The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
adamrules247
Stoning's going a bit far, shooting would have been more appropriate. I have no sympathy for the two men, they shouldn't have been playing around.

then you truly are a complete ****
unikq
i agree with adamrules.
people who cheat are up there as the worst people in the world, along with murderers and rapists.
**** them, i don't care how the **** they died, the world's rid of those scum, made an example of them.

i'm sick of the ******* liberals

I think you're scum and are up on the list as the worst people in the world; what right does that give me to stone you?

It's not about making an example of individuals, it's not about being liberal. In the case of Mohamed Abukar Ibrahim, he was a victim of a group of thuggish individuals who saw their authority as one higher than the state.

Besides, from what I understand, the acts were consensual, thus, the state should have no say in what the individuals do behind close doors. The Laws of a nation should protect the state, not to oppress individuals to the point you can't show your face or even leave the house.
Reply 42
diskohuelga
******* hate people like this. My mother was just watching it downstairs and the fact that they'll air something like this just goes to show how backward these people are.

Well, in a country where they still blame illness on demonic posession and hang pigs for witchcraft so you can't expect much more.
WhereIsMyMind
Needless to say, I'm sure if a relative of yours was in that situation, you wouldn't be, 'it's the law'.

Well generally in the case of relatives, people's first priority is to protect them, rather than uphold the law.

You could say that about anything really. You might be glad that a burglar ges to prison, but I could easily come along and say "If that was you relative, you wouldn't want him to go to prison".

If you're living in a country with harsh punishments for certain crimes, you'd do well to not commit those crimes.

Whether those crimes should have such harsh punishments is another issue altogether. But then again, most of us in the UK don't agree with the death penalty. But you don't get a Daily Mail article every time someone in the US is executed. There are always going to be punishments taking place in the world which are not in line with British law.
In any case, I'd personally say that adultery should have some legal consequences - it is a breach of a legal contract after all.
Reply 44
unikq
i agree with adamrules.
people who cheat are up there as the worst people in the world, along with murderers and rapists.
**** them, i don't care how the **** they died, the world's rid of those scum, made an example of them.

i'm sick of the ******* liberals

I see the wackos are really out in force on this thread.
Reply 45
Z_Ahmed
Favouring capital punishment has nothing to do with dignity or human respect.

Actually, the death penalty has a lot to do with human life and dignity.

Z_Ahmed
stop putting capital punishment in the same boat as murder. May seem the same but are carried out in different ways.

An act doesn't automatically become acceptable simply because it is performed by the State.

Z_Ahmed
If their law clearly states no engagement of sexual nature in their land then so be it, the occupants must abide since it's their law and their rules , Otherwise there are consequences.

So you would not complain if the State of Israel passes a law tomorrow stating that anyone in its jurisdiction who converts to Islam must be immediately executed, yes? If not, why not?
Reply 46
WhereIsMyMind
I accept, and appreciate that. But I think even you need to accept the consequences are barbaric! I agree, the law is the law. But in any case, the law should serve the sole purpose of protecting the nation and it's populace. In the case with Mohamed Abukar Ibrahim, (assuming so), it was done in a private place with consenting individuals. I see NO NEED for the intervention of the state, let alone such a barbaric consequence.

Needless to say, I'm sure if a relative of yours was in that situation, you wouldn't be, 'it's the law'.

I still don't see how you can defend his act of betraying his wife for another woman. It was a clear mistake and understandably in order to prevent this kind of behaviour again, the state has set laws and regulations. Despite how "barbaric" they seem.

I know where your coming from, living in a liberal state like UK we cannot understand fully their situation. Two different idealogies, I'm assuming they criticise the western countries laws just like your criticising theirs.

If it WAS a relative of mine, I would be disgusted and again I would not decline the concept of capital punishment. This will defy equality if I won't allow my relative to be punished.
tazarooni89
Well generally in the case of relatives, people's first priority is to protect them, rather than uphold the law.

You could say that about anything really. You might be glad that a burglar ges to prison, but I could easily come along and say "If that was you relative, you wouldn't want him to go to prison".

I personally say - if you're living in a country with harsh punishments for certain crimes, you'd do well to not commit those crimes.

Whether those crimes should have such harsh punishments is another issue altogether. But then again, most of us in the UK don't agree with the death penalty. But you don't get a Daily Mail article every time someone in the US is executed.

In the example you've used, the offence is not consensual. You don't agree to be burgled and thus, I agree, the individual should get what it is that's coming to them. However, when you've got two adults, on a consensual basis getting up to a bit of a 'hanky-panky', what need is there for intervention of an external party/force?

It's worth remembering Somalia's political position, and the nature of this 'group'. It's unelected and as such unaccountable for any of their actions, it does what it wants, when it wants. It's anarchy as we know it.
Reply 48
unikq

That is your idiotic opinion. I think the vast majority of people in the world would much rather live next to someone who has cheated on his or her partner than someone who has raped or murdered another human being.
Reply 49
Howard
How can you talk about "the law" in a country which has been without government for close to two decades?

Because government =/= law? :dontknow:

There has been no State control but courthouses still survived, passed judgements and convicts were still punished.

Might be highly flawed in our eyes but it is still a functioning legal framework.
Reply 50
Tuning
Actually, the death penalty has a lot to do with human life and dignity.

An act doesn't automatically become acceptable simply because it is performed by the State.

So you would not complain if the State of Israel passes a law tomorrow stating that anyone in its jurisdiction who converts to Islam must be immediately executed, yes? If not, why not?

Why would I complain? Passing this law will actually create hatred for the Israelies by the Muslim states. Also there would be extreme potential for civil war breaking out since 16% ( though still a minority) are Muslims.
Reply 51
Z_Ahmed
I still don't see how you can defend his act of betraying his wife for another woman.

No one here is defending those who cheat on their partners. We simply do not agree that the death penalty is an appropriate punishment.
Z_Ahmed
I still don't see how you can defend his act of betraying his wife for another woman. It was a clear mistake and understandably in order to prevent this kind of behaviour again, the state has set laws and regulations. Despite how "barbaric" they seem.

I know where your coming from, living in a liberal state like UK we cannot understand fully their situation. Two different idealogies, I'm assuming they criticise the western countries laws just like your criticising theirs.

If it WAS a relative of mine, I would be disgusted and again I would not decline the concept of capital punishment. This will defy equality if I won't allow my relative to be punished.

I'm not defending his actions. He betrayed his wife, there is no denying that. However, I still firmly believe there is no need for state or any other external force's intervention in such matters. If the wife is not happy, she should apply for divorce etc. It's not for the unelected, unaccountable and unrepresentative groups to decide the fate of individuals who participate in acts that have little or no effect on the populace as a whole.
Tuning
No one here is defending those who cheat on their partners. We simply do not agree that the death penalty is an appropriate punishment.

:ditto:
Reply 54
Tuning

Then what is an appropriate punishment?
Reply 55
DJkG.1
Because government =/= law? :dontknow:

There has been no State control but courthouses still survived, passed judgements and convicts were still punished.

Might be highly flawed in our eyes but it is still a functioning legal framework.

So, under what jurisdiction are these courthouse operating?
Z_Ahmed

Dissolution of Marriage?

It works elsewhere.. :yep:
Reply 57
Z_Ahmed

How about none whatsoever?
Right, atleast they're applying this equally instead of restricting it to just women.
Reply 59
Z_Ahmed
Passing this law will actually create hatred for the Israelies by the Muslim states. Also there would be extreme potential for civil war breaking out since 16% ( though still a minority) are Muslims.

That is completely and utterly irrelevant.

You seem to suggest that those who violate a law have no right to complain, so the purpose of my question is to determine whether this applies to all laws. Therefore, if, for example, the Russian Federation passes a law forbidding its residents from practising Islam, would you condemn those who condemned this law in the same way that you are condemning those who condemn the Somalian law we are discussing in this thread?

Latest

Trending

Trending