The Student Room Group

Why don't people spell or use grammar properly?

Excluding people with dyslexia, of course. And excluding genuine typing mistakes.

So many people misspell (and use in wrong context) your/you're, there/their/they're, to/too/two, and the stupidest one- then/than.
When you get to a certain age, how can you not know the differences between these spellings?

And when people point it out, they get abused like "Omg you're such a loser!! I don't care if I'm spelling it the wrong way, **** off."

I'm not talking about when people use slang like: "Ppl tlk lyk dis an dat enit, u knw wht I mean, yh? Or dey jus use da occasional abbreviation lyk 'ur'."
I mean like proper sentences where all the words are spelt correctly, but if you just use 'your' when it should be 'you're' or vice versa... Why?? They get so annoyed and call people who do spell correctly losers/sad for caring, but the differences in the English language are there for a reason, right? :s-smilie:

I don't point mistakes out (unless it's in someone's essay and I want to help them) but it does really annoy me to see those mistakes. Does anyone else find it annoying, or do you think I'm a loser too? :rolleyes:

I was just thinking about it because I see all these Facebook groups/pages with spelling errors in the titles.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
miss_p
Excluding people with dyslexia, of course. And excluding genuine typing mistakes.

So many people misspell (and use in wrong context) your/you're, there/their/they're, to/too/two, and the stupidest one- then/than.
When you get to a certain age, how can you not know the differences between these spellings?

And when people point it out, they get abused like "Omg you're such a loser!! I don't care if I'm spelling it the wrong way, **** off."

I'm not talking about when people use slang like: "Ppl tlk lyk dis an dat enit, u knw wht I mean, yh? Or dey jus use da occasional abbreviation lyk 'ur'."
I mean like proper sentences where all the words are spelt correctly, but if you just use 'your' when it should be 'you're' or vice versa... Why?? They get so annoyed and call people who do spell correctly losers/sad for caring, but the differences in the English language are there for a reason, right? :s-smilie:

I don't point mistakes out (unless it's in someone's essay and I want to help them) but it does really annoy me to see those mistakes. Does anyone else find it annoying, or do you think I'm a loser too? :rolleyes:

Was just thinking about it because I see all these Facebook groups/pages with spelling errors in the titles...

This especially annoys the HELL out of me!!!
So true OP, but you know you're going to get flamed for this lol!
Reply 2
reli i neva cn dat innit
Reply 3
w04andia
This especially annoys the HELL out of me!!!
So true OP, but you know you're going to get flamed for this lol!

I know :frown: lol
miss_p

Was just thinking about it because I see all these Facebook groups/pages with spelling errors in the titles...

Says the person who used two question marks on one sentence in the thread title. :awesome:
Reply 5
Its a forum who cares about spelling
Reply 6
Not to be pedantic but using two question marks in a row is a grammatical mistake, so that's a little contradictory.
Reply 7
I'm not that great at spelling some thing...usually I try to use an alternative word (too lazy to look it up in a dictionary, even an online one)
Sometimes I can't be bothered to use correct grammar like capital letters/full stops
I do try though.
Why is it important? The word "gay" never used to mean homosexual, now it does. Language changes.
somethingbeautiful
Says the person who used two question marks on one sentence in the thread title. :awesome:

Beat me to it :mad:
rockrunride
Why is it important? The word "gay" never used to mean homosexual, now it does. Language changes.

Some people like to preserve language.
near_comatose
Some people like to preserve language.

It's futile. Language has been changing for millennia, what makes people think they can stop it now?
Reply 12
Ok, sorry for the extra question mark in the title! I guess I was extra confused.
Reply 13
miss_p

(I) Was just thinking about it because I see all these Facebook groups/pages with spelling errors in the titles...

:smile:
Reply 14
'??' - Oh, the irony.
Two question marks at the end of your sentence.

You have failed, OP.
Reply 16
Aw man :frown: SORRY! But ignore my mistakes for now. How about answering my question? :smile:
It is best to preserve it and to regulate it because sometimes a simple spelling mistake or grammatical error will make a sentance seem almost incomprehendable. It also makes you look stupid and lazy. We can't keep dumbing things down because eventually we will forget how to use our brains.
Oh get over it. Two question marks is hardly the end of the world. I agree with the OP though. What is wrong with getting simple grammar and spelling correct? 'Little' mistakes like this can cause serious errors.
Reply 19
Ok, edited now :smile:

Why do most people just get so annoyed when their mistakes are pointed out? Why can't they just correct them instead of being rude? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending