The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
*Yawn*
Reply 2
go to bed then
Reply 3
It's been asked a million times already, go search for the various answers....but to summarise what they mostly are saying: They're more similar than different so it's not worth the effort in picking out the differences!
Reply 4
gl2748
go to bed then

G'night.
Reply 5
It really is dependant on the individual
For some subjects Oxford is better
For some subjects Cambridge is better
Bearing in mind each is made up of many colleges it might be easier to rank them college by college
They don't both offer the same subjects!!
Reply 6
gl2748
Which one is better...and don't say "It depends on your personality"...Pure cheese

Was there a specific subject you had in mind?
Reply 7
I would have to say Cambridge, although I may be a little biased.
Reply 8
APU. It kicks arse.
The short answer would be:

On average Cambridge is better for sciences
On average Oxford is better for Humanities

This is by no means true of all subjects
Reply 10
visesh
APU. It kicks arse.

I heard King's was your second choice :p:
Reply 11
Tom Holder
The short answer would be:

On average Cambridge is better for sciences
On average Oxford is better for Humanities

This is by no means true of all subjects

But, as you say, that rule is a bit broad brush and it is probably best to avoid such a generalisation. It makes sense to check out the reputation and course structure for your particular subject. I think Cambridge is still seen as being the best for Maths, but for most subjects it is open to debate. e.g. both are equally good for Law, although the courses are quite different.
Reply 12
Oxford.
Reply 13
2 5 +
Oxford.

There's so much wrong with that statement I don't know where to begin :rolleyes: .
Reply 14
Cambridge is better for now as I am applying there but I am sure that by Jan 2006 I will probably be thinking that Cambridge is even worse than Thames Valley therefore making Oxford better
Reply 15
Mop
There's so much wrong with that statement I don't know where to begin :rolleyes: .

he/she is correct:biggrin: - whats wrong with it :rolleyes: ? - oxford all the way:cool: - we oxonians must stick together:biggrin:
Reply 16
Phil23
he/she is correct:biggrin: - whats wrong with it :rolleyes: ? - oxford all the way:cool: - we oxonians must stick together:biggrin:

I can see a problem, right here.
They're pretty similar academically, so I don't think one is really any better than the other in that way, but the same subject can vary hugely depending on whether you go to Oxford or Cambridge. The modern language course, for example, is very varied at Cambridge and very narrowly focussed on literature at Oxford, so it's important to check that out. The atmosphere is very different too, with Oxford being a large city and Cambridge being a town pretty much dominated by the university.
Reply 18
Cambridge.
If you break it down into simply one being better than the other then you don't have an inquisitive academic mind and the question is rendered redundant as you will probably be rejected by either. There are a whole cornucopia of factors to consider and weigh before you make a judgment about which is better for you individually (this may be pure cheese; but sometimes you've just got to eat it, like it or not)!

I suggest you stop being so bloody lazy (as expecting other people to do your research work about it for you suggests...), flick through the respective prospectuses, extrapolate the key information and form a conclusion taking all things into consideration...

Now leave me alone!

Latest

Trending

Trending