The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I got badgered into choosing Oxford because of it's general prestige. I also thought that seeing as it's near London, It would be alright. Then I went there and really liked it =]
My others I chose as they're big city ones with lots to do, and all at least 100 miles from home.
Reply 21
Location, architecture and accent.
Reply 22
doivid
It's my view that universities have prestige because of the quality of the teaching. The tutorial system at Oxford is not offered at many other universities in the world, and that is the main reason I want to go.

yep that's true, It's just that most people I know applied b/c of the name and no other reason.
I applied because I liked two of the places, the last is a last resort. Plus all closest to home. Art doesn't really have league tables.
I changed mine every 5 minutes in the beginning. Firstly, I thought of proximity to my best friend who now lives near Glasgow, so 4 of my choices were in Glasgow. Then, I thought more logically and changed to how well the courses would suit me and the general reputation of the uni. Then had a final shuffle about based on nightlife/social aspect! Quite happy with my choices now, although I'm deeply regretting Caledonian. Wish I could change it.
Reply 25
I chose my mainly based on location but fairly prestigious ones.
Last year I tried university a long way from home (4-5 hours) and really struggled being so far away from what I knew which led to huge weight loss and nasty things. So this time around I wanted to prevent that sort of thing being an issue again.
My parents are just outside Nottingham so I went for Midlands universities and Sheffield, South Yorkshire so nothing was more than an hour away. I want to live away from parents but I don't want to be too far away - laugh at me if you like.
But after restricting myself like that, I went for all prestigious ones I could get in the local area really. Those that I felt matched up suitably with what I'd attained at A Level. Nottingham turned out to be too much of a push in the end (their AAA with my AAB).
Location mainly then :smile: Oh and cities. I like cities.
I've based mine on:

-Course (w/ or w/o placement?)
-Modules
-Overall impression of uni from open day and prospectus
Reply 27
The fact the course is the only one for training.

Also wanted a rural campus, much prefer to be in a smaller community. I like the countryside :smile:

Second choice is because I like the college and the other 3 are fillers.

Doesn't really matter considering I pretty much already have the grades for the first college I want :smile:
Reply 28
I went for the quality of the course, then reputation, then location.

I feel my choices were the right ones.
Where i'd be happy :smile:
Reply 30
Initially it was how good the university was, which narrowed it down to 15 choices or so. Then took into consideration whether they were campus ones or not, which took it down to 9 or 10.

From then on it was slightly harder. Looked at the course a little bit, location played a factor, looked few quite a few pics and read quite a bit about the uni's and obviously some guess work as to which I would prefer. Think I've picked the five I have for the right reasons, and they're certainly not soley academic ones.
I picked random universities and random subjects and haven't looked at UCAS yet.

Should I be scared?
In no particular order
- course content
- location (not in London, not in North Scotland or Ireland)
- prestige of the university (no ex-polys!)
- achievable typical offers
- opportunities for studying abroad
- opportunities for a work placement
- what the surrounding town was like (I didn't realise how rubbish Loughborough was until I went there)
Reply 33
1) Reputation of the course/uni
2) The place itself- how much I liked the environment (I prefer smaller cities so no London unis etc). I actually probably put the most weight on this-I'm a sucker for beautiful places and friendly people on open days
3) Future work oppurtunities
4) A small range of different required grades in case I messed up
5) Facilities to an extent- I like my sport. But this is pretty low down.
I want to be an actor which means Film Studies is the best choice of degree.
1. Achieveable offer requirements, which meant points based for me.
2. Course content - how much info do they give about modules etc
3. Location/Accommodation (hey that rhymes :smile: )
4. Open Days - after having a fainting incident on a De Montfort open day I really didn't want to go there....

Unis applied to + replies:
Aberystwyth - European Law - 280 pts
Chester - Law (single honours) - 260 pts (I think its 260 anyway)
Derby - Jt Honours (Law w/Psychology) - 300 pts
Lincoln - Law & Politics - 280 pts
Lincoln - Law (single honours) - 280 pts

^^ Conditional offers for all, really wanted to go to Lincoln, went on the open day and it was just incredible - good accommodation, great course, lots of amenities (I love horse racing so I'm happy there is a racecourse nearby)....

I would have chose more "prestigious" unis but I did really bad in 2 of my AS' last summer and it's a gamble as to what I get for the one this year. I'm glad i did so badly in a way as otherwise I'dve never looked at Lincoln....
Reply 36
Based on location (near to me as I'll be living at home), reputation, specific course and the campus looks / layout.
Reply 37
I based mine on:
-Location = How long it would take me to get home and how much that would cost, smaller places/cities
-The course offered
-The actual uni (AKA what was it like when I visited)
-Talking to people from the uni
-How much would it cost to live
-Likelihood of achieving their grades.

Also I should say that with the uni's in Wales, the welsh accent might of played a factor too :biggrin:
Reply 38
I based my choices on, no particular order

- Course
- Location. How far on the train from Birmingham, or close to London (I've always wanted to live in or near London. One of my choices is a Birmingham one though just incase I decide I don't want to move away).
- Minimum grades the universities wanted. Although, there will be an emphasis on portfolio.
- If I could imagine myself studying there.

Latest

Trending

Trending