The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Irish inferiority complex

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
yawn
I see nothing romantic about pulling down your knickers and peeing in the gutter...or chucking up all over your nice shirt that started out clean before the demon drink got the better of you and led to you being unable to keep the contents on your stomach in your stomach rather than down your fronts...or having your tights laddered by some drunken guy's watch strap as he attempts to lift your dress and unzip his flies at the same time, all in full view of others who are peeing in gutters, vomiting on themselves and shagging complete strangers against shop windows or lamposts.

I think you're referring to duels fought by 'gentlemen' who were cold stone sober otherwise they tended to end up dead. And your referral to grandiose, beer-scented declaration of love is a predictable ploy to get inside that stranger's...ummm...can't think of a word to describe an area (on a public forum at least) that is devoid of knickers.

Give a stranger a dose of the clap...yeah, real romantic. :p:

You, madam, are a cynic.
Reply 61
Richarda
He doesn't understand that England was completely conquered by the French Normans in 1066 and has been ever since. Since 1066 to the present day, the 21st century, at every new parliament the Queen speaks in French Norman "La Reine le veult" "the Queen wishes it". This was implemented by William the conquerer to rub in the fact the english were conquered, and has remained ever since.
The English as defined in law to this very day are just "subjects" of the King/Queen, who's position was defined by their Norman conquerors.
It then took the Normans and their English slaves another 100 years to try and conqueror parts of Wales and Scotland and for the most part failed miserably despite outnumbering them by huge margins.

Apart from a laughable attempt to attack the English (which is rather a moot point, considering most countries have been invaded at some point in history, the Normans were originally Scandinavians who invaded France) you've done nothing to recover from your flawed claim regarding the Irish: "At lest they aren't a conquered people like the English."
Reply 62
Rich B*tch
Apart from a laughable attempt to attack the English (which is rather a moot point, considering most countries have been invaded at some point in history, the Normans were originally Scandinavians who invaded France) you've done nothing to recover from your flawed claim regarding the Irish: "At lest they aren't a conquered people like the English."

How is writing historical facts attacking the english. It's sad the english love attacking and insulting others but as soon as someone writes someting back, the english act like mulims minorities and start calling people racist. Pathetic.
The Normans spoke French, not Scandinavian. You've missed out 500 years. Or you can say the Normans were originally from Africa if you take your absurd point seriously.
Reply 63
Richarda
He doesn't understand that England was completely conquered by the French Normans in 1066 and has been ever since.

Well, conquest is an act, it's not an enduring situation. The Norman Conquest occured in 1066, it ended when one side was victorious.

This was implemented by William the conquerer to rub in the fact the english were conquered, and has remained ever since.

The Anglo-Saxon English, perhaps; William the Conquerer as of course English himself, just not Anglo-Saxon. Of course, the Anglo Saxons themselves were quite recent invaders, having buggered the Britons.

The English as defined in law to this very day are just "subjects" of the King/Queen, who's position was defined by their Norman conquerors.

The English are not defined in law.

It then took the Normans and their English slaves another 100 years to try and conqueror parts of Wales and Scotland and for the most part failed miserably despite outnumbering them by huge margins.

They didn't have to make an effort in Scotland, they were welcomed with open arms.

yawn
That wasn't an invasion.... The Norman 'invasion of Ireland', which wasn't an invasion in the true sense of the world

Hmm, I think you'll have to explain that one.

ultimately failed. The Normans were either repelled or integrated - like the Danes and Norwegians - into Irish society.

Integrated as a new ruling class, of course. Anyway, I hardly see cultural integration as a particular curiosity about Conquest. When the British entered into various foreign lands, they often integrated to some extent with the locals. Some truly went native.
Reply 64
L i b
You, madam, are a cynic.

Hahah...I'm interested in social anthropology and have an eye for detail! :wink:
Reply 65
NDGAARONDI
Don't the Irish consider themselves to be Celtic, and considerably moreso than Scotland, Wales and England?!?! So they can use minor differences, perhaps on false premise, to exaggerate between themselves and the rest. I don't know any famous 'Irish' Celts though.

I'm not sure that I would agree with your view that the Irish consider themselves to be Celtic.

Sure, some of them do and it is pretty apparent by their colouring that they do indeed have celtic blood in them. Generally, most Irish see themselves as Gaels, with many also acknowledging their ancestry from within continental Europe, particularly Spain. Maybe that's the clue to the preponderance of blue-eyed and black haired Irish...celtic eyes, Spanish colouring.

I don't subscribe to your claim that the Irish try to exaggerate their individualism any more than any other nation. That seems to be a little unfair and bigoted of you in my opinion...or maybe it's just that you don't express it very well and it comes across as having a 'little dig' for your own reasons. :s-smilie:
NDGAARONDI
Don't the Irish consider themselves to be Celtic, and considerably moreso than Scotland, Wales and England?!?! So they can use minor differences, perhaps on false premise, to exaggerate between themselves and the rest. I don't know any famous 'Irish' Celts though.

Michael Flatley :wink:
Reply 67
yawn
Generally, most Irish see themselves as Gaels, with many also acknowledging their ancestry from within continental Europe, particularly Spain.

Weren't the gaels a celtic tribe anyway? So if they see themselves as Gaelic that means they see themselves as celtic.
Reply 68
Psyk
Weren't the gaels a celtic tribe anyway? So if they see themselves as Gaelic that means they see themselves as celtic.

Well, the whole concept of Celticism is sometimes dismissed as a fairly modern invention. Traditionally Celtics were subcategorised: one set being the Irish Gaels, Manx etc; the other being the Ancient Britons (thus the modern Welsh, Cornish etc) and the Picts.

Still, trying to classify rather unprecise cultural and ethnic groupings is never simple.
yawn
I'm not sure that I would agree with your view that the Irish consider themselves to be Celtic.

Sure, some of them do and it is pretty apparent by their colouring that they do indeed have celtic blood in them. Generally, most Irish see themselves as Gaels, with many also acknowledging their ancestry from within continental Europe, particularly Spain. Maybe that's the clue to the preponderance of blue-eyed and black haired Irish...celtic eyes, Spanish colouring.

I don't subscribe to your claim that the Irish try to exaggerate their individualism any more than any other nation. That seems to be a little unfair and bigoted of you in my opinion...or maybe it's just that you don't express it very well and it comes across as having a 'little dig' for your own reasons. :s-smilie:

Nah, just having a dig at nationalism as a whole, especially when it's based, in whole or in part, on a false premise. I've seen a few Irish people claim to be more Celtic than the rest of the British Isles whilst not acknowledging that England derives its past from what is now Euskaria, not Anglosaxons. I've always felt Wales, out of all the areas in the British Isles, had the best claim in being most Celtic, mostly because their native language is the strongest going. One thing I can't stand, Irish or otherwise, are nationalists who cannot speak their own native tongue properly.
Reply 70
NDGAARONDI
Nah, just having a dig at nationalism as a whole, especially when it's based, in whole or in part, on a false premise. I've seen a few Irish people claim to be more Celtic than the rest of the British Isles whilst not acknowledging that England derives its past from what is now Euskaria, not Anglosaxons. I've always felt Wales, out of all the areas in the British Isles, had the best claim in being most Celtic, mostly because their native language is the strongest going. One thing I can't stand, Irish or otherwise, are nationalists who cannot speak their own native tongue properly.

Firstly, I do not buy into the whole notion of Irish people claiming to be more Celtic than anyone else; we have a distinct culture and heritage that is instantly recognisable throughout the world and of which we take huge pride (and rightly so). Secondly, I would question as to whether you have actually been to Ireland, and seen the extent in which the Irish Language is spoken (you'd be surprised); I'd be pretty sure there are more Irish speakers than there are Welsh. Thirdly, you cannot have any qualms with us Irish Nationalists who do not speak their native tongue; whether it be badly or not; thanks to the Brits introducing penal laws the Irish Language was virtually wiped out.
Major trolling by the OP and the itty bitty nationalists were just too quick to jump to the bait, as per usual
Rich B*tch
Their country is falling apart, yet they continue to overcompensate and bang on about how happy they are to be independent from the UK. Ok, we get it, you have your own chunk of land!

I just find that most Irish people continue to have some anachronistic chip on their shoulder with regards to Britain.

I also find it highly ironic that nationalists campaigned, barbarically, for years for a sovereign parliament/judiciary and to be free of the shackles of unions and empires, yet they then proceed to throw away their parliamentary sovereignty and welcome their EU overlords with open arms!

Disclaimer: Not all Irish people have an inferiority complex or are zealous nationalists; however, I believe it is a significant proportion of the population.

Have you even the slightest idea what Britain did over there?
irish88
Firstly, I do not buy into the whole notion of Irish people claiming to be more Celtic than anyone else; we have a distinct culture and heritage that is instantly recognisable throughout the world and of which we take huge pride (and rightly so). Secondly, I would question as to whether you have actually been to Ireland, and seen the extent in which the Irish Language is spoken (you'd be surprised); I'd be pretty sure there are more Irish speakers than there are Welsh. Thirdly, you cannot have any qualms with us Irish Nationalists who do not speak their native tongue; whether it be badly or not; thanks to the Brits introducing penal laws the Irish Language was virtually wiped out.

Penal laws pretty much stopping Catholic Irish people from getting any kind of an education.
irish88
you cannot have any qualms with us Irish Nationalists who do not speak their native tongue; whether it be badly or not; thanks to the Brits introducing penal laws the Irish Language was virtually wiped out.

There's only so much you can blame for previous colonial regimes, and you have to take responsibility for speaking as much of the language as you can. Sure, you have to take into account of previous regimes' attempts to wipe out a language but that hasn't stopped South American indigenous languages reviving after the Spanish Conquest. The same with the Cherokee, and other native Americans', languages and cultures.

I've always found it amusing when people are proud of heritage and culture that they are attached to by national ancestry. If someone was to create a thread on here saying they are proud of their national culture/heritage, whether it is Irish or anyone else, people would hardly batter an eyelid. If another person substituted national heritage/culture for being white, a **** storm follows. Are they really any different to each other?
Reply 75
Any nationalism is silly and born out of some kind of complex. We are all from the same piece of rock; we are all the same species. Unite the world, share resources appropriately and provide equal opportunity for all.

Why does famine exist when we have enough food to feed the world three times over? Because people are obsessed with garnering some kind of identity and, in the process, treading on others. The whole thing is pathetic. F*** borders.
Reply 76
cellbampion
Have you even the slightest idea what Britain did over there?

I'm not sure "Britain" can do anything. The British government, perhaps - well, they did no worse in Ireland than they did in Great Britain proper.
Reply 77
irish88
Thirdly, you cannot have any qualms with us Irish Nationalists who do not speak their native tongue; whether it be badly or not; thanks to the Brits introducing penal laws the Irish Language was virtually wiped out.

Well, the Irish were "Brits" before 1922. Which, interestingly enough reflects my point: it was not simply Englishmen or Scotsmen that opposed or overlooked the Irish language in the 19th century, but plenty of Irish themselves. Take Daniel O'Connell, the great Catholic Emancipator and a native Irish speaker - he supported the language shift to English then taking place. I'm sure plenty of sensible Irish people did, for pragmatic reasons; indeed, Ireland is still reaping the benefits of that change today.

There were never laws against speaking Irish - the 'penal laws' generally refer to various waves of legislation to suppress Catholicism and, particularly before the 1801 Union, created a true Protestant Ascendancy. English simply became the de facto language of administration; it was also encouraged by other powerful groups, such as the Catholic church. Indeed, this gentle Anglicanisation continued even after Irish independence!
L i b
I'm not sure "Britain" can do anything. The British government, perhaps - well, they did no worse in Ireland than they did in Great Britain proper.

Which period? English Civil War? Afterwards heading to Ireland and wiping out 1/4 quarter of the population through endless slaughter and burning of crops and kicking people off their land? The famine? shipping all grain and other foods out of Ireland during her greatest crisis to England. Imposing laws on people based on religion restricting them from receiving any kind of decent education, leading to any nationalist leaders being of the protestant religion ( the only educated ones ) . What about shooting people in Ireland before the WOI had even started? trying to quell rebellious thought, shooting on people in gaelic football stadiums, shooting on innocent unarmed protestsors.

They did all that over here as well?

The Irish have been kept down for hundreds of years, all compounding into what forms the modern irish person, permanently imposed on them, they linger with the atavism of their bloodsoaked past.
Reply 79
cellbampion
Which period? English Civil War? Afterwards heading to Ireland and wiping out 1/4 quarter of the population through endless slaughter and burning of crops and kicking people off their land? The famine? shipping all grain and other foods out of Ireland during her greatest crisis to England. Imposing laws on people based on religion restricting them from receiving any kind of decent education, leading to any nationalist leaders being of the protestant religion ( the only educated ones ) . What about shooting people in Ireland before the WOI had even started? trying to quell rebellious thought, shooting on people in gaelic football stadiums, shooting on innocent unarmed protestsors.

They did all that over here as well?

Well, let's examine your premises first. "Shooting people in Ireland", for example, cannot happen "over here" - it's a nonsense claim; equally you've been deliberately narrow in other clauses - "shooting on (whatever that means) people in gaelic football stadiums", how many Gaelic football stadiums were there in 19th century Britain? Hmm?

Some you have of course just made up. The British government did not ship any grain out of Ireland during the potato famine - the British government has never run a nationalised shipping industry, exports at that time - as like any other - were carried out by private individuals and businesses. Ditto, for example, the involvement in education which you raised: from the outset of the government taking an educational role with the creation of the national schools in the 19th century, they not only admitted Catholics but involved the Catholic Church in their governance. In higher education too - Catholic students were admitted to Trinity in the late 18th century: before the Union with Great Britain and before mainland Catholics were permitted to attend the two universities in England!

The rest, however, including bluntly suppressing insurrection, passing laws against Roman Catholicism, the use of capital punishment, using the army against civilians - it all happened in Great Britain, and similar parallels can be found in almost every other developed country in the world during that era.

Latest

Trending

Trending