The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've just done that - studying at Imperial (finished 1st year and applied for Cambridge this year)

They interviewed me! Whether they take me or not is another question! Good luck with your application - you've got nothing to lose - seeing as you dont have to release yourself from your current uni until you accept an offer from another...

hope it makes sense!
Yes you can. I read somewhere on here of someone getting accepted after applying whilst at uni.
Reply 3
I heard people apply to 1st year, and pretending they are not in another uni
Reply 4
fumblewomble
Cambridge don't usually accept students studying at other uk universites.
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/apply/#other

You have to email to individual colleges for their opinion
Reply 5
I heard that you normally can't. I am currently studying at a Belgian university, but as it's for only one year I was allowed to apply. I did have to write to the admissions tutor to explain my situation and get permission though.
Reply 6
fumblewomble
If you're studing at a university outside the UK then you need to be careful which college you apply to. Some colleges accept students from unis outside the UK, others don't. Best to email the admissions office and find out before you apply.

I already applied - I was interviewed last week :smile: I asked the admissions tutor on the open day, and she gave me her card and asked to e-mail her. As I'm studying here for only one year (doing 2nd + 3rd year of English so I HAVE to stop after one year) she said it would only be 'beneficial' - but like you said, it's best to contact the college early on about this.
Reply 7
mpppp
I've just done that - studying at Imperial (finished 1st year and applied for Cambridge this year)

They interviewed me! Whether they take me or not is another question! Good luck with your application - you've got nothing to lose - seeing as you dont have to release yourself from your current uni until you accept an offer from another...

hope it makes sense!

Did you discuss the issue with the college beforehand/was it discussed in your interview?
Reply 8
fumblewomble
You could do that but you risk having your offer taken away from you when they find out, which they will.

Do you know by any chance why they don't allow this practice?
Reply 9
NesQuiK.
Did you discuss the issue with the college beforehand/was it discussed in your interview?

Both. I emailed them to find out before i applied whether they would consider my application. Unfortunately it formed the basis of my interviews --- all they wanted to know was why i was changing my mind ---hope this helps!
Reply 10
mpppp
Both. I emailed them to find out before i applied whether they would consider my application. Unfortunately it formed the basis of my interviews --- all they wanted to know was why i was changing my mind ---hope this helps!

Did you get in? Which college and subject, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 11
Rvg
Did you get in? Which college and subject, if you don't mind me asking?

I would like to know this also. I hadn't thought of re-applying, but if you can do at whilst at Uni and not conflict with your current studies, I might have another go. Would have nothing to lose!
fumblewomble
You could do that but you risk having your offer taken away from you when they find out, which they will.

How will they?

EDIT:I might add that I am an EU and not a UK applicant who is pondering a reapplication after being unsuccessful this year.
fumblewomble

albatrauuss
How will they?

EDIT:I might add that I am an EU and not a UK applicant who is pondering a reapplication after being unsuccessful this year.

Sorry, but, bump :o:
NesQuiK.
Do you know by any chance why they don't allow this practice?

1. It creates an artificial and unfair entry route. People with one year of undergrad study are going to perform better than straight school leavers. What would develop is a stream of stronger candidates leap frogging school leavers. Eventually, you might not be able to get to Cam straight from school, but would have to do an undergrad year to reach a competitive level. UK uni's aren't designed for this. Neither is the current funding system.

2. It would be unfair and annoy universities such as Imperial, Kings, UCL, Warwick etc who offer excellent degrees, but would constantly see their best students get creamed off at the end of the first year by Cambridge (or Oxford).

3. It would massively increase the number of applicants to a system which already makes more effort than any other university to take a careful, holistic view of applicants. It would be far too burdensome when the chances are very high that the candidate is already on course to get a good degree from a good university.

As point 2 doesn't apply to overseas candidates, there is perhaps a little more leeway in allowing them to make applications. But within the UK it would just make Cambridge an unecessary pariah amongst the university community.
Reply 15
mpppp, just wondering, how similiar is the subject you are studying at Imperial to the one you have applied to at Cambridge? Did you use the reference written by your school or one from your university tutor? Also I'm assuming this is for 1st year entry?
fumblewomble
You would have to lie on your UCAS form and SAQ. Your referee would tell the truth and would have to comment on how you spent the previous year. You can't lie about when you took your A levels since you have to give dates and produce the certificates if you get an offer before they'll let you start the course (and your reference will also talk about them, probably).

Student Finance England or whtever funding body you have used will know as you can't just apply for loans etc a second time for a different course.

You'll be asked in depth questions at interview and if you are at university this is likely to come out.

If you're still enrolled at a university and they tried to make you an offer UCAS would flag that up so you'd have to drop out of the other uni before you know if you've been accepted by Cambridge - i.e you would have to drop aout at the end of the first term.

If you did somehow slip through the net you would have to lie about how you spent the year to everybody throughout the duration of your time at Cambridge. They would expell you the moment they found that you had lied.

Thanks for you reply! Now that you say it, it sounds obvious. I guess i'll just have to think about whether I should take a proper gap year and reapply next year or just start one of the courses I do/will get an offer for and letting go of the idea of Cambridge (at least for undergrad studies). Again, thanks for the very informative reply.
hey,
im thinking of applying to cambridge this year. Im an international, and i was enrolled at a university for 3 months over the past year, but then i cancelled my enrollment because the place sucked. So can i still apply to Cambridge just as an undergraduate?
yep.
Reply 19
i'm doing the same. what was the uni you did go to? can't be worse than mine.

Latest

Trending

Trending