The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Milan.
oh yeah i have that! i completely forgot about it!
i'll have a look if its got anything useful
thanks

No problem :smile: hope it helps!
Reply 41
Has anyone else done 'Changing characteristics of a river downstream'?
Or something along those lines.
If so, how do you answer a question that asks 'Why was the location of your fieldwork investigation appropriate?' And also, how would I relate skills like chi-squared and Man U Whitney to my investigation? :s-smilie: I've already done spearmans rank.
Ahh, this exam is wayy more confusing than the AS skills paper.
Reply 42
I've seriously gonna die in this exam. Now I've got an ear infection and gone deaf in the other ear. Things suck right now.
CT.91
Has anyone else done 'Changing characteristics of a river downstream'?
Or something along those lines.
If so, how do you answer a question that asks 'Why was the location of your fieldwork investigation appropriate?' And also, how would I relate skills like chi-squared and Man U Whitney to my investigation? :s-smilie: I've already done spearmans rank.
Ahh, this exam is wayy more confusing than the AS skills paper.

Yeah we studied changes in river velocity and discharge with distance downstream.

Where did you do your fieldwork? Can't you ask your teacher about this question?

Anyway in ours, the answer is something along the lines of:

We chose our location of the Afon Anafon river in North Wales because the river is relatively compact and short in length (3km) and allowed us to study all courses of the river in enough detail to gauge a representative sample of the river's characteristics.

Say something similar to that and then go on to accessibility and how it allowed you to carry out the investigation in a suitable amount of time with minimal risks etc. You've just got to link everything together - to the risk assessment, to the hypotheses and aim etc.
Reply 44
thompsonbassman
. You've just got to link everything together - to the risk assessment, to the hypotheses and aim etc.

Agreed :smile:
Reply 45
thompsonbassman
Yeah we studied changes in river velocity and discharge with distance downstream.

Where did you do your fieldwork? Can't you ask your teacher about this question?

Anyway in ours, the answer is something along the lines of:

We chose our location of the Afon Anafon river in North Wales because the river is relatively compact and short in length (3km) and allowed us to study all courses of the river in enough detail to gauge a representative sample of the river's characteristics.

Say something similar to that and then go on to accessibility and how it allowed you to carry out the investigation in a suitable amount of time with minimal risks etc. You've just got to link everything together - to the risk assessment, to the hypotheses and aim etc.

Ahh yeah, I know, it was a silly question, I asked my teacher anyway yesterday :smile: I was just wondering what other people's ideas were.

I can't remember the name of the river we studied, but it was in Co. Durham somewhere...:s-smilie: I should know this really for the exam. It was reletively short meaning we could cover a large area of the river and collect enough data (like you said). I presume you have also used Bradshaws Model of Downstream change as your 'underpinning theory'?
CT.91
Ahh yeah, I know, it was a silly question, I asked my teacher anyway yesterday :smile: I was just wondering what other people's ideas were.

I can't remember the name of the river we studied, but it was in Co. Durham somewhere...:s-smilie: I should know this really for the exam. It was reletively short meaning we could cover a large area of the river and collect enough data (like you said). I presume you have also used Bradshaws Model of Downstream change as your 'underpinning theory'?

As long as the river is real and what you're saying doesn't sound far-fetched you'll be alright!

We used the Bradshaw Model yeah. So you can say that studying the Bradshaw Model led you to begin the investigation and at the end you can link it to your understand of the topic: how anomalies (if you had any) can show that the Bradshaw model is not completely correct or that to really understand the changes in river characteristics an investigation using primary data should be carried out.

Try writing out your fieldwork from scratch in this format and it'll help you out considerably:
aim
hypotheses
method
presentation
analysis
evaluation

constantly assess your techniques, think of alternatives and relate everything together.
good luck! :smile:
Reply 47
This exam is driving me crazy. I can't do any of the stats stuff, my coursework is basically just a big epic fail :frown:
Everybody do bad so hopefully the boundaries are low.

I'll do good.
Reply 49
im going crazy
there are so many things to memorize
and then the section B rubbish
Reply 50
I resat Geog2 today....what helped was reading the marking scheme.
I might do that for the specimen of Geog4a.
I've got a matrix of possible questions, I'm revising by answering them.
Worried about my fieldwork though :/
Reply 51
has anyone got a list of questions or even sample answers that are likely to cme up for section A cos I am screwed at the moment... im doin Urban Microclimates... PLEASEEEE
Hola!
i'm doing unit 4b on Tuesday but the specimen asks about level of significance:
'interpret the significance of your calculated value using figure 2'

figure 2 :
levels of significance:
n 0.5 0.1
12 .506 .712
14 .456 .645
16 .425 .601
18 .399 .564

from that,how do i work it out?
n=17 in this case btw.
I know that if it's aove 0.1 we can be 99% confident in the result and that it didn't occur by chance and 0.5 is only 95% confidence ie 5% likely to have occured by chance but i don;t kow hwoi work it out from that table :s-smilie:

PLEASE help me!??!?!?!
I'm doing GEOG4A tomorrow and i'm reallllllllly scared..
my aim was to determine whether there would be a change in abiotic and biotic factors as one moves inland on a sand dune system in the uk...
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
i hate standard deviation...
and apaprently its 70% to get a b
Reply 54
Exam tomorrow, and ive just had a HORRIFIC biology exam so i have no faith in AQA at all in producing a reasonable, answerable paper.
what are the ums boundaries to get a b on this paper
gilmoregirls1992
I'm doing GEOG4A tomorrow and i'm reallllllllly scared..
my aim was to determine whether there would be a change in abiotic and biotic factors as one moves inland on a sand dune system in the uk...
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
i hate standard deviation...
and apaprently its 70% to get a b

If that is true I expect to get a U. I just had biology today which I have revised for the whole weekend, I hardly know anything for this.
Reply 57
gilmoregirls1992
what are the ums boundaries to get a b on this paper

Same as in every other paper.

A - 80%
B - 70%
C - 60%
D - 50%
E - 40%
U - <40%

However, the raw marks required for these can vary massively.
Reply 58
Ah its tomorrow!

Okay, I'm sort of prepared. But still the exam is a horrific prospect, and the grade boundries don't bode well for me...

Still, chin-up, back to revision! :smile:
Reply 59
I still havent done anything for this yet. Gonna start it in abit. Fail :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending