The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 1
Hey I will be attending Leicester next year if all goes well to study Psychology
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
hey there i have been given a conditional offer to Uni of Leicester to study psychology.
I am mature student studying on the access course at loughborough college and jsut have to pass the course to gain my place, i really cannot wait to start uni! :smile: :biggrin:
Reply 3
I got unconditional :smile: for psychology so happy :biggrin:
Reply 4
hello everyone I also received an offer from University of Leicester. mayby u know on which part of psychology the uni put ephasize?? I'm applying to Liverpool (got an offer), Warwick and Birmingham (still waiting 4offer) as well. And now I'm a little confused which uni choose as a firm and insurance choice. Any advice???
Reply 5
warwick rejected me :frown: and so im going for leicester :smile:
Reply 6
art0704
hello everyone I also received an offer from University of Leicester. mayby u know on which part of psychology the uni put ephasize?? I'm applying to Liverpool (got an offer), Warwick and Birmingham (still waiting 4offer) as well. And now I'm a little confused which uni choose as a firm and insurance choice. Any advice???

While I'm not entirely certain that it's meant to be their speciality. There is a relative amount of focus on the visual system (when it comes to cognition) more so than the other senses.

Just have a look at the third Year modules at Leicester. It should give you an idea of the focus. There's a relatively high amount of focus on biology.

clinical psychology/behavioural pharmacology/cognitive and clinical neuropsychology/visual cognition

While others are more like: legal psychology/psychology of love and attraction (addiction etc)/game theory (economics + psychology)/ environmental (ergonomics) psychology dealing with hazards etc and lastly there's your core components like:

individual differences/development/social/cognition etc.
Reply 7
I've heard from all of my 5 places since creating this post...

Birmingham- Conditional...FIRM :woo:
Aston- Conditional...INSURANCE :woo:
Leicester- Conditional
Coventry- Conditional
Warwick- Unsuccessful (as I expected) :o:
Reply 8
Hey guys!
Which UCAS applicants visit day are you coming too?
Im going to Leicester Uni on Saturday.
Wondering what my mum and dad are going to do while I'm in the Psychology talk...
Reply 9
they can go with you, the one i went to the other week most parents did go, as i guess they want to know what you should be up to :-p
Reply 10
I have a question, could you tell me which uni is better: Uni of Leicester or Uni of Liverpool???
Reply 11
art0704
I have a question, could you tell me which uni is better: Uni of Leicester or Uni of Liverpool???

I've been to both open days, I would say Leicester has a better atmosphere, but really its a decision you will have to make on your own.
Reply 12
ok, but which uni has a better research background and academic staff??
ahhhh I'm going to leceister to study psychology :biggrin:..
Reply 14
Good stuff.

I'm in the 1st Year studying Psychology. :biggrin:
Feel free to ask questions.
Tombola
Good stuff.

I'm in the 1st Year studying Psychology. :biggrin:
Feel free to ask questions.

How's is it going for you? how was the first year.. assessment and etc, oh and do the modules change every year?:smile:
Reply 16
Ahmad Zahid
How's is it going for you? how was the first year.. assessment and etc, oh and do the modules change every year?:smile:

It's been great. :yep:

The first semester is kind of recapping on stuff taught at A-Levels in order to get people up to scratch. I've never studied psychology before so everything's kind of brand new to me. That combined with the fact that I'm doing a course that I love just makes everything fantastic really, at least for me. :biggrin:

Overall, I'd say it's dependant on how you approach it all. While it might be boring for some to go over old material, it's possible to read up on new stuff in your own time. You'll probably find most of your time being taken up by social activities elsewhere in the university though. :tongue: Assuming you're a (not so good student) like me.

Assessment-wise. First Year is pretty good.
You'll do about 4 practical report write ups. The first proper one might seem a little confusing (actually it will) but it's definitely do-able. The topic just gives the illusion of difficulty.

There's about 3 essays (You're given a choice of 3 in each one) to write up about. Personally I wrote about attribution theory and misunderstandings as I'm keen on social psychology.

The only things I'll give a heads-up on about the course is the statistics. You'll notice most people complaining about it, not really knowing what to do, but I'll be honest with you. It's really really not as difficult as most people make it out to be. It's almost as if maths and statistics is associated with difficulty, and people can't get out of that mind-set. Essentially it's just following instructions.

The other thing I'd bring up is the EPR experiments. 3rd Year students ask 1st Year/2nd Year students to do 'mini experiments like filling out questionaires, face recognition, eye-tracking' for their dissertation projects. Most people complain about EPR (24 credits required - one credit is about 20 minutes) but again, it's not as bad as people make it out to be. In fact I enjoyed trying to figure out what was being done and stuff... It's just one of those things that people like to 'group complain about' imo.
Reply 17
Hey Tombola thanks for the heads up sounds brill, so thats good a will most likely learn more new stuff in the first year as only been on an access course that is about level with AS and A2 level.
What referencing system is used at uni of Leicester??? i am currently using the Harvard system, so just wondering i i have to learn a new style when i get there or if it is the same as has been drummed into us by our referencing obsessed but wonderful tutor! also when did you get your reading list? was it before you started or once you had got there for freshers week???
and of course the ultimate question is how much time do you find you are in some sort of lesson, lecture, group work each day??
sorry to blast you with quesitons lol but i am bricking it and i am a mature student who has had to get used to so many big changes in life, i would put this anticipation as high as that i felt before having each of my 3 children lol
Reply 18
Isis Black
Hey Tombola thanks for the heads up sounds brill, so thats good a will most likely learn more new stuff in the first year as only been on an access course that is about level with AS and A2 level.
What referencing system is used at uni of Leicester??? i am currently using the Harvard system, so just wondering i i have to learn a new style when i get there or if it is the same as has been drummed into us by our referencing obsessed but wonderful tutor! also when did you get your reading list? was it before you started or once you had got there for freshers week???
and of course the ultimate question is how much time do you find you are in some sort of lesson, lecture, group work each day??
sorry to blast you with quesitons lol but i am bricking it and i am a mature student who has had to get used to so many big changes in life, i would put this anticipation as high as that i felt before having each of my 3 children lol

You'll have to learn a new referencing system I'm afraid, but it's not that difficult. You'll be partially using the APA (American Psychology Association) system but when you get here, you'll get a handbook completely dedicated to what the format/reports should look like.

Regarding free-time. I'd say in comparison to other universities, it feels like Leicester has alot more free time. You'll have at most 9-10 hours a week worth of lecturers. It's probably designed so that you have time to do the EPR experiments (an additional 8 hours - You select the times you want to do the experiments) and for you to be doing your own reading.

Should be good. I'm sure you'll look forward to the whole thing. There's a mature student on my course who also got into Leicester. She seems to be doing extremely well, and is enthusiastic about the whole thing. I think she's in a sort of similar position as she has a two children herself around the age of 8-12.
Reply 19
Tombola
You'll have to learn a new referencing system I'm afraid, but it's not that difficult. You'll be partially using the APA (American Psychology Association) system but when you get here, you'll get a handbook completely dedicated to what the format/reports should look like.

Regarding free-time. I'd say in comparison to other universities, it feels like Leicester has alot more free time. You'll have at most 9-10 hours a week worth of lecturers. It's probably designed so that you have time to do the EPR experiments (an additional 8 hours - You select the times you want to do the experiments) and for you to be doing your own reading.

Should be good. I'm sure you'll look forward to the whole thing. There's a mature student on my course who also got into Leicester. She seems to be doing extremely well, and is enthusiastic about the whole thing. I think she's in a sort of similar position as she has a two children herself around the age of 8-12.

Thanks for that!! ah the fun of learning new referencing lol only just got my head round Harvard lol but know that it will be a new system will help with a study sklls unit i have to do.
Luckily i do know i will not be the only mature student there this year as i have 2 freinds from my course who will being going too so thats good and takes a bit of stress of the unknown lol

Latest

Trending

Trending