The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
I don't understand how people can apply to universities and not do their research, i know about Edinburgh and their policy and i haven't even applied.

Most of their courses are stated as BBB, however this means nothing, they accept little less than AAA, and for a course as competitive as economics i expect it was immensely competitive and most applicants had predicted A*'s. It is a top 10 university.
Reply 3
Are they allowed to do that?
Reply 4
BBB is what they say, but not what they want. They want AAA.
Edinburgh is not an insurance uni.
Reply 5
lol LSE Warwick Bristol Exeter left, and it's mid december and no word.

Maybe a gap year wouldn't be too bad anyways.
Mr. Universe
Are they allowed to do that?

Of course they are. University's can pick and choose whoever they like. Edinburgh doesn't hide the fact that you'll need top notch grades for demand courses like Economics - it even says on the course listing on their website! It's a common misconception that a typical offer of BBB means they'll take just anyone. No, you have to impress them and have excellent grades. Then they'll make you an offer of BBB. Why didn't you get made an offer? You're applying to a heavily oversubscribed course, your personal statement wasn't what they were looking for and simple chance.
Reply 7
Edinburgh is like that, thank god i never applied to it. But there are some candidates that are accepted with BBB terms, a freind for 2009 entry got in for Law with just BBB at A level so some offers are what they ask for but generally its much higher.
Reply 8
yeah Edinburgh can be quite snobby
Reply 9

Not that you've endorsed this article, but it pisses me off. Frances feels entitled but seems not to understand uni admissions.
jjarvis
Not that you've endorsed this article, but it pisses me off. Frances feels entitled but seems not to understand uni admissions.

my feelings exactly.... some bits are funny though, especially the comments given by readers afterwards :smile:
Reply 11
theenger
yeah Edinburgh can be quite snobby

I really like how they do it. Means the choose more based on the person than grades, Edinburgh are part of the wider access scheme anyway, taking more in students from lower backgrounds so i really don't see how they are snobbish...they also have massive international student applications due to reputation and the fact EU students get free tuition so it really is competitive.

Also from that point system, i'd have only got 2 points so there must be more to it then that...
Reading the article from TimesOnline actually made me quite glad. One part that stood out in particular was that universities don't care about extra-curricular activities. -I- for one am quite happy about that, as I live in America where any good-for-nothing schmuck can get into a prestigious university simply by having extra-curricular activities and people who actually spend their time studying and earning good grades through hard work and intellectual curiosity are left out.
Reply 13
MJ_Alexander
any good-for-nothing schmuck can get into a prestigious university simply by having extra-curricular activities and people who actually spend their time studying and earning good grades through hard work and intellectual curiosity are left out.

Sorry, I know this is off-topic, but that's not true at all. The point of universities looking at extracurriculars is to make sure one can get good grades AND keep up an activity at the same time. Universities don't want people who ONLY sit in their rooms and study all the time; academic skill is important but they also want students who are well-rounded.

But, transcripts and test scores are always more important. There's no way a university will dismiss inadequate grades because of an extracurricular.
tzareenah
There's no way a university will dismiss inadequate grades because of an extracurricular.

In America it's done more often than you think... that is, a -lot-
MJ_Alexander
as I live in America where any good-for-nothing schmuck can get into a prestigious university simply by having extra-curricular activities and people who actually spend their time studying and earning good grades through hard work and intellectual curiosity are left out.

As opposed to the UK where anybody from abroad who can afford the fees takes priority over home students. I'm sorry but what's the difference?

Will you please, please start looking at what posters list as their locations before you post. I can't imagine tzareenah and rainfaery, who are both americans, are that overjoyed at being patronised.

Latest

Trending

Trending