The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Why do you not continue with the pharmacy profession? Also, why would you love to do medicine?
Reply 2
Exactly, why do you want to do another degree? It seems you're not too sure where you want to go after this one so jumping into another one right away would be unadvisable. You simply won't enjoy it.

If you already have a degree then you generally need a first class or good upper second class degree to be considered. You may also need any, some or all of the following: UKCAT pass thingy, patient and healthcare experience, decent A-levels and GCSEs.

Have a look at the websites for each uni as they will give you more information about entry requirements for graduate medicine. I would strongly suggest looking at this all by yourself I doubt many of us on here have looked into such things but by looking at it yourself will at least show some initiative in your desired career.
erm..you have just done a 4 year degree, that tbh pays quite well, why do you want to do medicine...also, you have to do the GAMSAT...a gruelling 6 hour test...and it is SO MUCH MORE COMPETITIVE that normal entry, so if you couldn't get in first time, unless you have a 1st from a decent uni, again, why bother
Reply 4
In my opinion, I would critically assess and reconsider my thoughts if I was jumping between dentistry and medicine. What makes things more complicated is, you are deciding between these two subjects after a 4 year course. What I have found is that people who jump between these two disciplines usually want to make a quick buck, (which is a major flaw into pursuing these careers)....
Reply 5
kamichi
I'm currently in 3rd yr Pharamacy...and am thinking of doing another degree when I finish....Medicine ideally - what do you all think? any advice?
Possibly Dentistry....but would really love to do medicine...what would I have to do to get in? I didnt get in after A-Levels...
Thanks.
Kamichi

Why not? Though you should really know what you are getting yourself into.
Its as tough as hell to get in. I have explained this a number of times on TSR, as a lot of people on this forum ask. So have a look at my past posts.

You need a 2.1 or a first in your degree, although some unis like Notts and SGUL accept 2:2 and kings accepts a 2:2 but only when you do a Phd or another masters on top.

You need to go and do a lot of volunteering, medical work experience in a hospital etc to beef up your P.S.

As you know, you can apply through UCAS and genrally there will be one entrance test that you must do either GAMSAT or UKCAT

To read more go to http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/

I myself have thought about doing it since my second year of A levels and Im still determined to do it, BUT I had to do a lot of research before I came to that decision. Its expensive to do and means you are going to be studying for more than 8 years :smile:

P.S. Here is a thread I put up on the medicine forum it will help: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=492677
Reply 6
kamichi - if u have decided to do that, go ahead, but its best to do a few years after ur a qualified pharmacist cos a) got to save up some money, b) hands-on experience to see if you are not a pharmacist-type of person. tbh, there is quite a lot of pharmacists who have done medicine as a 2nd degree due to their own reasons. In conclusion, try pharmacy work for a bit of time after ur qualified, and make a decision then

Latest

Trending

Trending