The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Secret Societies in the UK - Reality or Myth?

I am sure we all heard about the American Secret University Societies which emerged at the beggining of the 20th centuries such as the Skulls and Bones (US President Bush was a member!!), the Apostles, Eucleian Society or even the Order of Chaos. Now my question to you is: Are there any secret societies in the UK? Have there ever been any? What is your opinion on secret societies?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know about 'secret societies' per se, but the UK has a long history of freemasonry.

My grandfather was one and never spoke about it. It was all a bit weird if you ask me.
I would imagine there'll be something, somewhere.
Reply 3
The Gentleman
I am sure we all heard about the American Secret University Societies which emerged at the beggining of the 20th centuries such as the Skulls and Bones (US President Bush was a member!!), the Apostles, Eucleian Society or even the Order of Chaos. Now my question to you is: Are there any secret societies in the UK? Have there ever been any? What is your opinion on secret societies?

Of course there are societies we don't know about. Me and my cat could be the "order of the mousehunters" for all you know, would that count?

More interestingly is whether these 'secret societies' hold any true power. Certainly, there is a long line of powerful people coming out of the Skull and Bones society. I imagine most of the ancient unis in the UK have "elite" societies which aspire to a similar thing.
Reply 4
M_E_X
Of course there are societies we don't know about. Me and my cat could be the "order of the mousehunters" for all you know, would that count?

More interestingly is whether these 'secret societies' hold any true power. Certainly, there is a long line of powerful people coming out of the Skull and Bones society. I imagine most of the ancient unis in the UK have "elite" societies which aspire to a similar thing.

:rofl:
Reply 5
Well, you know what americans are like - they tend to be quite loud and speak their minds. As a member of one of the societies you would probably class as "secret", I can tell you we do exist, we just don't tell anyone.
Reply 6
Its like that tv thing that came on - trinity lool
Reply 7
Careful, i think Chocoholic´s coming to demand proof of these crazy conspiracy theories (Sorry choci, couldn´t resist).

If you want wierd - watch Alex Jones video where they infiltrate the Bohemian Grove !!
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-82095917705734983&ei=OUgmS4C9G9ef-Aai4pjjAw&q=alex+jones+bohemian+grove&hl=en#
What do you think we pay £3.99 a month for? Only way to find out what goes on behind closed doors is to sub :wink:

(srsly tho, yes secret societies do exist.. but they're secret)
Reply 9
The Secret Society of Vegans! http://www.secretsocietyofvegans.co.uk/

Conspiracy!!
Reply 10
The Working Chavs Society......it is so secretive that nobody has witnessed any of its members on the job yet.
Reply 11
M_E_X

If they do hold any real power, i wonder how they work. It is said that Oxford has a secret society and so does Cambridge, i don't know what they're called though.

By the way, secret societies are illegal in the UK. Why? Because they are in breach of the Unlawful Oaths Act:

-Any person who
(a) administers, or is present at and consents to the administering of, any oath or engagement in the nature of an oath, purporting to bind the person who takes it to …… obey the orders or commands of any committee or body of men not lawfully constituted, or of any leader or commander or other person not having authority by law for that purpose…….
or
(b) takes any such oath or engagement, not being compelled to do so,
- shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction upon indictment to imprisonment for 7 years.
Reply 12
I've only heard of Freemasons.

That's all very odd.
yep..the illuminati is the society that holds them together..
they are responsible for the attrocities we see such as 7/7 and 911..they blame them on some islamic groups, which they help to fund and then proceed to pass laws that take away more and more of our civil liberties telling us "it's for our safety"..
911 paved the way to sign US Patriots Act and invasion of Iraq (to restore order or to ensure oil continued to be traded in dollars?)
7/7 gave Blair more support to keep troops in Iraq..These guys are all part of a conspiracy and they claim to be Christians..truth is, they are working for the devil
Reply 14
JesusisLord
they are responsible for the attrocities we see such as 7/7 and 911..they blame them on some islamic groups, which they help to fund and then proceed to pass laws that take away more and more of our civil liberties telling us "it's for our safety"..
911 paved the way to sign US Patriots Act and invasion of Iraq (to restore order or to ensure oil continued to be traded in dollars?)
7/7 gave Blair more support to keep troops in Iraq..These guys are all part of a conspiracy and they claim to be Christians..truth is, they are working for the devil

Funnily enough I've actually heard about that, but cannot think where or from who...

:holmes:
Reply 15
JesusisLord

:facepalm2:

So if was to tell you that I am taking 50 points from Hufflepuff for being a fool you would call me a Devil worshiper. Well no cruciatus curse for me.
Reply 16
well if they are secret, how would you know/find out about them?
Reply 17
aliluvschoc
I've only heard of Freemasons.

That's all very odd.

Freemasons and Illuminati are not Secret University Societies. While the Freemasons really existed and are still around today, the Illuminati do not exist anymore. It is said that the most powerful society today which isn't a Secret University Society but rather a Fraternity, is the Ancient Mystical Order Rosae Crucis. They are also known as Rose-Croix.
JesusisLord

:lol:
Reply 19
Quite a few peeps have apparently done a lot of research into this stuff including royal bloodlines and all kinds of stuff I´d only get slated for mentioning.
Look up, Alex Jones, David Icke, Aaron Russo videos for more info.

Latest

Trending

Trending