The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I was laughing when I answered the first 6 Question but then from Question 7 I received the worst shock in my life for M2
anyone care to share their answers? so i can get a feel of how wrong i went..
Reply 62
lilangel890
I thought 2009 was a very bad year for both M1 and M2. M1 was a lot easier this year, so am hoping M2 will be as well!

and M3
Reply 63
Anger !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 64
R@f@y
Anger !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ich hasse Prüfungen
Reply 65
Did anyone else think there was a stupid amount of 6,7 and 8 mark questions? Usually there's a few 1, 2 and 3 markers but i don't think there was anything less than 4 in that paper.

In practically all of the past M2 papers my maths class has been getting 70+/75, but that exam was ridiculously hard!
Reply 66
lilangel890
I doubt it. M2 has never gone below 55 (or 56) and has always been higher than M1.

This exam was horrendous, the projectile question, I'm dealing with x,y,c,u,H,R and other letters. And the impulse one was weird. Did anyone else declare horizontal as an i vector etc. Really quite annoyed with Edexcel this Jan

I know that M2 has never gone below 55/56, but having done all the past papers since 2000, the Soloman and Delphis papers, which are all practically identical, you can't compare this paper with the past papers; it wasn't representative at all of the previous papers.
For the U one, did everyone get U=1.6U = 1.6

and the R one, did everyone get R=5.1R = 5.1 or something along those lines??

And could anyone explain the last part of question 7 because I remember the question but don't have a clue how to do it:

Q. 7(b):

Show that tanθ=489π226π\tan \theta = \frac{48 - 9 \pi}{22 - 6 \pi} or something like that.

I got the height after putting x=2x=2, I got the height to be 20163π\frac{20}{16 - 3 \pi} and then I got an answer for 420163π4 - \frac{20}{16 - 3 \pi}

...divided it by 6 but then I just couldn't get it to the answer...where did I go wrong?
Reply 68
.:excel4100%:.
For the U one, did everyone get U=1.6U = 1.6

and the R one, did everyone get R=5.1R = 5.1 or something along those lines??

And could anyone explain the last part of question 7 because I remember the question but don't have a clue how to do it:

Q. 7(b):

Show that tanθ=489π226π\tan \theta = \frac{48 - 9 \pi}{22 - 6 \pi} or something like that.

I got the height after putting x=2x=2, I got the height to be 20163π\frac{20}{16 - 3 \pi} and then I got an answer for 420163π4 - \frac{20}{16 - 3 \pi}

...divided it by 6 but then I just couldn't get it be the answer...where did I go wrong?

It wanted the angle from the horizontal, so you had to swap the fraction over, so that 6 was on the top.
Reply 69
This was the worst paper ever. All the questions were 6, 7, 8 marks. During the exam, I rechecked over and over again whether the paper was 6678 and not M3 or higher because it was damn tough. I hate this. I guess I've to resit if I aim for an A* :frown:
Reply 70
M2 was 50/75 for an A in January 2004
Reply 71
Hughh
M2 was 50/75 for an A in January 2004

Even that paper is very straight-forward compared to our paper.
What did people get for the impulse question? i got 5root13 Ns and the angle to be 106.1?
Reply 73
Noble.
Even that paper is very straight-forward compared to our paper.

Exactly. Hence the a grade boundary for ours will definitely be as low as, if not lower than, 50/75.
I'm really worried too, I couldn't do the momentum question because I didn't even think about taking momentum from B and I couldn't do the projectile question too ):

I'm incredibly sad right now because of my M2 and Physics exam ;-;
Reply 75
scarlet-rose01
What did people get for the impulse question? i got 5root13 Ns and the angle to be 106.1?

I split it up into i and j components and then solved it that way. I think the answer was something like that, can't remember though. The angle was then just using the components to work out the angle from the horizontal, can't remember the angle exactly.
Noble.
I split it up into i and j components and then solved it that way. I think the answer was something like that, can't remember though. The angle was then just using the components to work out the angle from the horizontal, can't remember the angle exactly.

Thanks- yeah thats the method i used too.

I know this was one of the simpler questions, but for Q1 what value of 't' did you use to find the distance when it was travelling at its minimum velocity?
Reply 77
scarlet-rose01
Thanks- yeah thats the method i used too.

I know this was one of the simpler questions, but for Q1 what value of 't' did you use to find the distance when it was travelling at its minimum velocity?

Pretty sure it just differentiated to 6t-4=0 so t was 4/6
Integrate velocity to find displacement in terms of t.
Wack in t=4/6.
Hughh
Pretty sure it just differentiated to 6t-4=0 so t was 4/6
Integrate velocity to find displacement in terms of t.
Wack in t=4/6.

yeah thats what i did got something like 38/27? i just wasnt sure on it cos thats the method when finding the max.velocity too..
Reply 79
I thought the exam was pretty tough - I think I stupidly messed up the question on energy (the projectile). I worked out the energy it used against F was 51J, and then for some reason worked out time of flight and said the force was 51N lol. It's 5.1N right? (10 m). How many marks will I lose for that?

I nailed the last two questions and apart from that work/energy travesty above only other thing I messed up was the unknown force one. I like started forming equations involving X acting at some unknown angle, but I ran out of time near the end. It looked like it might have cancelled out and got me somthing (R was in the equation) anyone else try this method?(taking moments about B makes it very easy supposedly). I probably lost like 10 marks in that paper lol.

Oh also, for the proof of the COM equation, was it acceptable to just explain why you needed the modulus sign? I got it factorized down to the same as they had, then just swapped the brackets and put in a modulus sign (explaining why I did it beside)

Latest

Trending

Trending