The Student Room Group

Didn't/Couldn't do my coursework

Hi guys,

basically whats happened is that we was set this programming coursework at University, and it was really hard. No one i really knew could do all of it properly and I was offered some code but I didn't want to risk plaigarism so I declined it and handed nothing in at all after the deadline.

I know that in the exam in going to have to work extra hard because the coursework was 20% and thats gone. Say if I didn't pass the exam in January, will the Summer re-take count as 100% exam if you get me?
Im aware it will be capped at 40%, but will that 40% be capped out of the remaining 80% or the module as a whole.
peteharris
Hi guys,

basically whats happened is that we was set this programming coursework at University, and it was really hard. No one i really knew could do all of it properly and I was offered some code but I didn't want to risk plaigarism so I declined it and handed nothing in at all after the deadline.

I know that in the exam in going to have to work extra hard because the coursework was 20% and thats gone. Say if I didn't pass the exam in January, will the Summer re-take count as 100% exam if you get me?
Im aware it will be capped at 40%, but will that 40% be capped out of the remaining 80% or the module as a whole.

The 40% capping is just the exam but with modules you have to get a certain amount in each (usually 35%) and 40% in the module overall so you will have to carry this module over into the following year. You cant just not do one piece of assessment and make it up with the other I am afraid unless you have compelling extenuating circumstances - which you dont. Which uni and faculty are you enrolled in?
Reply 2
The exam will be capped to 40% of that exam, as far as I'm aware. So if you got 100% in the exam, and your module was 80% for that exam and 20% coursework, you'd get 40% of 80%, so 32% overall. I hope that adds up :p:
Reply 3
Out of the remaining 80% - so the max you'd be able to get is 32% of the whole year, if that makes sense. If you don't pass the exam in Jan then you won't be able to pass the year. That said, a lot of places insist you pass every module to begin with anyway, so you may struggle even if you pass the exam. Go talk to your pastoral tutor now / as soon as you get back. If you just ignore this and hope it'll go away you're probably gonna end up in serious trouble, but if you work something out now you may be okay.
Reply 4
I'd check your coursebook or whatever you have that sets out progression requirements etc. as I'm fairly sure for my course the 40% cap is on the module, not the exam. If not it would be pointless offering retakes if you have less than 40% in the coursework.

Latest

Trending

Trending