The Student Room Group

Revision / exam technique for AS chemistry, biology, maths...

I have exams for all these in January :s-smilie: but can't seem to get much above a B/C with the occasional A in exams which is hardly great for a potential medic. I'm doing AQA biology, OCR chem and OCR c1 maths, but it's just so hard. I know practicing exam style questions and learning exam technique is important as well as learning the syllabus, but how can I do this when the course we're doing is new (for chem and bio). There are only 1 or 2 past papers for each... :frown:
Reply 1
I HATE MATHS.
sorry, but i had to make that known... i have no idea how to get up to an A standard in 2 week...
Laura373
I HATE MATHS.
sorry, but i had to make that known... i have no idea how to get up to an A standard in 2 week...

But you're taking maths... and chemistry. They both involve quite a bit of err... maths? :confused: :p:
I can see what you mean though. I liked maths more at gcse. In a way I don't love maths, but I like the feeling of achievement I get from succeeding in it.
Rainbow-Dream
I have exams for all these in January :s-smilie: but can't seem to get much above a B/C with the occasional A in exams which is hardly great for a potential medic. I'm doing AQA biology, OCR chem and OCR c1 maths, but it's just so hard. I know practicing exam style questions and learning exam technique is important as well as learning the syllabus, but how can I do this when the course we're doing is new (for chem and bio). There are only 1 or 2 past papers for each... :frown:

maths
take each section in the syllabus, look over your notes on the topics and do textbook examples related to that particular topic, follow this by doing any past paper question relating to that specific section and read the markscheme after this.

youl get your a big man with this method
Maths: past papers, past papers and past papers.
Chemistry: Past papers
Biology: Memorise it, then past papers
Reply 5
Rainbow-Dream
But you're taking maths... and chemistry. They both involve quite a bit of err... maths? :confused: :p:
I can see what you mean though. I liked maths more at gcse. In a way I don't love maths, but I like the feeling of achievement I get from succeeding in it.

I'm not taking maths through choice though! I either do it now, or do extra maths modules at university.
I just can't do it xD especially after having a year out and forgetting all of the maths I did know (which wasn't very much) at GCSE
Laura373
I'm not taking maths through choice though! I either do it now, or do extra maths modules at university.
I just can't do it xD especially after having a year out and forgetting all of the maths I did know (which wasn't very much) at GCSE

Our school made us take gcse maths in year 10 so I'd done no maths for a year too. :s-smilie: Good luck with it. I'm sure you'll be fine with practice. :smile:
Reply 7
I Have No Imagination
Maths: past papers, past papers and past papers.
Chemistry: Past papers
Biology: Memorise it, then past papers

+1

summer exams caught me out in biology. I did too much past papers and not enough memorising and ended up with a B.

Purely past papers in maths/chem got me A's.

Latest

Trending

Trending