The Student Room Group

Transition from Arts subjects to Sciences. Good Idea?

Hello,

I have a bit of a dilemma. I am currently sitting my Baccalaureate, and most of the subjects I have been studying in the past two years (the equivalent of As and A-levels) are art/humanities related. I have chosen to take english literature, french, philosophy, history and economics. But now, and only recently, I have started to regret taking such options - and I am telling myself that I should have taken sciences instead (biology, chemistry and maths)... What can I do?

I was thinking of passing my Bac - and during the 3 or 4 months before the UCAS deadline for applications for entry in 2011, I would study the A-level syllabuses for the three sciences, and sit my A-levels.

Is that humanely possible? could I compress two years of maths, chemistry and biology into three hardcore months - and do well?

Thanks,
Reply 1
maths and biology possibly, as maths is learn the formulas and apply them and biology is memorising information, i think. chemistry is harder i would think as you need a deep understanding.
emmakh123
maths and biology possibly, as maths is learn the formulas and apply them and biology is memorising information, i think. chemistry is harder i would think as you need a deep understanding.

Disagree entirely. Yes it's possible for all of the subjects you mentioned, Biology and Chemistry are memory based, Maths, there's only a certain amount of things they can ask, if you look at the old mark schemes. However if you are good and enjoy maths, I would dump Biology and go for Physics (simply because Chemistry is vital for any Biology course), because it will be less work.

Good luck!
Reply 3
A lot of maths at degree level is observing & thinking on your own, it's not just a case of applying formulas
Reply 4
SomethingWitty
Biology and Chemistry are memory based!

Chemistry certainly requires a lot of knowledge, but it's definitely more about applying that knowledge than to just remember facts. e.g., instead of remembering the reaction of throwing a piece of CaCO3 in an acidic solution, figuring the reaction out using knowledge of salts, acid-base reactions and some basic solution-stuff.
Why before the UCAS deadline for 2011 entry? Why not study them for the whole year because you can put down your predicted grades on UCAS so they know you're studying science A levels and you're much more likely to do well if you go to a college and do an A level in 1 year course sort of thing. I don't think it would be too successful to do 3 full A levels in 3-4 months.
phen
Chemistry certainly requires a lot of knowledge, but it's definitely more about applying that knowledge than to just remember facts. e.g., instead of remembering the reaction of throwing a piece of CaCO3 in an acidic solution, figuring the reaction out using knowledge of salts, acid-base reactions and some basic solution-stuff.

Hardly much more. The answers are so pedantic, that it's just beneficial to learn the mark scheme for certain topics, within AS and A2 Chemistry.
Reply 7

I totally agree. With Biology you just need to remember but I find with Chemistry you have to remember and apply the knowledge. That's why I'm crap at it :biggrin:
Reply 8
SomethingWitty
Hardly much more. The answers are so pedantic, that it's just beneficial to learn the mark scheme for certain topics, within AS and A2 Chemistry.

I'm just glad I'm not taking A levels, then. I'd hate working with such superficial tests.
The Dutch VWO curriculum has been very rewarding to me for having a thorough understanding of the concepts of chemistry (up to this level, anyway).
Reply 9
sundance_kid
What is it about the subjects that makes you regret them?

I just believe that sciences are a lot more useful... I also find them more exiting because of their "problem solving" aspect. I'm a bit fed up with my essay based subjects; where I dig up meaning from texts and stuff - it's too abstract, I find.
Reply 10
moomin_love
Why before the UCAS deadline for 2011 entry? Why not study them for the whole year because you can put down your predicted grades on UCAS so they know you're studying science A levels and you're much more likely to do well if you go to a college and do an A level in 1 year course sort of thing. I don't think it would be too successful to do 3 full A levels in 3-4 months.

But I don't think that many universities would offer me a place for biochemistry if I haven't studied sciences for the past 2 years. And how would I (they) predict my grades? I've been predicted an 87% on my bac, which has some weight, but they have no way of knowing how well I'll do in the A-levels I plan to sit.

They'll obviously think I'm motivated, but I'll have no proof to back up my interest...
Christelle19
But I don't think that many universities would offer me a place for biochemistry if I haven't studied sciences for the past 2 years. And how would I (they) predict my grades? I've been predicted an 87% on my bac, which has some weight, but they have no way of knowing how well I'll do in the A-levels I plan to sit.

They'll obviously think I'm motivated, but I'll have no proof to back up my interest...

On UCAS you'd write what AS levels you are doing and what A levels you are doing (plus the bac that you would already have done) and then your college tutor writes in your predicted grades for your AS and A2 levels. That way the Universities know that you're studying science. You'd just use your personal statement to explain why. Surely it's that simple? Then you have more time to do your A levels. Anyway, this is the way it's going to have to be done whether you take them in 3-4 months or a year surely because results don't come out until March... and the UCAS deadline is January 15th...
I don't think you could study 3 AS & A2 subjects in 3 months and come away with A grades, maybe in a year yes but not in 3 months the sheer volume of work is massive there is a reason we take 2 years to do 3/4 subjects and at my school nobody managed to get an A in chemistry AS having studied it for a year, remember all the syllabuses have changed as well so their arn't even any past papers to sit. I'd advise taking a gap year and doing 3 but from a centre where you can be taught such as MPW in London or Cambridge....
Reply 13
Hey, thanks for all your comments. I think that my idea of a transition to the sciences is a little unrealistic. I feel that I better stick to the arts, and just need to search a little further to find a course that I might like (maybe law or something)... but thanks again for all the feedback :smile:

Latest