The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lordbonney
Some drugs cause deaths the same as alcohol and tobacco, but many dont. Deaths due to ones such as cannabis and E are very low, and ones due to shrooms, LSD or mescaline are almost non existent. You cant just say 'drugs are bad', some are some arent. Same as some drinking is fine, some is problematic. 'Drugs' covers a huge amount of substances!

And I still dont see why it isnt OK if I take mescaline?

This is why it isn't okay to take it or it would be completely legal.
Apart from its cardiovascular effects, which speed up the heartbeat and increase the blood pressure, it also: dilates the eyes' pupils, increases the blood sugar level, heightens the body temperature, causes heavy perspiration and nausea.

In large doses, mescaline lowers the blood glucose. In such cases, the user may suffer bloody diarrhea and fall into unconsciousness.

Lethal doses produce convulsions, breath-arrests and heart failures. Death is due to respiratory failure.

(I know I copied and pasted that)

There is a reason certain drugs are illegal and a low number of deaths cannabis is still deaths one is to many.
n00
Seems pretty out of line with reality to me.

whats the reality then nobody dies from drug misuse?

If you think its ok to take drugs then thats your opinion but I hope you never see what they can really do to a person in a short period of time.
katierattray
This is why it isn't okay to take it or it would be completely legal.
Apart from its cardiovascular effects, which speed up the heartbeat and increase the blood pressure, it also: dilates the eyes' pupils, increases the blood sugar level, heightens the body temperature, causes heavy perspiration and nausea.

In large doses, mescaline lowers the blood glucose. In such cases, the user may suffer bloody diarrhea and fall into unconsciousness.

Lethal doses produce convulsions, breath-arrests and heart failures. Death is due to respiratory failure.

(I know I copied and pasted that)

There is a reason certain drugs are illegal and a low number of deaths cannabis is still deaths one is to many.

Im not going to bother posting effects of alcohol as we all know them, and they are far, far worse. And the later effects you described are incredibly rare. Almost unheard of they are that rare!

A simple look at the classification laws will show you that the effects drugs have bear no relation to their legal status. eg. heroin and shrooms are Class A, cannabis is a B, ketamine is a C, alcohol and tobacco are legal. Clearly the effects drugs have bears no relation to their status.
Reply 63
katierattray
whats the reality then nobody dies from drug misuse?

If you think its ok to take drugs then thats your opinion but I hope you never see what they can really do to a person in a short period of time.

The reality is that the majority of people that take drugs do so sensibly and have a good time.
lordbonney
Im not going to bother posting effects of alcohol as we all know them, and they are far, far worse. And the later effects you described are incredibly rare. Almost unheard of they are that rare!

A simple look at the classification laws will show you that the effects drugs have bear no relation to their legal status. eg. heroin and shrooms are Class A, cannabis is a B, ketamine is a C, alcohol and tobacco are legal. Clearly the effects drugs have bears no relation to their status.

I know the effects of alcohol and smoking my uncle lost both his legs and his sight because he drank every day and chain smoked constantly.

Drugs scare me because the classification system doesn't represent anything its watching someone become so addicted to drugs and just becoming a shell its horrible to see also hearing someone fall from a balcony because they are stoned has an effect on your opinion. But I give up saying my opinion because everyone has a view on drugs it all about personal experience.
n00
The reality is that the majority of people that take drugs do so sensibly and have a good time.

The reality I have saw is scarcely different. But its about personal experience.
Reply 66
katierattray
The reality I have saw is scarcely different. But its about personal experience.

Maybe you should be looking at the faults of the person rather than the drug?
n00
Maybe you should be looking at the faults of the person rather than the drug?

It wasn't just one person I stayed in a bad area for a few weeks and I was surrounded by the effects of drugs. But that was the area I know that but how many other estates are like what I saw.
Reply 68
BlueRoses
So if he ends up hooked on Class As, in masses of debt, paranoid schizophrenic, killing himself or hurting her on a bad trip then it's nothing to do with her? Cool.

Please don't start saying I am being naive - I know the above are worst case scenarios and unlikely to happen to someone who smokes weed every couple of weeks but they are still possibilities. Maybe she loves her boyfriend and is scared that something awful might happen, maybe because she's misinformed, maybe because she cares, maybe because he's taking heroin and she just hasn't given us the specifics.

I fail to see what is so wrong with that.

Most the things you've just listed would definetly effect her, which in that case would be wrong, i said if the drugs arent effect her or the relationship then maybe she should get over it
Reply 69
lordbonney
We just get annoyed that we often all get lumped together as wasters and liars.

Obviously we dont always by everyone, but some people on here just assume that if I do drugs that I must be an unintelligent waster with no life other than drugs. Its just a little annoying having to explain that Im not a drugged up mess just because I decide to indulge in something thats illegal for illogical reasons.

Oh I see, that makes a great deal of sense. As in, if somebody is working very hard and has everything in order but has a cheeky joint a few times a week ands is intelligent and responsible enough to not do it to excess, they shouldn't have to justify it or be judged? I understand. On a side note, I agree with what you said about alcohol above. Thanks for filling me in :smile:

EDIT: Wasn't being sarcastic btw.
show him your spotty scrotum.
Anonymous
I have got inspiration from the 'do you tell your partner everything' thread.

What would you guys do if you and your partner had been together for 3 years, long distance, and you found out they had been lying for months about doing drugs?

He swore on his life he hadnt done them - im not really against drugs but i would never personally take them. I was more bummed about the fact he could lie to my face about it, not the actual drug taking. There are other things he has lied to me about but the drugs are the main issue.

So yeah, would you forgive your partner? Im finding it pretty hard to but i dont want to throw my relationship away because of it.

depends what it was tbh.
i would only be lied to i think if i had stood against it. which i wouldnt because in general idc unless its like smack or similar. so the situation would probably never arise where i was pissed off about just the lie and not the action.
Tilie
Oh I see, that makes a great deal of sense. As in, if somebody is working very hard and has everything in order but has a cheeky joint a few times a week ands is intelligent and responsible enough to not do it to excess, they shouldn't have to justify it or be judged? I understand. On a side note, I agree with what you said about alcohol above. Thanks for filling me in :smile:

if the person in question is causing noone harm they should have to justify their habits to noone but themselves.
Reply 73
DJ AgnieszkaA
if the person in question is causing noone harm they should have to justify their habits to noone but themselves.

Isn't that what I just wrote? Your right anyway.
Tilie
Isn't that what I just wrote? Your right anyway.

lol it read like sarcasm its hard to tell over the internetz :colonhash:
A lot of my boyfriends friends are into taking pills and stuff when they are out at the weekend. It doesn't really bother me but I don't do it personally. I asked him once if he did it often and he said he'd done it in the past and on a few occasions at parties and things. This was all ok with me, I just didn't want him doing anything silly, and i asked that he try and take thing as safely as possible. So I asked him a few weeks later if he had taken anything on a recent night out and he said he 'couldn't remember'. Then I overheard from his friends that he has been doing it every time he has been out and has obviously lied to me when I've asked him. Like I said the drugs don't bother me but I don't understand the lying! Makes me feel horrible.
Id say maybe you could be the one at fault. You see your both in this relationship. He maybe doesnt trust youd stay if he told you the truth. Most respectable people who do drugs and lie about it only lie because drugs are illegal. Would he lie about drinking. The stigma of drugs being illegal and breaking the law is going to be scary being honest about with anyone regardless of who they are. If you really love eachother and consider him your best friend you can have secrets much darker than drugs. You may say he broke your trust but did you give him a reason not to trust you about telling him your secrets. Its obvious he loves you because he is omitting facts simply because he doesnt want to lose you not because he wants to hurt you. What drugs? meth and heroin are highly addictive and hard to stop alone. This is exactly the reason why its hard to stop because you have no one that will help you. Especially non users who have no idea what it is like. If you love this man id say get him help if you want him to stop and dont take it personal. I dont know to many people that say its great that i cant function like i use to without spending my money or stealing to get my next fix. Thats addiction. its become an epidemic because these people that can help think people can stop on their own. You need a good sober person that cares or its damn near impossible.
Original post by Anonymous
I have got inspiration from the 'do you tell your partner everything' thread.

What would you guys do if you and your partner had been together for 3 years, long distance, and you found out they had been lying for months about doing drugs?

He swore on his life he hadnt done them - im not really against drugs but i would never personally take them. I was more bummed about the fact he could lie to my face about it, not the actual drug taking. There are other things he has lied to me about but the drugs are the main issue.

So yeah, would you forgive your partner? Im finding it pretty hard to but i dont want to throw my relationship away because of it.

Id say maybe you could be just as responsible as he is. You see your both in this relationship. He maybe doesnt trust youd stay if he told you the truth. Most respectable people who do drugs and lie about it only lie because drugs are illegal. Would he lie about drinking. The stigma of drugs being illegal and breaking the law is going to be scary being honest about with anyone regardless of who they are. If you really love eachother and consider him your best friend you can have secrets much darker than drugs. You may say he broke your trust but did you give him a reason not to trust you about telling him your secrets. Its obvious he loves you because he is omitting facts simply because he doesnt want to lose you not because he wants to hurt you. What drugs? meth and heroin are highly addictive and hard to stop alone. This is exactly the reason why its hard to stop because you have no one that will help you. Especially non users who have no idea what it is like. If you love this man id say get him help if you want him to stop and dont take it personal. I dont know to many people that say its great that i cant function like i use to without spending my money or stealing to get my next fix. Thats addiction. its become an epidemic because these people that can help think people can stop on their own. You need a good sober person that cares or its damn near impossible
Reply 78
I just found out resantly that my long tearm partner has been taking drugs with his mates for quite a few years behind my back . He denied it for weeks till he got dropped in it by his siblings who I had defended him against saying he would never do drugs now I look and feel stupid for defending him when they new for a fact he was taking them . I just don’t think I can forgive him anymore wish I had a magic wand to make it all go away 😢

Latest

Trending

Trending