The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Computing Workload at Imperial

Hi, I applied for computing at Imperial this year, I keep reading different post on TSR about the workload on this course. I have a few questions to ask:

1. Are the lectures really that boring as people say they are?

2. Is there really no social life if you choose to do this course?

3. How many hours of lectures are there in a week?

NOTE: Not a lazy person, just curious.
Reply 1
1. Some are, some aren't. See for yourself. Programming & Logic are awesome.

2. If you do JMC, this is true. I know a Computing student who went clubbing 7 out of 7 days one week ago (granted, he was 3rd year). What you make of it is up to you.

3. Not loads, like 15-20.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
jayshah31
1. Some are, some aren't. See for yourself. Programming & Logic are awesome.

2. If you do JMC, this is true. I know a Computing student who went clubbing 7 out of 7 days one week ago (granted, he was 3rd year). What you make of it is up to you.

3. Not loads, like 15-20.

thnks this helped a lot
Reply 3
You may be the only female on the course though! LOL.
Reply 4
DJB MASTER
You may be the only female on the course though! LOL.

doesn't bother me really, i grew up with 5 guys so i'm pretty used to hanging with boys, there will also be girls on other courses!!
Reply 5
Dibs_anim
Hi, I applied for computing at Imperial this year, I keep reading different post on TSR about the workload on this course. I have a few questions to ask:

1. Anything is boring if you're not interested in the subject material. Admittedly there are some lecturers who are more interesting than others.

2. It's your social life, it's what you make of it. You can stay in the library until 1am every dayof the week if you want, but you may have lost your dignity by the end of it.

3. I have 17 hours a week at the moment, including tutorials.
Reply 6
At the moment the first years have about 22 hours, counting only the compulsory subjects (and tutorials).
31 if you could optional stuff and the time allocated for you to work on your weekly assignments in the computer labs with helpers.
And +3 hours if you want to do a language (otherwise you do "Topics in AI" in your second term).

When it comes to the work load I have to say being at Imperial has suddenly turned me into one of those people who do their work as soon as they get it and hand it in as early as possible... I've always been the complete opposite.
If you organise your work well you can get yourself a few nights a week off without spoiling any grades, (at least in the first term, which is all I've experienced so far).

There aren't many lectures where their material is particularly dull, it's usually the lecturers. Some are amazing, some are boring and tedious.
Reply 7
Dibs_anim

1) Yes. Logic and programming in the first year are the only ones who arent... It goes downhil endlessly from there

2) Very true

3) Not many
Reply 8
I was rejected a few days ago so I guess it doesn't rilli matter!!