The Student Room Group

Prime Ministers Global-Fellowship 2010 Thread

Hey!

:wink:

Anyone else applying to this years PMGF?

Just though I'd start a thread.
Yanno, find out who's applied and create a distraction while whittling away the long days before we actually get to hear something off British Council :frown:

Anyone else got short-listed for interview yet?

I think my application must be at the bottom of the pile,
it was sent off around 23:54 yesterday...disgraceful-I know:rolleyes:

Anyways, Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was just about to start a thread, but you've beat me to it!

Am already desperate to know! No idea how i'll wait until the spring... let's not think about it.

Have you been shortlisted for an interview already?! OR do you know people who have been? (you said "anyone ELSE") And I have a feeling a lot of people sent their applications off just before midnight... I was 23.16 :smile:

They rang me twice though, on tuesday night and then thursday afternoon, asking if I was still applying/reminding me that time was running out to complete my application. Although, this is probs because my referee hadn't sent off his end yet. Did anyone else get phone calls? I'm hoping they were ringing because they are desperate for people, but I doubt it! It's such an amazing opportunity.

Was also wondering how people found out about it? I met a girl ages ago at a random youth project who did the first PMGF, and she was like it was the best experience of her life. Also randomly know someone who did it last year, but I found this out today, AFTER the app. has been sent! Typical.

Good luck!
bridgetm
I was just about to start a thread, but you've beat me to it!

Am already desperate to know! No idea how i'll wait until the spring... let's not think about it.

Have you been shortlisted for an interview already?! OR do you know people who have been? (you said "anyone ELSE") And I have a feeling a lot of people sent their applications off just before midnight... I was 23.16 :smile:

They rang me twice though, on tuesday night and then thursday afternoon, asking if I was still applying/reminding me that time was running out to complete my application. Although, this is probs because my referee hadn't sent off his end yet. Did anyone else get phone calls? I'm hoping they were ringing because they are desperate for people, but I doubt it! It's such an amazing opportunity.

Was also wondering how people found out about it? I met a girl ages ago at a random youth project who did the first PMGF, and she was like it was the best experience of her life. Also randomly know someone who did it last year, but I found this out today, AFTER the app. has been sent! Typical.

Good luck!

YAY!

Another applicant!:biggrin:

And here's me thinking i'd have NO replies...
It feels good to actually be part of the application process now and that the whole shebang cud actually happen! *sigh* brazil/india-here I come <3

But seriously, how nice of British Council to keep phoning people up and stuff, they sent me reminder emails like 3 days before too, although, that's probs because of referee issues...let's hope it means they are REALLY desperate for applicants...yhyh -that's what i'll tell myself :smile:

I know no-one else who's applied. I'm the only one from my school, there were two others but they didn't get referees.

After assembly one day, one of the teachers said a few words at the end about it,{a time frame of like 1 min and a half) and he sounded really unethusiastic and 'cr*p', and it was actually like 2 weeks before i went up to him and asked about it, and the website was so fab!. There hasn't been a fellow from my area as yet, let alone a fellow from my school or surrounding ones (although, who knows, they cud have just stumbled at the application/interview stage):s-smilie:

have u got any idea how many ppl apply for it too?
if you type out the url into google 1.2 milion searches come up:eek3:(!)
I read somewhere that '1000's' applied for the 2008 one, but that was the first one and all...

by the way, i have'nt been short-listed...and i guess i'm far from it, if at all...:/

hehe...let's keep things posted on here tho, I will, wether it be good or bad

Gd luk<3
woo :biggrin: i applied too, but i don't think anybody else from my school did..sooo hope i get through it looks AMAZING!
spring_bee040906
woo :biggrin: i applied too, but i don't think anybody else from my school did..sooo hope i get through it looks AMAZING!

awesome !:biggrin:
me too, so hopefully it'll work in our favour:rolleyes:

I just wanna know! *grrr* and I suspect mine will be one of the last ones to be seen as well...
on facebook somewhere, i read we have a 1/6 chance!..well that's only what somebody said but yeah!
I really wanna know how many people have applied :O
Well, i sent my late too..then all these things came to me which i could've put in my application :frown: but ahh well...1 month
good luck! :smile:
spring_bee040906
on facebook somewhere, i read we have a 1/6 chance!..well that's only what somebody said but yeah!
I really wanna know how many people have applied :O
Well, i sent my late too..then all these things came to me which i could've put in my application :frown: but ahh well...1 month
good luck! :smile:

ME TOO!:facepalm:
that freakin sux..especially as I had quite a lot of stuff to draw upon, from some work experience i did in summer... if i don't get in, i'll feel i deserve it for not making the most out of my application!And I keep on seeing stuff i could have phrased better on my application too.
and i dunno how i feel about that 1 in 6 chance :confused: -can't be worse than applying for a competitive uni coruse though can it!?!

good luck anyway!
Jan should fly by, especially since i have exams which i've done minimal revision for , just as sod's law dictates :ahee:
hehe awww i hope we'll be fine ..*secretley hopes only 100 people applied* :biggrin:
ahhh same about the exams :frown: ..what subjects are you taking?
good luck for the app and for exams! :smile:
spring_bee040906
hehe awww i hope we'll be fine [B]..*secretley hopes only 100 people applied*
:biggrin:
ahhh same about the exams :frown: ..what subjects are you taking?
good luck for the app and for exams! :smile:

BY GOd, i hope so!...:rolleyes:
i'm taking biology,physics,enlgish lit.. hehe... not the typical business//ecomonics// applicant, so t'was a bit tricky answering the question 'how the scheme is relevant to my interests/short term plans?' :rolleyes: without writing ' I want a free holiday-*hell yeah*! XD

what subjects do you take?
and is anyone else from ur school applying?

WHYare't there any telephone hotlines to call for support!?! the waiting is driving me crazy! :woo:
ahh same about the ''not the typical business/economics'' 'cos i'm taking chemistry, biology, geography and photography..love it though! :smile: nobody from my school has applied, to my knowledge..tbh i only found out about it cos i was waiting for the toilet and there was this little poster on the wall..thank god for toilets woo! :biggrin:
There's this number though isn't there: +44 (0)207 389 4826/4465
They're on their holidays though, until Jan 4th
Arghh..waiting! i can't wait for jan to fly by 'cos of exams
Have you found out if anybody else has applied? There's this group on fb for 2010 applicants but loads of them are from last years PMGF so i don't know really
spring_bee040906
ahh same about the ''not the typical business/economics'' 'cos i'm taking chemistry, biology, geography and photography..love it though! :smile: nobody from my school has applied, to my knowledge..tbh i only found out about it cos i was waiting for the toilet and there was this little poster on the wall..thank god for toilets woo! :biggrin:
There's this number though isn't there: +44 (0)207 389 4826/4465
They're on their holidays though, until Jan 4th
Arghh..waiting! i can't wait for jan to fly by 'cos of exams
Have you found out if anybody else has applied? There's this group on fb for 2010 applicants but loads of them are from last years PMGF so i don't know really

hehe..lol tht's so funny cuz there is a massive A3 poster just outside our common room which I only noticed after applying! -it must be fate!
-lol in all honesty, i've got no real reason to phone up the hotline, i'll just keep phone up everday asking'SO.........how's my application coming along, am i in?'
-instead, i've decided to just distract myself with exam revision until then... :woo:
I must join said FB group.
I don't know anyone else who's applied...I think i'm the only one who did from my school,I spoke to 2 of the other potential applicants a few days before the deadline, but the they did'nt know if they would be able to get a teacher reference on time, and they had'nt started on their applications yet.

are u doing 4 a levels then?
i once did chem...that's not a chapter in my life that went well :biggrin:
yeah, i think people WOULD apply if they knew about it..but i'm not complaining lol :biggrin: how did you hear about it btw?
i wish i could distract myself with revision lol- i'm trying!
Well i started my AS but had to take a year out of school so i'm doing them this year and i'll probably carry all 4 next year too 'cos photography is just fun and easy lol
I like half of my chem course and the other half is just..oh God :| ..too many calculations, i'm sooo a definitions girl lol :biggrin:
spring_bee040906
yeah, i think people WOULD apply if they knew about it..but i'm not complaining lol :biggrin: how did you hear about it btw?
i wish i could distract myself with revision lol- i'm trying!
Well i started my AS but had to take a year out of school so i'm doing them this year and i'll probably carry all 4 next year too 'cos photography is just fun and easy lol
I like half of my chem course and the other half is just..oh God :| ..too many calculations, i'm sooo a definitions girl lol :biggrin:

hehe :biggrin:
after yr 13 assesmbly one time, JUST as we were all getting ready to walk out, one of the teachers stepped out and said 'oh, by the way there's a prime ministers global fellowship scheme, and you get to go to china, brazil, or india, come see me for more information.' he sounded unenthusiastic and ppl were chatting. It was actually like 3 weeks before I went to see him-only 2 other people were interested.He gave me the leaflet and told me to find out about it online and... end of! I was hooked:rolleyes:

-photography sounds awesome, do u do it old skool and get to process ur photos in one of those dark rooms? pritty awesome :smile:
chem was fun, but all the stuff that i did'nt understand about chem snowballed and i realised I didn't understand it all,and would'nt somehow learn it all in the few days I always manage to leave for revision. (!!!)

did u send ur application in on Dec 18th too? mine was sent at 23:54 ish- and the last few questions are obviously rushed and could've been better... that's probs not gonna work in my favour, i wonder if they'll over look it's shi**iness *sigh*
lol i hope it works in our favour this year...THEN next year if i get through i'll encourage everyone too aswell hehe :biggrin:
yeahh we do darkroom and digital..i'm STILL waiting for my EMA to come through since september so i'm gonna get me a nice new camera, can't wait!
aww did you do chem for AS then or something? or just GCSEs?
Yeah omg my application. i finished it on the 17th and i was trying to send it but the damn thing didn't work i was like ''NOOO don't do this to mee :frown: :'(''..so i tried it sometime in the evening on the 18th and it went through :smile:
..maybe the last applications get seen to first lol :biggrin: ..i found that question on cultural challenges really hard to answer!!
spring_bee040906
lol i hope it works in our favour this year...THEN next year if i get through i'll encourage everyone too aswell hehe :biggrin:
yeahh we do darkroom and digital..i'm STILL waiting for my EMA to come through since september so i'm gonna get me a nice new camera, can't wait!aww did you do chem for AS then or something? or just GCSEs?
Yeah omg my application. i finished it on the 17th and i was trying to send it but the damn thing didn't work i was like ''NOOO don't do this to mee :frown: :'(''..so i tried it sometime in the evening on the 18th and it went through :smile:
..maybe the last applications get seen to first lol :biggrin: ..i found that question on cultural challenges really hard to answer!!

hehe..ye i did it for AS...got an E :rolleyes:
I could'nt live without my new cam which I got in november for my bday. My last one broke and i had'nt had one for like a year-

It kept misbehaving for me also, and not 'saving changes' too, so I just panicked and did'nt check through my last 2 questions that carefully when it came to like 5 mins before midnight... I put down 'my' instead of 'by' on one of my questions(!!!!!!!!) I just wanna kick myself for it... it blates looks more rushed, but i did manage to get a teacher to look through my first few questions, and they said they were fine, so i hope to GOD that the rest of my application redeems the latter and 'rushed part':eek3:

sounds like i'm not the only one who sent it in on the final day- that's aight: )

I just panicked(!) with that cultural challege one( especially as i only started filling in my answer at like 7pm tht day:frown: *utterly disgraceful*
-I keep thinking of loadsa stuff i could have put in my app instead. I absolutely crumbled at the 'why is it important to understand businesses question...though... that was blagged...

It sucks that there is nothing we can do but wait

:tumble:

*sigh*
aww omg i got an E for my mock..but i didn't really revise well so that's fair i guess. I really want a B..i'll probably have to retake in the summer ahh :frown: ...same i haven't had a cam since forever, i've been using my phone cam which is actually great but y'know crap at the same time lol :biggrin: ..
i know what you mean about the app, AND there was loads i wanted to say and i probably phrased it all wrong :s but in a way did the best i could..i CANNOT WAIT!! it isn't even Jan yet lol :frown: i don't even care about my bday i just wanna know if i got in hehe
p.s. just noticed my appauling grammer/punctuation :colondollar:
spring_bee040906
aww omg i got an E for my mock..but i didn't really revise well so that's fair i guess. I really want a B..i'll probably have to retake in the summer ahh :frown: ...same i haven't had a cam since forever, i've been using my phone cam which is actually great but y'know crap at the same time lol :biggrin: ..
i know what you mean about the app, AND there was loads i wanted to say and i probably phrased it all wrong :s but in a way did the best i could..i CANNOT WAIT!! it isn't even Jan yet lol :frown: i don't even care about my bday i just wanna know if i got in hehe
p.s. just noticed my appauling grammer/punctuation :colondollar:

you'll get your B hon!:bee:
My camera phone is especially crap! I can only take like 4 photo's before the memory's full, and I never download games, music or other app's on my phone ever:s-smilie: piece of junk!

Bday coming up soon?
It's Jan now at least:yes: ... guess I'll be getting my rejection soon :wink:
I did'nt do the best I could have done at the time, but hey...

-have u not seen mine?
aww i bet you'll get in! If i don't, i'll probably apply next year too lol so yay :s
It's so frustrating..i keep checking my app online and it just says ''application submitted'' :frown:
AND i'm worried that they'll read someone else's really great app and then they read mine and think its crap compared :O
Yep, birthday on the 8th :biggrin: :woo: ..nothing to do apart from stay in though as it'll probably be snowing loads :frown:
Good luck for the app again and again hehe! hmm the constant waiting!
spring_bee040906
aww i bet you'll get in! If i don't, i'll probably apply next year too lol so yay :s
It's so frustrating..i keep checking my app online and it just says ''application submitted'' :frown:
AND i'm worried that they'll read someone else's really great app and then they read mine and think its crap compared :O
Yep, birthday on the 8th :biggrin: :woo: ..nothing to do apart from stay in though as it'll probably be snowing loads :frown:
Good luck for the app again and again hehe! hmm the constant waiting!

the depressing thin is you CANT!
YER, if my ends up being the last one, then mine will sound cliched+crap by the time the'yve read the thousand other apps :frown:
HAPPY BDAY For tmoz:banana2: :banana2: ! (any excuse for dancing banana's!)

YEAH! GOOD LUCK TO YOOOOU!

:woo:
I've also applied for the prime minister's global fellowship program and cant wait till i get to find out when they'll announce who's been selected for the interviews. I heard about it from a teacher who gave a notice about this at the end of assembly but unlike the other teachers i've heard about, he was pretty enthusiastic about it lol. I went to see him about it after school and i sent my form off near october. I was sent two emails since then about how their office is closed for christmas but haven't recieved anything since then and i am getting a bit nervous so if anyone does get a reply, please do tell me and put me out of my misery. Also if you've read about the interview, it says you have to watch out for your fidgitty habits and i happen to have a lot of those so yea, bit scared about that too. Goin crazy about this :woo: cause this is such a good oppurtunity and i dont want to miss it. I could possibly help me with uni so i would really really appreciate it if some kind person out there could keep me up to date if something happens.

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending