Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Batman: Arkham City

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeineHeldenMehr)
    must admit that was the first thing running in my head, though i feel that they're going towards the jim lee's character/artistic approach.
    Yeah, i have seen a few comic versions that look a bit like that too. Hopefully rocksteady do the sensible thing and forget the Schumacher films where ever made. They seemed to do a pretty good job with Ivy in the last game. They did a better scarecrow then Nolan did, too thinking about it.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Untitled258)
    Yeah, i have seen a few comic versions that look a bit like that too. Hopefully rocksteady do the sensible thing and forget the Schumacher films where ever made. They seemed to do a pretty good job with Ivy in the last game. They did a better scarecrow then Nolan did, too thinking about it.
    More info, from the site Arkham City fan site I posted above, summarised (spoilers to the story):
    Spoiler:
    Show
    - Sharp took credit for getting the Joker situation under control
    - Sharp used that incident to help win the election
    - He then declares Blackgate and Arkham unfit
    - Sharp buys off a portion of the slums of Gotham
    - He walls off the area, calls it Arkham City
    - Sharp contracts a mercenary group named Tyger into defending the walls
    - Prisoners given one rule: “Don’t try to escape”
    - Penalty is death
    - Prisoners free to do anything besides that within
    - People who look into Hugo Strange disappear
    - A year has taken place
    - Two-Face is admitted into Arkham City
    - Two-Face realizes he needs to make a move to assert himself in the prison so that he won’t be eaten alive
    - He captures Catwoman, thinking that a public execution would help out his situation
    - Devs. want a highly detailed city
    - Can use gadgets while fighting
    - Example of this: Putting explosive gel on the back of an enemy
    - A lot of the super villains have formed gangs, have control of different areas in the city
    - Devs hoping to use more of the “forensics” angle from the first title, incorporate puzzles in them that will get more complex as you progress
    - Most of the key gadgets unlocked late in the original are immediately available, but it seems it hasn’t been confirmed that all of them will
    - Explosive gel, line launcher confirmed to be available by default
    - Interrogations instead of Riddler maps now
    - Press a button and Batman will taunt enemies
    - Optional sidestories for some characters, including Zsasz
    - New costume for Harley
    - Broadcast analyzer: Mainly used so that Batman can listen to a message from the Joker
    - There are several broadcasts Bats can listen to, including the GCPD dispatch and Gotham FM
    - Orcacle is missing
    - Because of this, Alfred is the one in Bruce’s ear
    - Rocksteady not talking about multiplayer plans yet

It seems as though it may be more free roam than the last, sandbox style maybe, with the inclusion of side missions with other characters, and gangs holding control over different areas.
    I am looking forward to this more every day!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ooo, this thread has got me very excited!

The first game was so immaculate...
    I just hope the art direction's all there.

I hope it doesn't become too sandbox freeroam, if you know what I mean. I'd rather it was Batman, as opposed to gothic Crackdown...
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mo-Amin)
    Ooo, this thread has got me very excited!

The first game was so immaculate...
    I just hope the art direction's all there.

I hope it doesn't become too sandbox freeroam, if you know what I mean. I'd rather it was Batman, as opposed to gothic Crackdown...
    Need to with hold the excitement for another year or so yet

The devs put a lot of work into the art of the first, and were disappointed at the number of people who relied so much on the detective mode, missing most of the surroundings. They've said they want to do something about the use of detective mode to prevent this, and want to make the city very detailed. Judging by the blueprints, it looks like we'll still be seeing at least some of the original asylum, so I think the direction will be very much the same else the city won't fit with the asylum.

I'd like to think the free roaming will be something like riddler style challenges on a larger scale, but the bit about gangs of villains controlling areas of the city could suggest otherwise.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    Need to with hold the excitement for another year or so yet

The devs put a lot of work into the art of the first, and were disappointed at the number of people who relied so much on the detective mode, missing most of the surroundings. They've said they want to do something about the use of detective mode to prevent this, and want to make the city very detailed. Judging by the blueprints, it looks like we'll still be seeing at least some of the original asylum, so I think the direction will be very much the same else the city won't fit with the asylum.

I'd like to think the free roaming will be something like riddler style challenges on a larger scale, but the bit about gangs of villains controlling areas of the city could suggest otherwise.
    Aye.... but it'll all be worthwhile, I think =]

ahh, well that can only be a good thing, surely? Maybe the use of detective mode would be limited, by maybe a time limit or Action Points or something - batteries?! :p:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mo-Amin)
    Aye.... but it'll all be worthwhile, I think =]

ahh, well that can only be a good thing, surely? Maybe the use of detective mode would be limited, by maybe a time limit or Action Points or something - batteries?! :p:
    Battery was exactly my first thought, lasting a certain period of time and then having to recharge.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i just want a bat-wing, bat-mobile to ride in.

and maybe harley not looking too butch. and oh HUSH!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeineHeldenMehr)
    i just want a bat-wing, bat-mobile to ride in.

and maybe harley not looking too butch. and oh HUSH!
    Harley does not look butch in the game :eek:

Its sounding good tbh, i cant wait. Though, one of the good things about the last game is it was fairly linier, and going more open world might riun it a bit. Im not sure. Its ages untill its out though, Q32011?

I do think having a Batmobile and Batwing to ride around in might riun it too, id rather them focus on the rest of it instead of adding to much.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    More info, from the site Arkham City fan site I posted above, summarised (spoilers to the story):
    Spoiler:
    Show
    - Sharp took credit for getting the Joker situation under control
    - Sharp used that incident to help win the election
    - He then declares Blackgate and Arkham unfit
    - Sharp buys off a portion of the slums of Gotham
    - He walls off the area, calls it Arkham City
    - Sharp contracts a mercenary group named Tyger into defending the walls
    - Prisoners given one rule: “Don’t try to escape”
    - Penalty is death
    - Prisoners free to do anything besides that within
    - People who look into Hugo Strange disappear
    - A year has taken place
    - Two-Face is admitted into Arkham City
    - Two-Face realizes he needs to make a move to assert himself in the prison so that he won’t be eaten alive
    - He captures Catwoman, thinking that a public execution would help out his situation
    - Devs. want a highly detailed city
    - Can use gadgets while fighting
    - Example of this: Putting explosive gel on the back of an enemy
    - A lot of the super villains have formed gangs, have control of different areas in the city
    - Devs hoping to use more of the “forensics” angle from the first title, incorporate puzzles in them that will get more complex as you progress
    - Most of the key gadgets unlocked late in the original are immediately available, but it seems it hasn’t been confirmed that all of them will
    - Explosive gel, line launcher confirmed to be available by default
    - Interrogations instead of Riddler maps now
    - Press a button and Batman will taunt enemies
    - Optional sidestories for some characters, including Zsasz
    - New costume for Harley
    - Broadcast analyzer: Mainly used so that Batman can listen to a message from the Joker
    - There are several broadcasts Bats can listen to, including the GCPD dispatch and Gotham FM
    - Orcacle is missing
    - Because of this, Alfred is the one in Bruce’s ear
    - Rocksteady not talking about multiplayer plans yet

It seems as though it may be more free roam than the last, sandbox style maybe, with the inclusion of side missions with other characters, and gangs holding control over different areas.
    I am looking forward to this more every day!
    When they say TwoFace is admitted doe that mean he is moved from the Asylum? one of the Riddlers challenges is finding twofaces cell if i remember rightly.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Untitled258)
    When they say TwoFace is admitted doe that mean he is moved from the Asylum? one of the Riddlers challenges is finding twofaces cell if i remember rightly.
    Just did a quick search as I couldn't recall exactly
    In Arkham Asylum, you’ll discover two rooms plastered with “Vote Dent” posters and buttons. One is a cell, which could belong to Two-Face (though the audio at the end of the game confirms he’s since escaped). The other, however, is a guard room. Do the employees here have a twisted sense of humor? Or is Harvey Dent’s election and subsequent downfall still a recent event in this universe? We may find out in a sequel.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This game has me excited for sure.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some new screens:
    http://kotaku.com/5660850/a-closer-l...an-arkham-city
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Awhh man they look awesome!
    The artwork in this game series really is quality =]
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the city is going to be split off into sections that are controlled by various supervillains, like two faces section and jokers, as well as penguin.

You'll be able to use weapons in combat now, like spray explosive gel on an enemy during freeflow then blow him up. Batman also gets a new toy to pick up radio signals from Gotham and the police as well as to hear for announcements from the joker.

Riddler trophies are gone but they're replaced by interrogation which sounds ******* awesome! You can counter more than one enemy at once in combat as well.

The only down side is that stealth is sidelined quite a bit in this game which is a real shame, and apparently they're focusing on detective mode which may in fact take a lot out of the gameplay. They have until March to fix it all anyway.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderlust.xx)
    Apparently the city is going to be split off into sections that are controlled by various supervillains, like two faces section and jokers, as well as penguin.

You'll be able to use weapons in combat now, like spray explosive gel on an enemy during freeflow then blow him up. Batman also gets a new toy to pick up radio signals from Gotham and the police as well as to hear for announcements from the joker.

Riddler trophies are gone but they're replaced by interrogation which sounds ******* awesome! You can counter more than one enemy at once in combat as well.

The only down side is that stealth is sidelined quite a bit in this game which is a real shame, and apparently they're focusing on detective mode which may in fact take a lot out of the gameplay. They have until March to fix it all anyway.
    Any chance you could provide a source, I have read things similar, but you talk about them as though it is all 100% confirmed. Not that I think it's all ********, it's just nice to know where the infos coming from.
    One reason I do question it is for detective mode. From what I read before, they were disappointed by how some people just constantly used it, missing out on a lot of the environment, and they wanted to do something to prevent that. Giving it some sort of timer, possibly where it then needs to recharge, would be one possibility. Or somehow better integrating the full environment into it, but that couldn't really work with the sonar system.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any chance you could provide a source, I have read things similar, but you talk about them as though it is all 100% confirmed. Not that I think it's all ********, it's just nice to know where the infos coming from.
    One reason I do question it is for detective mode. From what I read before, they were disappointed by how some people just constantly used it, missing out on a lot of the environment, and they wanted to do something to prevent that. Giving it some sort of timer, possibly where it then needs to recharge, would be one possibility. Or somehow better integrating the full environment into it, but that couldn't really work with the sonar system.
    I can't remember exactly where I heard all of it from; but I remember thinking it was a pretty reliable source (this was some time ago). Rocksteady still don't want to reveal anything about multiplayer though.

TBH I think detective mode would be better if you could see the environment but still get the perks of the mode, although then you'd probably wonder why you'd ever want to go out of it... but I dunno.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's so annoying it doesn't come out for another year :rant:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with what hobo06 said, they were extremely disappointed with people rinsing detective mode... So I don't think they'll let that happen again.

Yeahh the interrogations do sound fricken sweet, bit gutted about no Riddler trophies though. Well not really, as long as they don't cut Riddler out much, that guy's awesome...
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    A new teaser trailer: http://kotaku.com/5709212/who-is-hun...in-arkham-city
    With new footage expected at the Spike TV Video Game awards
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    A new teaser trailer: http://kotaku.com/5709212/who-is-hun...in-arkham-city
    With new footage expected at the Spike TV Video Game awards
    The temptation to preorder

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 3, 2013
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.