The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
lc03149
I have applied to the following universities, and I wonder what are my chances of getting in base on my exam results.

LSE
UCL
Warwick
Bristol
Nottingham

GCSE: 6A*s 3As
AS: 4As (A*s for double maths, the other two are music and economics)
Predicted A Level grades: 4As

I am applying for Economics for all unis.

Thanks!

Check out the stickies in the economics forum.
By TAELT top 11 standards:
Strengths
i)High module score for Maths.

Neutral
i) 6 GCSE A*s is a bit low e.g. for UCL and esp. LSE
ii) 'only' grade A modules for Economics and Music.

Weaknesses
i)4 A-levels (but 1 is music)
ii)4 AS-levels: (but 1 is music)
iii)Music not that great preparation for Economics at Uni.

By any normal standards your exam results are excellent. However economics is a very competitive subject and you have picked 3 ridiculously ridiculously unis (Warwick, UCL and LSE) and 2 ridiculously competitive unis (Bristol and Notts) And there is nothing in your exam results that makes you stand out from the grades of many other econ applicants. So by comparison with those of econ applicants your grades are moderate. Hence as you have not got an AAB.2.1 safety uni, you are certainly running the risk of 5 rejections. i.e. with none of your 5 would I be surprised if they rejected you. So your concerns are well founded.

Being positive:
i) certainly not impossible you could get offer(s).
ii) When did you apply? Can you make an adjustment via the 14 day rule?
iii) Have you thought about gap year options? e.g. applied to employer gap year schemes.
iv)the PS is important at selling you as an economist. And it is possible yours is good enough. (Just that many many econ PSs are distinctly moderate when they first start, And if you have not used the PS Helper service or read the Good Econ PS guide, then there have to be concerns in this area).
Paulwhy
Check out the stickies in the economics forum.
By TAELT top 11 standards:
Strengths
i)High module score for Maths.

Neutral
i) 6 GCSE A*s is a bit low e.g. for UCL and esp. LSE
ii) 'only' grade A modules for Economics and Music.

Weaknesses
i)4 A-levels (but 1 is music)
ii)4 AS-levels: (but 1 is music)
iii)Music not that great preparation for Economics at Uni.

Lol probably not..:p:
Reply 22
yoyo462001
Lol probably not..:p:

Yes. :smile: The point I was trying to make was that music is absolutely a top rated A-level: rated as a 1st choice A-level by Trinity college Cambridge (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=810355). Just not as prep for economics. And with the OP having 'only' 4 A-levels (Maths, Economics, Music and FM), that is a particular issue. i.e. FM is valued very much as a qualification, but as an additional A-level not as a replacement A-level. Hence the OP may have issues with subject choice.
What is Double Maths? What modules have you actually taken so far?

Latest

Trending

Trending