The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Madprof
Double modulus sign (IIxII)
This is used in one of my textbooks as being the "norm" of a vector or function, which is described as being the generalisation of the length or modulus of a three-dimensional vector to multiple dimensions:
||a|| = {a|a}^(1/2) where {a|a} is the inner product (the generalisation of the dot product to more dimensions :rolleyes: )
Reply 21
I want to learn some new maths :bandit:
May I recommend 'Guide to analysis' by Mary Hart.
Reply 22
Gaz031

That was the absolute bible for the naths course at Leeds (mainly because the lecturer took all the questions from the book :rolleyes: )
Reply 23
Supermerp
This is used in one of my textbooks as being the "norm" of a vector or function, which is described as being the generalisation of the length or modulus of a three-dimensional vector to multiple dimensions:
||a|| = {a|a}^(1/2) where {a|a} is the inner product (the generalisation of the dot product to more dimensions :rolleyes: )

Not just to more dimensions, to different geometries entirely.
Reply 24
Gaz031

Great I'll try it out. :smile:

Ditzy
Have you tried the papers I posted?

I've got them saved in my math folder, they look hard, I'll eventually look at them. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys.
Reply 25
Vijay1

I've got them saved in my math folder, they look hard, I'll eventually look at them. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys.

If you do have a look at that book you should definately be able to have a stab at the Real Analysis paper (it was the set text for the module and as I said, the lecturer was lazy!!)

The calculus papers are relatively straight forward if you look into a couple of more advanced techniques as well.
Reply 26
Vijay1
Some details are here: http://www.palgrave.com/products/catalogue.aspx?is=0333794494
The sample chapter isn't really a 'chapter'. It's just the contents and introduction but it's better than nothing :rolleyes: . The book is available on amazon too.
Reply 27
Gaz031
I didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you :smile:
We're taught that 5\sqrt{-5} and i5i\sqrt{5} are equivelant.
Who knows which is preferable...

Lol no problem I did not feel attacked :biggrin:
Reply 28
Ditzy
I'm being picky, but 0 isn't a natural number. The natural numbers are the counting numbers (positive integers). The integers (Z) include 0 and the negative numbers.

Ditzy..i am wondering why you said 0 is not natural number...
if you said the natural numbers are the counting numbers...so why 0 is not part of them...

as far as i am concerned...counting number means something you can count
for example:
i have 1 ice-cream
i have 2 ice-creams
i have 3 ice-creams.........
but i can also say i have 0 ice-cream....
Reply 29
ykl005
Ditzy..i am wondering why you said 0 is not natural number...
if you said the natural numbers are the counting numbers...so why 0 is not part of them...

as far as i am concerned...counting number means something you can count
for example:
i have 1 ice-cream
i have 2 ice-creams
i have 3 ice-creams.........
but i can also say i have 0 ice-cream....

Calling the natural numbers counting numbers is just an easy way to describe them. In some definitions zero is included, but it isn't in others, since the natural numbers are positive integers and zero is neither positive nor negative.

Latest