The Student Room Group

In economy whos better lse or oxford?

well
im from mexico i dont know nothing about apply in british universities im still studying high school.

i have an excellent grades, the sistem of grades its diferent

for example in the past course in math i got 96 of 100 in economy 95 100, ... almost all my grades were 90 95 100 ...
i dont know how to traslate to the brithish sitem grades.

well i would like to apply for oxford or lse, i really dont know wha to do.

if someone know please tell mewhat i need and stuff
please tell me wich one is better?

and the las question is not a big deal, live i london and study at ofxord? how much time take the train, subway, bus ...

thnks so much:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you mean economics? If so, Oxford doesn't even offer straight economics, you'd have to combine it with Management or Politics and Philosophy.
Reply 2
LSE no doubt. As said, Oxford doesnt even have straight economics. If you had said Cambridge or LSE it would have been different. Id still say LSE, but you may like the tutorial system and hence prefer Cambridge.

edit: you cannot live in london and go to oxford university. that would be insane. even if you dont mind getting up early and getting the last train back home early i really think its a bad idea. not to mention the cost involved.
XXXXXLSEXXXXX Arguably the Best University for economics in the world
Reply 4
You won't get into either if you spell the way you do.
both are pretty good and it's stupid to base a decision on the perceived 'reputation', you should consider the course content (LSE = more maths/Oxford=management) and the location (London vs Oxford).
Reply 6
fer_leogarcia
well
im from mexico i dont know nothing about apply in british universities im still studying high school.

for example in the past course in math i got 96 of 100 in economy 95 100, ... almost all my grades were 90 95 100 ...

and the las question is not a big deal, live i london and study at ofxord? how much time take the train, subway, bus ...

Both have an amazing reputation, you'd walk out of uni and into a job with a decent degree from either. And you can apply to both and see who gives you an offer, British students can apply to 5 through UCAS, I might be wrong but I think foreign students can do the same. But in terms of the actual degree I'd go for Oxford, LSE has a brilliant rep for economics but Oxford has one for EVERYTHING. Definitely apply to both though. And Oxford is about 50 miles from London, you wont want to make that trip every day.
Reply 7
Jingers

:ditto:
Reply 8
Jingers

Its not his first language you grammar Nazi.
Reply 9
Wolves130
Both have an amazing reputation, you'd walk out of uni and into a job with a decent degree from either. And you can apply to both and see who gives you an offer, British students can apply to 5 through UCAS, I might be wrong but I think foreign students can do the same. But in terms of the actual degree I'd go for Oxford, LSE has a brilliant rep for economics but Oxford has one for EVERYTHING. Definitely apply to both though. And Oxford is about 50 miles from London, you wont want to make that trip every day.

They won't let people make that trip every day. You're required to live in at Oxford. Even postgrads wouldn't usually be allowed to commute from London, much less undergrads...
Reply 10
jjarvis
They won't let people make that trip every day. You're required to live in at Oxford. Even postgrads wouldn't usually be allowed to commute from London, much less undergrads...

YOU'RE DOING HISTORY AND POLITICS AT EDINBURGH!!! What did they offer you and when did you get the offer (if you can remember)??? Good luck with Oxbridge applications btw :smile:
Reply 11
9a3iqa

If it's not his first language, how do you expect him to cope at LSE or Oxford? Retard.
Reply 12
9a3iqa

But it's true, he won't get into top uni with English level like that, especially at Oxford where they emphasize on essay writing alot.
Reply 13
Firstly Read the sticky threads.
fer_leogarcia
well

How do those grades compare to others in your class.
e.g. what proportion of students get above 90?

fer_leogarcia

Why are you thinking of LSE or Oxford?

fer_leogarcia

I don't see that as an option.
Reply 14
Jingers
If it's not his first language, how do you expect him to cope at LSE or Oxford? Retard.

at LSE we dont write essays (unless you choose outside options which do).

plus, he will have to do the TOFL or whatever its called, and then he/she will be fine.
Reply 15
fer_leogarcia
well

oxford doesn't offer straight economics, cambridge do. as for lse, their economics department is amazing. they will almost definitely give you an offer cos you are a foreign student.
Reply 16
MJlover
oxford doesn't offer straight economics, cambridge do. as for lse, their economics department is amazing. they will almost definitely give you an offer cos you are a foreign student.

come on. do you really believe every single foreign student is made an offer?

as a non-EU student you will be competing with non-EU students. thats the only bearing you have. and your only advantage is that they take about 50% non-EU and there are less non-EU than EU applicants. Other than that its the same amount of competition.
fer_leogarcia
well

Oxford and London maybe 50 miles apart...but its a very busy and congested stretch of the Motorway

You will have to live in london

Living in Luton and Studying in London is just about possible but not oxford and london

If i was you I wouldnt apply for Straight Econ as thats near impossible
Reply 18
Why are you morons feeding the troll.
danny111
at LSE we dont write essays (unless you choose outside options which do).

plus, he will have to do the TOFL or whatever its called, and then he/she will be fine.

LSE100 compulsory from next year :cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending