Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are 3D films worth it?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about going to see Avatar but I've never seen a 3D film before so I don't know whether it's worth seeing it in 3D or normal. I can imagine 3D being a bit annoying and distracting from the storyline. If I do see it in 3D do you have to wear the glasses or will it look odd without?
    Sorry for all the questions, I just remember those tacky blue and red 3D glasses when I was a kid and I don't want to see it if it's going to be like that!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    nah its mint. I really recommend going to an IMAX cinema though
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I only have a Vue cinema near me which is pretty damn good.
    I just can't imagine seeing a film in 3D... I don't know what to expect lol
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've been to see up in 3D, yes it looked wierd without the glasses, it would have been unwatchable.

Was I blown away by the 3D effects, yes. I thought they were truly stunning and genuinley exceeded my expectations of what the 3D effect was going to be like.

I'm going to see avatar tomorrow night, just look at the plethora of reviews that have given it a very high score!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you watch a 3D film without 3d glasses, expect to have a headache when u come out.
    3d is absolutely brilliant, sometimes things seem to go right up to your face but obviously nothing's gonna hit you. It's totally worth it!

As for the actual film, Avatar in 2D was alright, but my friends who watched it in 3D said it was focking brilliant! Shoulda watched it in 3d in first place >_<

I'm gonna watch it against next week but in 3D :p:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    When i was watching the trailer for "A christmas carol" in 3D i swear i nearly had a heart attack. Thats all i've seen in 3D.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    you'd be a melon not o wear glasses, because its all blurry without them. The glasses magically make it all 3d and stuff. Also yes, 3d films are really good fun
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Right that's my decision made! 3D it is!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The only things I have seen in 3D are the earlier films which were basically all about making things come up close to you and so weren't good films in themselves. It did give me a headache though and the stupid glasses got so annoying after about an hour I'd rather just buy the DVD.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nah. Whilst the effects are good, I find that anything barring centre screen gets all blurry at IMAX at least. Perhaps when they can implement 3D to a high standard, then yes.
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really? Because a good seven years ago I went to the Imax cinema for a school trip and found that the so called 3-D was simply like the screen was brought closer to you if you know what I mean. Has 3-D cinema improved or something?
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    Really? Because a good seven years ago I went to the Imax cinema for a school trip and found that the so called 3-D was simply like the screen was brought closer to you if you know what I mean. Has 3-D cinema improved or something?
    I beg you to find a consumer technology that hasn't improved in the last 7 years.
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I beg you to find a consumer technology that hasn't improved in the last 7 years.
    Forgive me for my stupidity.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    im going to see it on saturday at lincoln odeon , and if its **** at elast ill know not go bother again
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was really sceptical about 3D at first - I thought it was just a gimmick and an excuse to hike up ticket prices.

Then I saw Up in 3D and it honestly enhanced the film - completely outdid my expectations of what 3D would be like. It's not overwhelming or anything, it just sort of makes the film experience better. Yes, they are worth it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't it mess the colours up though?`Personally I dont think 3d matters that much.. if you want an experience you go sky diving, racing, snowboarding, bungee jumping not sit in a frekin chair stuffing your face watching a damn screen for tw hours.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The old 3D glasses (With one lens in Red, other in blue) could never work with me, becuase I have a slightly lazy eye which has a turn in it when I donot wear my glasses. Thus, when I put on the 3D 'glasses' I could only see through the Red lens, only a tad through the blue one- I cant look properly through both eues at the same time.

Would the 'new' 3D technology be better for me or not??
    Pos rep is available!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i just got back from watching avatar 3D, was awesome!!! was a 3D virgin before that, its worth it just to see the 3d adverts before hand! i would easily reccomend it
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomcuk123)
    Would the 'new' 3D technology be better for me or not??
    Pos rep is available!
    Depends on which new tech you're on about.

If it's the one that has glasses with normal lenses, but ultra fast shutters over each eye, probably not.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 19, 2009
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.