The Student Room Group

Why don't people spell or use grammar properly?

Scroll to see replies

It annoys me too, but then it's gotten worse because of the nature of my job (translating and proofreading). I have to pay so much attention to it at work it's become quite a habit for me to spot mistakes easily and get annoyed, but I don't like to correct on the internet because I know how sensitive people can be. Lately it's this "wandering" thing that's bothering me. Where the hell did that come from?!
james.h

Plus, some words are just :awesome:: 'paniety', for instance. :yep:

What does that mean? :confused:
Reply 82
FormerlyHistoryStudent
What does that mean? :confused:

This is what dictionaries are for. :yep: :p:

Edit: It was a typo. Brilliant. :biggrin: 'paneity': the state of being bread.
james.h
This is what dictionaries are for. :yep: :p:

Edit: It was a typo. Brilliant. :biggrin: 'paneity': the state of being bread.

:lol: :biggrin:
Reply 84
musicforsanity
I cannot stand bad spelling and really obvious bad grammar. It's extremley unnecessary.

really? are you dumb or just plain stupid.

even the damn edit you can't get right when I told you the correct spelling?

it's e x t r e m e l y

no gaps.

and this is why people get the hump cos you come across as a bit of a prick

and you deserve this raping from me.
Adonis

it's e x t r e m e l y

no gaps.

Really pathetic that this is how you get your yah-yahs.
This is clearly just descending into post-trolling/spamming. Turrah.
Reply 86
miss_p
Excluding people with dyslexia, of course. And excluding genuine typing mistakes.

So many people misspell (and use in wrong context) your/you're, there/their/they're, to/too/two, and the stupidest one- then/than.
When you get to a certain age, how can you not know the differences between these spellings?

And when people point it out, they get abused like "Omg you're such a loser!! I don't care if I'm spelling it the wrong way, **** off."

I'm not talking about when people use slang like: "Ppl tlk lyk dis an dat enit, u knw wht I mean, yh? Or dey jus use da occasional abbreviation lyk 'ur'."
I mean like proper sentences where all the words are spelt correctly, but if you just use 'your' when it should be 'you're' or vice versa... Why?? They get so annoyed and call people who do spell correctly losers/sad for caring, but the differences in the English language are there for a reason, right? :s-smilie:

I don't point mistakes out (unless it's in someone's essay and I want to help them) but it does really annoy me to see those mistakes. Does anyone else find it annoying, or do you think I'm a loser too? :rolleyes:

I was just thinking about it because I see all these Facebook groups/pages with spelling errors in the titles.

You do realise this is non-standard?
Reply 87
musicforsanity
Really pathetic that this is how you get your yah-yahs.
This is clearly just descending into post-trolling/spamming. Turrah.

I was just clearly pointing our your own errors?

Do you not like the same being done to you?
Adonis

it's e x t r e m e l y

no gaps.

That was actually pretty retarded of her tbf. Claiming she knew how to spell it but in fact she didn't and it wasn't a typo.
Adonis
I was just clearly pointing our your own errors?

Do you not like the same being done to you?

Wow it's actually called irony (I'll admit I made the typo to begin with, but the second time, do you honestly believe I made the same mistake twice? By accident?).
But hey you responded as the majority do. Thanks for participating *ding-ding* tell him what he's won Bob.

EDIT: Oh yes, and the word has now been fully restored to it's correct form you will be pleased to know. I know I am.
Kolya
as i said above, it is not obvious that your comment is one that has any worth beyond being a simple observation of whimsical custom. for example, text of, say, size 14 is preferable to text of size 6 because for most humans the latter is easier to comprehend than the latter due to physical restrictions. in the case of capital letters, if all publishers were to switch to using lower-case letters then it seems reasonable to suggest that everyone would simply adapt to the change; there would be no loss in understanding, or increase in the difficulty of understanding, due to the change. given that dropping capital letters makes the language easier to type and learn, the only thing preventing the improvement is conservatism, custom and tradition. the question is: does the continuation of the custom, and the familiarity with the custom of many readers, justify the slower typing (and learning) of the language? it's not clear how one should respond to that question.

that's just a comment on your perception of the type of people who would write using the two different styles -- it has nothing to do with the maturity of the content of the text.

I don't think it's a case of whether people adapt or not. People adapt to anything because that's all they can do. Language is a tool to aid in communicating with other people. With this in mind, how would you resolve the conflicting meanings of 'mark' and 'Mark'? What about 'misses' and 'Misses'?
near_comatose
Oh has it? Surely only slang has changed, and of course words for technical language have fallen out of use and been created. I'm not talking about stopping new words entering mainstream use, I'd welcome that and realise that it does, and will continue to happen. I'm talking about when people butcher the spelling of words, which is something that is standardised (unlike the other two things). I'm not saying that it is unstoppable, but it's certainly much more suppressible than in the past.

Still though, the point is getting across. I think people are being too petty whilst there are much bigger things to whine about in the world.
Jonty99
Well, if there's no "rules" governing language, then what will be the accepted norm?

Consensus, which will change over time.
''Ma'' instead of ''my''
really irritates me.
Reply 94
miss_p
Excluding people with dyslexia, of course. And excluding genuine typing mistakes.

So many people misspell (and use in wrong context) your/you're, there/their/they're, to/too/two, and the stupidest one- then/than.
When you get to a certain age, how can you not know the differences between these spellings?

And when people point it out, they get abused like "Omg you're such a loser!! I don't care if I'm spelling it the wrong way, **** off."

I'm not talking about when people use slang like: "Ppl tlk lyk dis an dat enit, u knw wht I mean, yh? Or dey jus use da occasional abbreviation lyk 'ur'."
I mean like proper sentences where all the words are spelt correctly, but if you just use 'your' when it should be 'you're' or vice versa... Why?? They get so annoyed and call people who do spell correctly losers/sad for caring, but the differences in the English language are there for a reason, right? :s-smilie:

I don't point mistakes out (unless it's in someone's essay and I want to help them) but it does really annoy me to see those mistakes. Does anyone else find it annoying, or do you think I'm a loser too? :rolleyes:

I was just thinking about it because I see all these Facebook groups/pages with spelling errors in the titles.

Some people just aren't or weren't educated in the importance of language and proper grammar.
rockrunride
Still though, the point is getting across. I think people are being too petty whilst there are much bigger things to whine about in the world.

A little hypocrisy in that post?
miss_p
Aw man :frown: SORRY! But ignore my mistakes for now. How about answering my question? :smile:

LOL. You, OP, are full of ****.
Because they are lazy or forget how to use grammar sometimes like me :smile:
Reply 98

I recently learned about your/you're, but cut me some slack, English is my 2nd language and I've only got 5 years of English under my belt. Its perfect now though.
miss_p

This one really annoys me to hell. I don't know how people can get that mixed up.

Quick Reply

Latest