dunne. Of all the original City players, Dunne and Ireland are/were important for the club, especially with the influx of new players coming in. You need that stability and the players who play for the club and not money or just to play in the Champions League with whoever, Lescott and Toure aren't a formidable defensive pairing like Lescott and Dunne could've been in my opinion."

"It would be a mistake to sack Hughes because City are still improving, he hasn't really done too much wrong and they've had good results this season. Remember when Spurs sacked Martin Jol or when Newcastle sacked Bobby Robson because of their expectations? Ramos could've got Spurs relegated and Newcastle are a joke and in the Championship. So much for the Champions League, eh?"

I think those are pretty safe.

Latest