The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

WhereIsMyMind
In the example you've used, the offence is not consensual. You don't agree to be burgled and thus, I agree, the individual should get what it is that's coming to them. However, when you've got two adults, on a consensual basis getting up to a bit of a 'hanky-panky', what need is there for intervention of an external party/force?

One might say that an adultery offence isn't consensual either. Presumably the man's wife didn't agree to be cheated on. He broke a contract, which is a punishable offence in Somalia (and usually in the UK as well...)

I think that in this case, there's still a need for intervention - although maybe if it were up to me, it wouldn't involve stoning.

In any case, regardless of what we think the punishment should be, the punishment is death by stoning. Committing adultery in Somalia is then hardly different to jumping on the tracks of an fast-approaching train. In an ideal world, maybe the person wouldn't end up dead - but it's still an ill advised thing to do...
Reply 61
Z_Ahmed
Then what is an appropriate punishment?

I agree with Howard: the State shouldn't intervene.
Reply 62
Somalia is such a mashed up place
Reply 63
Holy Madonna look at the size of those rocks!

People act like this is on Planet Mars. It is another country on Earth. It could theoretically happen here.
tazarooni89
One might say that an adultery offence isn't consensual either. Presumably the man's wife didn't agree to be cheated on. He broke a contract, which is a punishable offence in Somalia (and usually in the UK as well...)

I think that in this case, there's still a need for intervention - although maybe if it were up to me, it wouldn't involve stoning.

In any case, regardless of what we think the punishment should be, the punishment is death by stoning. Committing adultery in Somalia is then hardly different to jumping on the tracks of an fast-approaching train. In an ideal world, maybe the person wouldn't end up dead - but it's still an ill advised thing to do...

I don't see how the government or anyone else has the right to intervene? Government and it's intervention Gaunilo style should be that which protects the populace as a whole from the non-consensual acts of other members of the populace. In the case of the wife, she should be allowed to exercise her right in dissolving the marriage. Nothing more, nothing less. He broke a contract and thus, it's null and void.

In the case of the 'it's the law, it must be right', I take it you agree with the treatment of women in Saudi Arabia, homosexuals in Iran? Let's not forget human rights, (admittedly some individuals don't deserve them following the severity of their acts).
Reply 65
So glad I live in the UK.
Reply 66
While we are on the topic I must say that I think Islam is a particularly bizarre religion.

For example, I watched a video message by Rick Warren, an evangelical church leader in the US, where he voices his opposition to the Ugandan Anti-Homosexuality Bill. In the video he says that he thinks homosexual practice is a sin; however, he also says that he completely opposes earthly punishments against gay people. The reason for this is that he believes god has given us free will and people should be persuaded to follow in the path of Jesus, not forced. Islam, on the other hand, seems to adopt the opposite approach. It is not about persuading people to follow in the footsteps of Muhammad but forcing them e.g, the death penalty against adultery, banning alcohol and gambling and et cetera. It is v.odd.

I want my partner to remain loyal to me, not because he or she is afraid of being stoned to death, but because she loves me and wants to be with me. This is why I think Islam is particularly controversial - it doesn't simply go around knocking on doors and handling out leaflets like the Jehovah's Witnesses, it carries out public executions.
Reply 67
unikq
i agree with adamrules.
people who cheat are up there as the worst people in the world, along with murderers and rapists.
**** them, i don't care how the **** they died, the world's rid of those scum, made an example of them.

i'm sick of the ******* liberals

Heh, infidelity is as bad as murder. Only on TSR.
WhereIsMyMind
I don't see how the government or anyone else has the right to intervene? Government and it's intervention Gaunilo style should be that which protects the populace as a whole from the non-consensual acts of other members of the populace. In the case of the wife, she should be allowed to exercise her right in dissolving the marriage. Nothing more, nothing less. He broke a contract and thus, it's null and void.

The simple answer is that not everyone necessarily agrees with what you think the purpose of the law is.

My own personal opinion is that a woman has the right to dissolve the marriage even if she hasn't been cheated on. So if that's the only compensation she gets after being cheated on, it doesn't really amount to anything.

Suppose that a man wants the best of both worlds - to remain married, while also having extra-marital relations. So he does this, but simply doesn't let his wife find out. He's breaking a contract while the wife continues to think that the contract is still active. In a system where there adultery is perfectly legal, what deterrent is there for this type of action?

In the case of the 'it's the law, it must be right', I take it you agree with the treatment of women in Saudi Arabia, homosexuals in Iran? Let's not forget human rights, (admittedly some individuals don't deserve them following the severity of their acts).

Whether I agree with it or not is irrelevant. I'm not going to pretend to love every law in existence. My point is that if you know that a particular crime carries the death penalty, you'd do well to avoid it, rather than go and commit the crime, on the basis that "this particular law shouldn't exist anyway".
Oh, that's awful. It's crazy to think that this still happens in the world. It never really occurs to me until I read about something like this. How did they get photos? :confused:
Reply 70
snipex
Heh, infidelity is as bad as murder. Only on TSR.

Yes indeed. TSR is sometimes a Topsy Turvey place. A place where the bizarre is common place and insanity is normal. I sometimes wonder if some of the contributors to these threads aren't rocking backwards and forwards and eating their own faeces.
Reply 71
tiger woods must be thinking ... phew
Reply 72
truthandtragedy
Oh, that's awful. It's crazy to think that this still happens in the world. It never really occurs to me until I read about something like this. How did they get photos? :confused:

hello, do you live under a rock? this happens *all* the time in islamic goverened countries around the world, let alone the lawless ones. people need to wake up and stop being so ignorant of the dangers of religion. where do you draw the line of 'extremists'?

lets see, a typical middle eastern islamic country goverened by sharia law. lets take Saudi Arabia, from whom western countries happily turn a blind eye and tolerate their disgustingly uncivilised laws in return for a steady supply of oil (heres looking forward to a future of non reliance of oil and barbaric countries). From wikipedia, a few highlights:

"In accordance with the Qur'an and several hadith, theft is punished by imprisonment or amputation of hands or feet"

"In accordance with hadith, stoning to death is the penalty for married men and women who commit adultery" (as shown in this daily mail article. this happens in all islamic countries let alone the wild ones. there have been many cases of women being raped then tried and stoned to death for adultery. what.)

"Insulting Muhammad or blasphemy has also resulted in the death penalty." (hello freedom of speech? oh wait)

Also, you realise women were not allowed to drive cars until very recently? wtf.

"Many, including the European Court of Human Rights, consider the punishments prescribed by Sharia in some countries to be barbaric and cruel." and yet everyone is too afraid to speak out against it in fear of being branded a BNP fascist. I am not, but i do not tolerate barbaric breaches of human rights, which islam does in its purest form. wake up people.

"Due to the legal framework of the country, which does not provide legal protection for freedom of religion, the public practice of non-Muslim religions is prohibited"

how is that civilised? islam bans other religions in its own countries but is happy to try and force other, tolerant countries to follow its own ideals. not respect them - crush them and turn the world islamic. i cannot source but im pretty sure this is in the Qu'ran.

islamic laws also border on crazy:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Saudi-Arabia-Ali-Sibat-Sentenced-To-Death-For-Witchcraft-Over-TV-Predictions/Article/200911415466364

read this. they actually believe this guy is a WITCH - you know, casting spells etc, because he went on tv and made some predictions about what might happen in the future. WTF. this man is going to be EXECUTED for this! and the western world happily turns a blind eye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_Arabia

browse liveleak and similar and you'll find many videos of people being brutally beheaded, throats cut, and slowly dieing, while people stand around and chant 'allah akbar'. undoubtedly would have been the same while that poor man was stoned to death, and you think he got a fair trial? hell no.

tl;dr : islam is dangerous, this happens all the time, you shouldnt be surprised.

in before 'bnp fascist'. im happy to exchange more views, i'll be watching this thread.
Reply 73
It's their country, we have right sticking our nose in their business. The UK did that in Iraq and Afganistan, now look whats happening today. Let them sort their own mess out and look after your own country ffs!
tbh "brits", and i use the term loosely, supporting this sort of barbarianism is a clear danger sign of islamification.
cant really be denied.
Reply 75
ajtiesto
It's their country, we have right sticking our nose in their business.

No, there are certain human-rights standards that should be upheld regardless of cultural differences.
Reply 76
DJ AgnieszkaA
tbh "brits", and i use the term loosely, supporting this sort of barbarianism is a clear danger sign of islamification.
cant really be denied.

:rofl: First time I've heard of that one..!
Drinking
No, there are certain human-rights standards that should be upheld regardless of cultural differences.

:clap2:

(excuse the cheesy grin on the face of emoticon)
Reply 78
Drinking

agreed, but there's not point trying to argue with that guy, he's a moronic racist
"This is why I believe religion should be banned this is just legalized murder. I wouldn't treat a dog this way."

A comment on the subject. An interesting one, and one I partially agree with despite it being impossible without a hell of a lot of worldwide controversy.

But yes, religion = bad, well all know that anyway. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending